Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Interesting Pictures of Hudson's

From time to time, posters will ask where they can find interior pictures of Hudson's.

The following link has some unique interior pictures from early 1997, just before the building was gutted for it's eventual implosion, to late 1997 as it's fate was sealed.

A favorite picture of mine is the one of the street floor taken in early 97. Despite the years of neglect, the beauty of the grand store is still evident. It's also amazing to me that the main chandelier that greeted you as you entered through the main doors on Woodward was still there.

Enjoy

Ken

http://buildingsofdetroit.com/conten...t-store-photos

The Chandelir was from the Tower [[North) Side of the Building. Dayton-Hudsons had offices in the building until the very early 90's. While the Department store was closed since 83, the building itself was still used. Underutilized? Yes, but still used.

The scrapping took place toward the end of CAY's term. He was furious over it. If he could see the City now he would be rolling over in his grave.

In the mid-90's the building was open for Christmas shopping. It did not go over very well and there were only a few vendors, but the chandelier was working. Heat was being sipplied by portable propane furnaces!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-23-11 at 07:09 AM.

The scrapping took place toward the end of CAY's term. He was furious over it. If he could see the City now he would be rolling over in his grave.
    Coleman Young SHOULD roll over in his grave. Not every problem in Detroit was his fault, but many were. He accelerated white flight, and later, caused black flight. One day, hopefully, we can remove his name from everything named after him. So many great citizens to name things after, and we name them for CAY? Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    [QUOTE
    The scrapping took place toward the end of CAY's term. He was furious over it. If he could see the City now he would be rolling over in his grave.QUOTE]

Coleman Young SHOULD roll over in his grave. Not every problem in Detroit was his fault, but many were. He accelerated white flight, and later, caused black flight. One day, hopefully, we can remove his name from everything named after him. So many great citizens to name things after, and we name them for CAY? Ugh...

And how did he accelerate white flight pray tell?

Hit 8 Mile Road muthafu%#&s

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    He accelerated white flight, and later, caused black flight.
    Do you mind providing some proof to back that up?

By that, I mean how did Coleman Young ALONE [[or "mostly" ALONE) accelerate white flight and cause black fight [[which didn't become a common thing until after his tenure ended).

Patric, I saw the film reel of that speech when he said that. Psip, rest in peace, showed it to a few of us and it was taken way out of context. CAY was talking about the criminals and thugs at that time. He was stating it was a new day in Detroit and they had better hit 8 mile.

The racists and those who saw Detroit's demise used it as an excuse to leave.

CAY, might never have been caught doing illegal stuff but I am sure he wasn't clean either. He was divisive in the community and placated to black voters, telling them what they wanted to hear while marginalizing the remaining middle class whites.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Patric, I saw the film reel of that speech when he said that. Psip, rest in peace, showed it to a few of us and it was taken way out of context. CAY was talking about the criminals and thugs at that time. He was stating it was a new day in Detroit and they had better hit 8 mile.

The racists and those who saw Detroit's demise used it as an excuse to leave.

CAY, might never have been caught doing illegal stuff but I am sure he wasn't clean either. He was divisive in the community and placated to black voters, telling them what they wanted to hear while marginalizing the remaining middle class whites.
    Goat... I vaguely remember something about him owning 1 ounce gold Krugerrands.... but I can't remember if it was in regards to something suspect as illegal... or if it was because of the Apartheid controversy... and him dealing in that currency?

Goat... I vaguely remember something about him owning 1 ounce gold Krugerrands.... but I can't remember if it was in regards to something suspect as illegal... or if it was because of the Apartheid controversy... and him dealing in that currency?
    There's still articles out there - NY Times and LA Times.

Detroit's Mayor Young on Ropes as Allegations Mount : Politics: He faces both a recall and federal inquiry. The civil rights advocate reportedly ran a secret business that sold South African gold coins.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/29/us...nears-end.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-...can-gold-coins

Links doesn't work for the Hudson Building pictures.

Looks like the BoD site is being renovated and all links are broken. Here are others that work.

Pre-demo pics
    http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...-store-photos/

Older photos
    http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...re-old-photos/

I'm so glad they tore down Hudsons so that we could have that large, development ready site George Jackson is so hungry for....