Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Suburb's eye sore --- the NRPH

Great location , huge amount of land and not in use for years. Take a look.

Looks like it would make a good episode of Ghost Adventures. Someone call Zak Bagans!

Kind of weird watching the video, as I used to work at "NRTC" - the Northville Residential Training Center, on the same grounds.

Which one is the expert who posted the warning?

The cameraman or the kid without the head, feet, and lung protection?

Detroit needs to save that its a beautiful building like the Train Station.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Detroit needs to save that its a beautiful building like the Train Station.
    I read that this will eventually become mixed use development. Or a park if it's demo'd. I personally would think its kinda weird to live in a former mental hospital. But that'd probably appeal to a certain demographic of people.

Back to the main point.... wow this building does not look recoverable. One gets a vision of one of those timed implosions where it drops like a house of cards. Who owns this property?

Here is the information from the Northville Township website regarding this property.

http://www.twp.northville.mi.us/index.aspx?page=63

To the OP - I wonder if you "explorers" [[criminal trespassers) are aware of just how frequently the police arrest people who trespass on the property. You've posted a video with both of your faces in full view. Brilliant.

To all - As you can see from the map of the property posted on the Northville Township website, this is a huge piece of real estate and when it is fully developed it will be quite an asset to the community. The buildings will be removed in all four of the plans that are being studied for the development of the site.

Kelton

That property was going to be a Bloomfield Park type development! Northville Twp has restrictions on density, etc. So property owner [[Schostak) tried to pull a fast one. Set up trailers on the property for 'security' to live in. Those occupants became registered voters. A petition was drawn and election set to annex into Livonia, which would have allowed more development. Required the votes of the residents of the properties to be annexed. No vote needed from the Twp losing the property. Also required a vote from the city annexing. Say what you will about Livonia people, they were not fooled by all the pretty pictures and plans, VOTE FAILED. Even though Livonia mayor and most of the council was promoting this annexation/ theft from Northville Twp.

Ravine Guest

I got halfway through the clip.
    I'm watching a kid wander, aimlessly, through an abandoned building-- one which is "beautiful" how?-- and become momentarily fixated on a piano on which he demonstrates some memory of Schaum's Book One. Later, we meet a dopey endomorph who is accompanying the kid.
    So what?

Am I the only one who wanted a rat to jump out of one of those pianos?

Such a waste of real estate.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Am I the only one who wanted a rat to jump out of one of those pianos?

Such a waste of real estate.
    I hadn't thought of that image, specifically, but yeah, that would have been pleasing to me.

Interesting how they have this spooky, Halloween type music playing in the background as if some leftover psych patient is going to jump out of some room & attack them. I am consistently amused at how teenagers-college aged kids are drawn to explore these old psych hospitals with the romanticism that they'll see some evidence that what went on with the patients in these facilities was like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Four more incidents of arrests for trespassing on that 7 Mile property in Northville Township -

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...t|Northville|s