Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Science Center could close due to financial troubles

The Detroit Science Center will be closing Monday – and could close permanently – as board members work to save the Center from what they admit is in a deep financial hole.

The news that the Center would be closing, at least temporarily from Sept. 26 to Oct. 12, comes less than a month after the sudden resignation of former president and CEO Kevin Prihod at the end of August.

The Science Center issued a release about the temporary closure along with an explanation that John Miller, interim president and CEO, began an “exhaustive review of the museum’s financial operations” on Aug. 29, days after Prihod resigned.
    “This review revealed an insufficient amount of working capital necessary to operate the Science Center at optimal capacity,” the statement read. “This closure will allow the museum to hold down expenses, conserve operating cash, re-examine the museum’s operations from top to bottom, and work towards developing a strategic plan to ensure the long-term viability of the Detroit Science Center. “

http://www.freep.com/article/2011092...text|FRONTPAGE

I hope this region can come together to save it.
    Last edited by MSUguy; September-23-11 at 05:22 PM.

When they did their extensive expansion a number of years back... I was hoping that they could afford the big addition. They might have overextended themselves like the DSO seems to have done with their large expansion.

I don't know the details of it but don't they make money from the charter school?

It's an outrage. If it closes, I hope that there are some investigations done.

Its a private nonprofit. No need to investigate.

How much does the city give to the Science Center? How much do the board members make? Who could be looting the Science Center?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    How much does the city give to the Science Center? How much do the board members make? Who could be looting the Science Center?
    It's entirely possible that it's just the result of decreased donations due to an uncertain economy.

I don't think anyone is looting it. It was a dream of the Ferry Family [[the same folks who built the seed building where fishbones now stands, and one of whome wrote a definitive Detroit book called Buildings of Detroit).

The Science Center opened in the early 1970's in a storefront off Woodward across from the Vernors plant. I can remember mom taking us there one summer on the bus. That was close to 40 years ago. It could be that the Ferry family is no longer interested or thier money has dried up and no one else is paying for it. Its expensive to run a museum these days. With all of the travelling exhibits and special doo-dads like planetariums and Imax domes don't help much when it comes to being cost-effective.

People are going to drive their Hondas to Walmart and buy some pitchforks, then drive down to the Science Center and demand to know who is at fault.

Had read the article about the precarious state of the Science Center. Have joined a number of groups that I dont use too often and some that I do. Had wanted the city to get rid of the DIA, Fort Wayne, the Zoo and the Historical Museum. When they did I felt I should put my money where my mouth is. I'm still working. Went to the Science Centers web site to check out what a membership costs. It was $170 per year for a basic membership. Just kinda think it's a bit steep. It does not take into acount people who might want to support an institution but may not go there but once a year.

Ignore everything I just said. Didn't see the buton for the options. Sorry.

Sorry to hear this. Was and still is one of my favorite places to go. Loved the field trips there as a youngster in elementary and middle school.

The Detroit Science center used to be a dull boring facilty since its built in 1978. Now since it was in its faceflift in 2001. The DSC tried to make science fun for everyone for students from different school districts. They even added in that University Prep Science & Math Middle School next door.

What usually kills museums is optimism. They take on debt to expand/improve, and then it turns out they can't generate the income and donations needed to pay the debt service. The Science Center did a big upgrade, and they also spent a bunch of money on the Accidental Mummies exhibit which they had hoped would earn money touring, but didn't. At the same time, the economy has reduced donations all over the non-profit world.

The good news is that the museum is there. Even if it ends up getting foreclosed on, it isn't likely to be converted to a different use. Some group [[or the same group) will figure out how to get it running again.

Years ago I proposal to my teachers of DPS Cody High School to provide a special field trip to the Detroit Science Center. The planned worked and students have a great time exploring the wonders of science.

Maybe they should do an exhibit on "The Wonders of Accounting."

After a display downtown at the CAY building, that's an exhibit that could have gone on tour with an extended showing at the White House! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Maybe they should do an exhibit on "The Wonders of Accounting."

