Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dan Gilbert buying two more downtown buildings

This is great news. Gilbert really wants retail on Woodward and I don't see him letting these stay empty for long. I'm guessing he's already talking to people interested in leasing the storefronts.

He is buying the Lane Bryant Building and the Arts League Building
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...gs-to-downtown

I hope Mr. Gilbert lives a long life. Keep going Danny boy.

I'm interested in seeing what he does with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Designerguy24 View Post
    He is buying the Lane Bryant Building and the Arts League Building
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...gs-to-downtown

One thing I like about this sale from the article is this clause: "If the project is not completed in 18 months, a fine of $550 per day will be assessed, up to $675,000 per building."

The daily fine should be higher IMO, but it's a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    One thing I like about this sale from the article is this clause: "If the project is not completed in 18 months, a fine of $550 per day will be assessed, up to $675,000 per building."

The daily fine should be higher IMO, but it's a good start.
    I don't think we have to worry about this with Gilbert. And as long as construction is underway I would bet those fines are foregone. It's the property owners around town that are sitting on buildings as "an investment" that we need to worry about... The Wurlitzer Building comes to mind.

I work downtown and I can tell you that I've seen tons of work being done to Gilbert's Chase and First National buildings, both on the interior and exterior. I don't have a good view the the Dime building, but I think that was already renovated.
    Last edited by Scottathew; September-21-11 at 08:30 PM.

agrahlma Guest

LOL - this is funny, I was just thinking today...Gilbert hasn’t bought anything recently – what gives? I’ve almost come to expect something new from him every week. It's been fun watching his every move for the past eight months or so. GO DAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I work downtown and I can tell you that I've seen nothing but working being done to Gilbert's Chase and First National buildings, both on the interior and exterior. I don't have a good view the the Dime building, but I think that was already renovated.
    Hmmmmmm... weird. There is a video embedded in the DetNews article above taken of the Chase Tower Renovations [[only a few the floors are actually being renovated and in fact there was a dumpster out back on Griswold a couple weeks ago)... First National was just closed on, so plans likely aren't in place just yet. Maybe you should look harder.

I wonder what the heck he is going to do with smallish department stores that are next to each other?

Way to go Dan! Lets keep this up! As long as they stick to a plan of developing the upper floors and putting in street level retail, downtown is going to be amazing in a few years!

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Hmmmmmm... weird. There is a video embedded in the DetNews article above taken of the Chase Tower Renovations [[only a few the floors are actually being renovated and in fact there was a dumpster out back on Griswold a couple weeks ago)... First National was just closed on, so plans likely aren't in place just yet. Maybe you should look harder.

I worded my post poorly. I was trying to say that I've seen tons of working being done there. I see bright construction lights in Chase, and they've been power blasting the exterior of First National.

[[I edited my original post so it will express my intended thought)

I worked in the FNB years ago - glad its future is looking better. Loved the building, but hated working for Honigman - worked for a real b**** of an attorney.

I heard from a Quicken employee that Gilbert plans to move the rest of his subsidiaries [[including Fathead) into these buildings starting in October and the moves should be complete by next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I wonder what the heck he is going to do with smallish department stores that are next to each other?
    With the success of the CityLoft concept, so far anyway, I would anticipate seeing Gilbert trying to either lure more retailers down as part of a similar or expanded concept, or even find a retailer who wants a full storefront... it would not surprise me to see Dan/Quicken subsidize the rent or pay for the buildout or both.

It's crazy to have looked at these buildings downtown sit vacant for years and years and years...and to see actual progress being made. It's unbelievable and so damn cool. I mean, think about that area now...Broderick, Madison, Lane Bryant, Arts League and probably Whitney...I'm simply elated at what's going on.

With the success of the CityLoft concept, so far anyway, I would anticipate seeing Gilbert trying to either lure more retailers down as part of a similar or expanded concept, or even find a retailer who wants a full storefront... it would not surprise me to see Dan/Quicken subsidize the rent or pay for the buildout or both.
    My question was more rhetorical than anything else.

What is this GILBERTOWN!

I know what you are all thinking: will Dan Gilbert bring back Lane Bryant?

bartock Guest

Work has been going on inside the Chase Tower on several floors and the exterior for most of the summer. There have been dumpsters on Griswold most of the summer. Workers have been at the First National building powerwashing and whatever else for the last few weeks. I don't think the Dime Building is being worked on [[don't think it needs it), but Gilbert's real estate company vans [[I think it is called Bedrock, or something similar) have been parked on Fort Street for the past couple of weeks, I presume to go through his new building [[FBC) right next to/connected to the Dime.

Just saw Quicken's latest tv ad on CNN. Dan Gilbert is standing with Magic Johnson on top of a building downtown tossing out free phones to customers around the country. "Direct from Motown to you" says the ad. They also list Qucken Loans, Detroit Michigan in their ads now. Once again, nice to see the city promoted as a positive, similar to Chrysler, instead of hiding from it as they might have in the past.

Circle of life.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just saw Quicken's latest tv ad on CNN. Dan Gilbert is standing with Magic Johnson on top of a building downtown tossing out free phones to customers around the country. "Direct from Motown to you" says the ad. They also list Qucken Loans, Detroit Michigan in their ads now. Once again, nice to see the city promoted as a positive, similar to Chrysler, instead of hiding from it as they might have in the past.
    As someone who listens mostly to public radio and watches tv with a TiVo, I don't see or hear many commercials. However, I did find the ad on youtube. I agree, Don, it's another positive. Maybe not quite at the Chrysler level, but plenty of clever lines and no mistaking they're promoting Detroit as well.

See for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQUTmxulldU

Someone give Dan Gilbert the key to the city already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast