Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Date Night In Detroit

So the girl I'm dating has a thing for good wine and she has been relatively sheltered from the downtown bar/hangout scene her entire life. I've been checking a few places out online and it looks like Roast has a really good selection as well as Enoteca Campo Marzio. I know nothing about wine really, so it looks like these have a wide selection of things she'll like. Has anyone been to either of these places? I'm more so interested in the atmosphere, dress, ambiance of the places. I know Roast is a really nice place, but have never heard of Enoteca. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other places to stop in at?

Hmm, Yelp says Enoteca is closed. Number and site provided are not for Enoteca Campo Marzio. Too bad, it sounded good.

Yea I saw that and made a call. Too bad, it looked pretty cool. Anywhere else in downtown worth checking out?

I enjoy a nice glass of wine now and then but am by no means expert. We really enjoyed the presentation and selection at Atlas Global Bistro. The food was good, and the brew selection made the guys in the group happy.

http://www.atlasglobalbistro.com/partners.html

Try Motor City Wine...they are experts and have a large selection of Michigan wines among their selection.

I'll bet you could find something nice at the Whitney!

If you want to impress go to the bar @ the top of the ren cen. they got a huge wine 'cellar'

Motorcity Wine is a cool date spot, but more of a "budget" wine place. Great wine tasting options and the owners know their stuff. Enotecca is now "Vine" I believe. Haven't been there since the switch, but I assume it's the same type of place. I haven't been to Roast simply because I'm not a huge meat eater, but I do hear good things.
    As far as just date spots in general, I love Centaur and Cliff Bells. Not sure how extensive either wine menus are, but they have great martinis

Opus One. Good food and nice wine.

Enoteca/Vine is no longer really a wine bar. It's just another Detroit bar with sort of soul food specials and a few wines and basic bar drinks—pleasant, friendly place but not what you're looking for. I would consider Angelina. It has a big ol' bar that's a good place to sit and talk, and plenty of different food choices of various sizes. Not totally sure about the wine situation, but their website has its own wine blog. Call 'em and ask!

http://www.angelinadetroit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Opus One. Good food and nice wine.
    As fair warning to the OP, I have heard say they're outrageously expensive, at least without a groupon.

Don't google that. There's no groupon for Opus One.

I'm sure they're really quite good, though, but you'd want to know what you're getting into, budget-wise.

With restaurant week coming up, you should have plenty of fine choices if your budget is tight. Now good luck trying to get a sheltered girl to enjoy Detroit!