Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Rip rem

Default Rip rem

well, after returning to making good music on the last 2 albums, REM has called it quits:

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

Eh, it happens.

I thought they quit awhile ago. Looking forward to the reunion tour.

Ill never forget seeing REM at the Fox in about 1986. I think it was my first time partying at a concert. I had never smoked weed and gotten high before but there was a dude in front of me at the show with an M1 [[missing front tooth) who was smokin, he sold my lilly white ass a joint for five bucks and I got high for the first time. I laughed all the way home rolling around in the back seat of my 76 Malibu. Driver 8 take a break.

Not a huge fan, I think they're great and all. How long before the reuinion tour?

Ill never forget seeing REM at the Fox in about 1986
    Was that the show with the Replacements and the 3 O'Clock opening? If so, it was 1985. I was there too, but I didn't smoke anything.

In high school, these guys were one of my favorite bands. Although I thought their best work was pre-Out of Time, I still feel like an era has come to an end.

Every time I hear You Are The Everything, I still think about high school romance!

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Eh, it happens.
    Thanks for the wisdom. We all needed you to point that out.

They were one of my most favorites. I saw them everytime they came to town going back to the mid 80s. Although, I think their best years were on IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Thanks for the wisdom. We all needed you to point that out.
    No problem Ravine. I'm always trying to help people out.

Loved REM! Favorite song: Man on the Moon

Out of Time and Automatic For The People, along with Pearl Jam's 10 and U2's Achtung Baby, were the soundtrack of my freshman year in college. I kept listening to REM, picking up most of their earlier catalog, and most everything they've done along the way. Their biggest changing point was when their drummer got sick and left the band. I wouldn't call it a 'dark period' but they definitely got more introspective in their music.

Their last couple of albums have been a lot better, and more upbeatr. I thought Collapse Into Now was great. A fitting ending, as it turns out.

My favorite R.E.M. song is 'Find the River'. It was the perfect ending song to Automatic. Many a mix tape/CD of mine had that song as the final song. IMO, it's such a perfect 'ending' song that I want it played at my funeral someday [[hopefully decades down the line).

Was sad to hear that they are calling it quits but it sounds like they just realized that they've done everything that they can do. There was nothing else on their 'to do' list. Thirty one years is forever and then some in the music business. We were lucky to have them and I wish all of them the best in whatever they do next.