The science center and other musuems are not beign advertised such as the IMAX and other museums in Dearborn and other areas. I didn't find out about the dinosaur exhibit until I had read the Moniter earlier this year. The science center is part of the Midtown attraction and the city should do everything in it's power to keep it open. Fiscally responsible Charles Pugh and others are short sighted when it comes to things they decide to pull money from and things they decide to give fundings to. They shoud stop having these allege meetings pertaining to the situtation in the Congo[[ eventhough that is horrible) and stick to trying to fix the dire problems that is in this city

Perhaps a CPA could perform CPR before the DSC ends up DOA....

Sorry I couldn't resist...and I am always one for a smile no matter how bleak a topic is.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    What usually kills museums is optimism. They take on debt to expand/improve, and then it turns out they can't generate the income and donations needed to pay the debt service. The Science Center did a big upgrade, and they also spent a bunch of money on the Accidental Mummies exhibit which they had hoped would earn money touring, but didn't. At the same time, the economy has reduced donations all over the non-profit world.

The good news is that the museum is there. Even if it ends up getting foreclosed on, it isn't likely to be converted to a different use. Some group [[or the same group) will figure out how to get it running again.
    In the city, in my experience, the more likely, if not 99% of the time, fate for a foreclosed structure is that it will be stripped of anything of value and rendered useless virtually overnight.

Then enter George Jackson in to demo it. We could put up some girders like the Hudson's site. Then maybe one of his little peon friends can write about how great he is.

Any news on the science center? My son is itching to go to one and, while Cranbrook is nice and all, it didn't have nearly as many cool displays. I don't want to trek all the way down to Toledo...

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Any news on the science center? My son is itching to go to one and, while Cranbrook is nice and all, it didn't have nearly as many cool displays. I don't want to trek all the way down to Toledo...
    There is no Science Center in Toledo that I am aware of. COSI has been long gone!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There is no Science Center in Toledo that I am aware of. COSI has been long gone!
    They reopened it a couple of years ago, it's been renamed the Imagination Station. We went there a year ago - it was really nice, but a bit out of the way.

Detroit does need a Science Center. From the experiences in the other cities like Toledo, it looks like they come and go. So they must be very difficult to keep running. Strong management appears essential. And it looks like the auto companies are going to see to that.

This is exactly what should be happening. Failing leadership and financial stewardship is going to be replaced. That's what happens when you fail. You get replaced.

GM failed. Their leadership and ownership was replaced [[to a great degree). Now they're becoming successful -- and investing in their community.

We're fortunate to live in a time when financial pressure are resulting in making our future more effective and efficient.

More of this, and we can have a prosperous, educated, and viable community.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Detroit does need a Science Center. From the experiences in the other cities like Toledo, it looks like they come and go. So they must be very difficult to keep running. Strong management appears essential. And it looks like the auto companies are going to see to that.

This is exactly what should be happening. Failing leadership and financial stewardship is going to be replaced. That's what happens when you fail. You get replaced.

GM failed. Their leadership and ownership was replaced [[to a great degree). Now they're becoming successful -- and investing in their community.

We're fortunate to live in a time when financial pressure are resulting in making our future more effective and efficient.

More of this, and we can have a prosperous, educated, and viable community.
    I agree that their leadership was poor and needed to be replaced, but they haven't been replaced. The institution doesn't exist anymore.

I don't think an indefinitely closed science center is the way to a prosperous, educated, and viable community. There appears to be no new news or movement on the science center.

The Children's Museum is still closed, too. What kind of message does this send to the world that as a REGION our Science Center, Children's Museum, and Aquarium remain closed?

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again - who the hell would want to raise a family in Metro Detroit? We have actually been planning a trip to Chicago to take the little one to the aquarium. Now isn't that pathetic? So my thinking is that the trip will become permanent. They have all three of those things that we don't give a shit about over there.

In the Lakeside Mall thread one of the folks from out there chimed in that the mall is a great place to go and spend some time. Not for me and my kid, buddy. Not on your life. I'm going to take my overeducated, young "yuppie" ass and my family the hell out of Dodge.
    Last edited by poobert; March-19-12 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast