Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Controversial LAX nightclub in Detroit will no longer be able to sell alcohol

What I don't get is why the nightclub thinks it's being "unfairly targeted" by the city?? First of all, if they're being targeted by anyone, it's not the city. It's all of the neighboring businesses and residents. Second, it's not being *unfairly* targeted...the patrons of its club are legitimately causing ridiculous problems.

Detroit— The Detroit Police Department is stopping a controversial downtown nightclub's bid to again sell booze using temporary liquor licenses secured by nonprofits.
    LAX Club Hangar on West Adams near Grand Circus Park, has used one-day permits every weekend that were secured by two local nonprofits since opening in July, according to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission. Today is the last day the permits can be used, Detroit police officials said.
    "They have been denied," Commander Kenny Williams said of new applications for the special permits.
    LAX previously applied for a permanent liquor license, which still is under consideration, Detroit police and state officials said.
    The club has become a lightning rod for criticism along with some other downtown Detroit nightclubs because patrons have been accused of getting into fistfights, shootouts and causing severe traffic jams.
    Detroit police beefed up patrols and assigned extra officers to quell issues, especially at LAX, but they have persisted, nearby residents and business owners said.
    Young Executive Advancements and Southeastern MI Complex Regional Pain Syndrome /Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy are the nonprofits that each obtained 12 one-day permits for liquor sales, according to the State Liquor Control Commission. The permits were $25 each and did not limit the type or amount of alcohol that could be sold.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110923/...#ixzz1YmOt74Wq

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I haven't noticed anything going on at Kingdom nightclub in the last few weeks, did that get closed after the shooting outside this summer? There were people picketing them when they were still open. . .

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    What I don't get is why the nightclub thinks it's being "unfairly targeted" by the city?? First of all, if they're being targeted by anyone, it's not the city. It's all of the neighboring businesses and residents. Second, it's not being *unfairly* targeted...the patrons of its club are legitimately causing ridiculous problems.
    Simple - these guys figured out a screwy way to operate a bar without a license, and they've been figured out, and they're pissed because it's a big money machine. I wonder what kind of liability insurance anyone had for the several weeks they were operating this way?

The intent of the charity license is for nonprofits to make money selling beer at festivals, and such things. The law about it is open-ended enough to allow a thing like this to happen, but [[as the article said) the police have to approve the one-day licenses. So the police have figured out, that for this situation, the time for approving licenses has come to an end.

The owners haven't a leg to stand on so they cry persecution. Happens all the time. If you know you haven't a case, scream to the press about how unfair the world is.

Mitchell said using the nonprofits helps the organizations and his business while he waits to see if he will be approved for a permanent liquor license.
    "We are trying to do everything the right way," he said in July. "We are trying to do something different downtown."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110923/...#ixzz1Yn17i3CX
    Uh.. No you aren't. You are exploiting a loophole to sidestep the process any legitimate bar needs to go through. Incidentally the process is in place to curb the exact problems attributed to the club. So, fuck you Omar. Get a liquor license.

ps. let's see to the totals on what the non profit's got.

Wow, what a lot of liability for the non-profits. They are on the hook if someone is over-served and has an accident. At least on paper they are. These groups can't be too legitimate to take on liabilities for a nightclub.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Wow, what a lot of liability for the non-profits. They are on the hook if someone is over-served and has an accident. At least on paper they are. These groups can't be too legitimate to take on liabilities for a nightclub.
    The foundation is interesting. RSD is a real condition for SOME people, but it is also used as a "diagnosis" in many lawsuits [[some would say frivolous) where no real objective injury exists.

I too am curious about the "non-profits"? Just what non-profit uses a night club as a fund raising function? I know it's not the United Way or Hudson-Merrill-Palmer? Or is the term "charity" and "non-profit" mutually exclusive here?

The Young Executives Advancement group is registered in Lansing as at 20234 Packard St. Detroit. Wayne County records show that this property is owned by Mernetta Foutner. She didn''t pay 2009 or 2010 prperty taxes on this property.

I have to admit it is interesting to sit at The dirty trick and watch the crowds through the Window between 12-2am. You see some pretty crazy stuff.

Ravine Guest

The place generates trouble all of the time, and they don't even have a goddam liquor license?

Oh, by all means under heaven, absolutely yes to the above-stated, "Fuck 'em."

DPD had no problem busting CAID and that other place on Plum Street paramilitary style. How do these joints live such a charmed life?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    DPD had no problem busting CAID and that other place on Plum Street paramilitary style. How do these joints live such a charmed life?
    It's Chinatown.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What's tricky is that LAX wasn't breaking any laws. CAID was missing permits. LAX had them. CAID had underage patrons. LAX didn't [[or at least haven't been caught with any).

LAX is a nuisance because they circumvented the process to obtain a permanent liquor license by perpetually using "24-hour licenses" that are totally legit. Of course, the temporary licenses expire after 24 hours, and MLCC won't grant them without the local police ok-ing it.

LAX hasn't broken any laws by running their business thus far. In the same vein, no one is breaking any laws by denying them any more licenses.

But watch, if LAX starts serving without a license, get out the popcorn. Gonna be a good show....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I too am curious about the "non-profits"? Just what non-profit uses a night club as a fund raising function? I know it's not the United Way or Hudson-Merrill-Palmer? Or is the term "charity" and "non-profit" mutually exclusive here?
    Actually, lots of fund-raisers are held in bars and clubs. These places commonly advertise rental of space for weekday/night events. Hoot's [[in Corktown), known for it's weekend debauchery, holds fund-raisers for everything from community based non-profits to Detroit officers injured in the line of duty. Politicians looking for campaign money have them, lobbyists, hospitals, even children's organizations. I would attribute this to the new generations of young people who are starting and/or running these non-profits. Their young friends with money aren't trying to hang out at the Nights of Columbus if they can help it.

But that doesn't excuse what was going on at LAX of course.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Actually, lots of fund-raisers are held in bars and clubs. These places commonly advertise rental of space for weekday/night events. Hoot's [[in Corktown), known for it's weekend debauchery, holds fund-raisers for everything from community based non-profits to Detroit officers injured in the line of duty. Politicians looking for campaign money have them, lobbyists, hospitals, even children's organizations. I would attribute this to the new generations of young people who are starting and/or running these non-profits. Their young friends with money aren't trying to hang out at the Nights of Columbus if they can help it.

But that doesn't excuse what was going on at LAX of course.
    Thanks for conveying an objective side-bar to the issue.

What's wrong with you? This is DetroitYes! The policy is to take a side, cling-- like a sheet of Bounce with claws-- all the way to the outer edge of it, and irrationally castigate anyone from the other side.
    Shape up, dammit.

But what you are describing is not what's happening in this instance. Hoot's for example, has a permanent liquor license. The non-profits meeting up at Hoot's don't need to sponsor a liquor license for Hoot's to sell liquor to a bunch of people unrelated to the non-profit and then get a small share of the evening's proceeds from Hoot.

People have held fund-raisers in bars from time immemorial This is far from a new generation thing Not every group can afford - or wants to - buy a clubhouse and get their own licenses and catering, as the Knights have done or the Irish at the Gaelic League and the Maltese at the Maltese-American League. Lots of people just hold fund-raisers at Nemo's or Hoot's or Honest John's or the Ivanhoe.Its not new at all.

But again, the groups that provided the licenses to LAX weren't having a fund-raiser for themselves. They were lending their names to LAX so unlicensed LAX could sell liquor to club-goers.

Ravine Guest

Cripes!! I am cheered, to see that a mannerable debate has sprung loose.
    Is everybody OK? Is a drug-screening appropriate?
    Well, hang tight; it's only 4:25 PM. Some of the Usual Suspects are just now arriving home from work.

But again, the groups that provided the licenses to LAX weren't having a fund-raiser for themselves. They were lending their names to LAX so unlicensed LAX could sell liquor to club-goers.
    Agreed.

I've walked by there more than a few times. Considering the fact that they've been so philanthropically inclined to support these two non-profits, it's kinda funny that the names of the non-profits haven't appeared anywhere on their promotional material.

We have problem bars in Windsor as well. What the WPD has done is state that if police are needed at the troubleesome establishments they must hire an off-duty cop to act as a guard, on the establishment's dime.

