Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nneka Cheeks [[Kilpatrick Appointee\Cousin) Pleads Guilty to Embezzlement

http://www.freep.com/article/2011092...text|FRONTPAGE

A cousin of Kwame Kilpatrick accused of looting a nonprofit fund pleaded guilty to embezzlement and racketeering today, skipping a trial on charges that carry a maximum of 20 years in prison.

Nneka Cheeks served as a mayoral appointee under Kilpatrick and was chosen to oversee the Manoogian Mansion Restoration Fund, a nonprofit established to restore the city-owned mayoral residence. Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette accused Cheeks of tapping the fund for tens of thousands of dollars in personal expenses.
    The house of cards continues to tumble... And Kilpatrick accused the suburbs of wanting to loot the city, but it was his own family and administration that was really doing it.
    Last edited by Scottathew; September-23-11 at 10:35 PM.

Great time to be an accountant/auditor in Detroit.

The house of cards continues to tumble... And Kilpatrick accused the suburbs of wanting to loot the city, but it was his own family and administration that was really doing it.
    I can't even reply to that, not only am I not a Detroiter now, or suburbanite, but I'm just a rural yokel in the woods. But, truth is stranger than fiction. We haven't seen a political family dynasty like this for 75 years. Al Capone is spinning in his grave with envy.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011092...text|FRONTPAGE

You know what the sad thing is? There are two different ways one can become wealthy: [[1) by taking what you want from other people, [[2) by creating something so valuable that everyone benefits.

The Kilpatrick family already had enough resources to use all their powers to create a better Detroit and act for the greater good of the whole. I was starting my business the same time [[and age) he became Mayor. I remember thinking, "We're the new generation and we can do this differently."

I still believe that is true. We can do it differently. We are doing it differently. And that was more true for Kwame Kilpatrick than for most. And what did he do with all that talent? All those advantages?

Sad, Kwame, sad.

Now I see how the Kilpatrick crime family is fallen.

Another one bits the dust.

I can't wait for the movie to come out about all this.

Folks will have a hard time fathoming the organized criminal enterprise that is Kilpatrick, his family, and his associates.

Yep, another sample of the 'friends and family' plan GONE BAD. Aside from the corruption the justification is a bit much: 'they do it too'... is the usual yah-dah...

Yet they stand up and swear how much they love the citizens of the city [[down for the peeps), blah, BLAH. Yeah we see the evidence!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Another one bits the dust.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-11 at 06:54 AM.

Yep, add to that keeping those same people sated and quiet while the city resources dwindle with the justification that after all 'everyone' steals, thus it is OK... to be corrupt! Our turn! Yeah right.
    Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    You know what the sad thing is? There are two different ways one can become wealthy: [[1) by taking what you want from other people, [[2) by creating something so valuable that everyone benefits.

The Kilpatrick family already had enough resources to use all their powers to create a better Detroit and act for the greater good of the whole. I was starting my business the same time [[and age) he became Mayor. I remember thinking, "We're the new generation and we can do this differently."...
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-11 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Great time to be an accountant/auditor in Detroit.
    I'm sure it's been a pretty frustrating couple of...years? for those guys. But yeah, point taken.

During the height of the KK reign [[and corruption therein) wasn't there problems with the city getting audits out on time....? The rising debt and what all were being hidden, kicked down the road... now we're seeing the outcomes. And living with it - daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    I'm sure it's been a pretty frustrating couple of...years? for those guys. But yeah, point taken.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-11 at 07:43 AM.

Point of information. Ms. Cheeks has admitted that she stole money from a non-profit corporation, The Mannogian Mansion Restoration Society, that was funded by private contributions. While some of the money stolen was probably donated for instrumental reasons by the donors, probably not all of it was. Ms. Cheeks was a city appointee when she assumed her duties overseeing the non-profit , but the articles suggest that most if not all of the money was stolen after then Mayor Cockrel fired her as part of his effort to get the Kilpatrick friends and family out of city government and away from city money.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward's Cousin View Post
    Point of information. Ms. Cheeks has admitted that she stole money from a non-profit corporation, The Mannogian Mansion Restoration Society, that was funded by private contributions. While some of the money stolen was probably donated for instrumental reasons by the donors, probably not all of it was. Ms. Cheeks was a city appointee when she assumed her duties overseeing the non-profit , but the articles suggest that most if not all of the money was stolen after then Mayor Cockrel fired her as part of his effort to get the Kilpatrick friends and family out of city government and away from city money.
    That's what she's admitted to. Just like Kwame, only the surface has been scratched.