Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wireless Internet Services in Detroit? Any Opinions?

I was curious if anybody has used this new wireless internet service in Detroit that is currently being offered by a local provider. They are broadcasting from a couple very well known buildings including the Ren Cen and Fisher I am being told. Several of my customers have started using it and apparently it is supposed to be really good. Does anybody know anything about it or began using it at the office?

Apparently this is a business only type of service, the prices are not exactly cable cheap but more comparable to fiber with faster/cheaper options.

My company is looking for new options for dedicated bandwidth, Comcast is not reliable enough and AT&T wants a fortune plus wait six months for fiber.

Any feedback?

Or you could use the free wifi at Mcdonalds.....

I saw a guy a few blocks from the Fisher Building at a bus stop using a laptop. Now that I think about it, I couldn't tell if he was using internet but if he was, I wouldn't be surprised if he had wifi.

Are we talking about "4G" here? If so, I have used Sprint's/Clear[[wire)'s version of that in NYC. It was pretty good, considering there was no hard-wired connection to anything. It was like a DSL connection I could take with me in my pocket. It was that good. Which is to say, totally satisfactory for browsing. Netflix would hang a little, though.

Now I have fiber optic, marketed round these parts as Verizon Fios [[maybe somebody can say if this is the same thing as AT&T's offering in Detroit, though one would think so). Turns out it's an absurdly good internet connection. Based on web-based speed tests, I would estimate it's 30X as fast as what I saw on 4G. Which was ok. But what I have now is truly ridiculous.

I'm not nearly as mobile, of course...

I was actually talking about a wire-line "replacement" service for primary internet service in the office. We are having problems with our current service and are trying to find something more reliable.

We have had some issues with the copper lines that feed our office building, apparently as they age they can become less reliable.

I found the company, it is called 123.Net.

Supposedly this company comes out, puts and antenna on your building and you are supposed to get really good service.

We looked at Fiber, but it was very expensive and is going to take a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Are we talking about "4G" here? If so, I have used Sprint's/Clear[[wire)'s version of that in NYC. It was pretty good, considering there was no hard-wired connection to anything. It was like a DSL connection I could take with me in my pocket. It was that good. Which is to say, totally satisfactory for browsing. Netflix would hang a little, though.

Now I have fiber optic, marketed round these parts as Verizon Fios [[maybe somebody can say if this is the same thing as AT&T's offering in Detroit, though one would think so). Turns out it's an absurdly good internet connection. Based on web-based speed tests, I would estimate it's 30X as fast as what I saw on 4G. Which was ok. But what I have now is truly ridiculous.

I'm not nearly as mobile, of course...

I have 3G Virgin for the first 2.5 Gigs than it slows down to 256 mg for the rest of the month. At $ 50 dollars / per month probably the best you could do now. And no contract. But what I was doing, dial-up at 56.fps?

I'm on a "pocket" connection right now - just a pocket antennae for $89 that will hook you up. Virgin - thank you again. You rock.