Also the Business improvement Association ponies up extra $$ for extra policing because they know they cause a spike in crime due to over-serving. That way taxpayers aren't footing the bill.

Does Detroit do the same? I would hope they do considering Detroit's problem with police responses and wit htheir inability to be everywhere at once.

The city earlier this year allowed police to be hired for security, but there I don't know of any requirement for places having to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    We have problem bars in Windsor as well. What the WPD has done is state that if police are needed at the troubleesome establishments they must hire an off-duty cop to act as a guard, on the establishment's dime.

Also the Business improvement Association ponies up extra $$ for extra policing because they know they cause a spike in crime due to over-serving. That way taxpayers aren't footing the bill.

Does Detroit do the same? I would hope they do considering Detroit's problem with police responses and wit htheir inability to be everywhere at once.
    I remember Windsor had two troubled bars: The Exchange and Don Cherry's. Luckily no gunfire though, usually just fistfights/brawls. We used to head over to Don Cherry's to see the show about 1AM.

But what you are describing is not what's happening in this instance. Hoot's for example, has a permanent liquor license. The non-profits meeting up at Hoot's don't need to sponsor a liquor license for Hoot's to sell liquor to a bunch of people unrelated to the non-profit and then get a small share of the evening's proceeds from Hoot.

People have held fund-raisers in bars from time immemorial This is far from a new generation thing Not every group can afford - or wants to - buy a clubhouse and get their own licenses and catering, as the Knights have done or the Irish at the Gaelic League and the Maltese at the Maltese-American League. Lots of people just hold fund-raisers at Nemo's or Hoot's or Honest John's or the Ivanhoe.Its not new at all.

Yeah, I got that. And it's not illegal to do what LAX has done. This is why the system allows for public input when dealing with privately owned businesses seeking these licenses. So that these places can be dealt with on a case by case basis. If the place is posing a risk to patrons, neighboring residents and businesses, than it's likely they won't be allowed to continue exploiting the loophole. If these clubs were smart enough to stay under the radar, we wouldn't have to go to the city to bitch, and they'd be open for business tonight.

We should be happy the city even bothered to consider what residents had to say. Just 5 years ago, i don't think we would've gotten the same response.

A club on Porter St. opened two years ago that the neighbors weren't too happy about. The business owners came to community meetings to try and reassure people that the place wouldn't turn into the afterhours free-for-all it was before these guys showed up. They didn't have the license or permits to run a full-time bar, so they applied for similar temporary permits LAX used to operate [[not NP though). This went on for over a year and a half.

Things went smoothly for awhile, but when the noise and hours became too much for the neighbors, they went to the state license hearing and to the city regarding the permits. Guess what. No more Porter st. Station.

I'm just sayin, this issue isn't new or unheard of. It's just business.

And having fund-raisers at hip-hop clubs is sort of a newer thing, I believe. I've been frequenting these places for almost 15 years [[way underage I know), and only in the last few years has it become more mainstream for those not into a more hardcore scene. In Detroit, Kwame's era definitely contributed to this IMO.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-23-11 at 05:21 PM.

It is interesting to talk to those who were at the liquor license hearing. Men described as "thugs" claiming they are offering us a business in Grand Circus Park that is a benefit to us. Meanwhile the woman who runs the non-profit was speaking with one of the proprietors in her ear, telling her what to say. Omar claims that he opened up the place with the intention of serving food and being a "family style establishment" but then when questioned about it he claims that his "hands are tied". What does that mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrishK View Post
    It is interesting to talk to those who were at the liquor license hearing. Men described as "thugs" claiming they are offering us a business in Grand Circus Park that is a benefit to us. Meanwhile the woman who runs the non-profit was speaking with one of the proprietors in her ear, telling her what to say. Omar claims that he opened up the place with the intention of serving food and being a "family style establishment" but then when questioned about it he claims that his "hands are tied". What does that mean exactly?
    Wait, you were there? Wow. We need to hear the whole story.

I was not. I just had the pleasure of speaking with those who were. However the assertions by Omar were to me directly. I looked him square in the eyes and said "prove me wrong".