Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it time for John Conyers to ride into the sunset?

For years, John Conyers has been my representative in Congress and I don't think I have never seen him in my neighborhood, I have rarely seen any literature from him and I can't see the accomplishments that he brought to the 14th district. I am not saying that he isn't a good legislator but that he has been out of sight, out of mind for years. His name alone is what gets him elected over and over. It is like scene from The Distinguished Gentleman when Jeff Johnson played by Eddie Murphy ran that commercial that said; "Jeff Johnson, the name you know" and Conyers have played the same scenario over and over. We know his name so we vote for him and Mr. Conyers goes to Washington over and over.

Now that Conyers is moving to the new 13th district, according to this News story http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...369/1408/local Conyers is vulnerable. At 82 years old, Conyers should consider retirement not because he is old but that he comes from a different generation. Same with Dingell but that's for another thread, this is about Conyers. New young blood is needed. We have radicals going to Washington and the last thing we need is old soldiers fighting them with sling-shots. John Conyers has been in Washingon since 1965. It is time for Mr. Conyers to think about the future.

I agree with you 100%

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    For years, John Conyers has been my representative in Congress and I don't think I have never seen him in my neighborhood, I have rarely seen any literature from him and I can't see the accomplishments that he brought to the 14th district. I am not saying that he isn't a good legislator but that he has been out of sight, out of mind for years. His name alone is what gets him elected over and over. It is like scene from The Distinguished Gentleman when Jeff Johnson played by Eddie Murphy ran that commercial that said; "Jeff Johnson, the name you know" and Conyers have played the same scenario over and over. We know his name so we vote for him and Mr. Conyers goes to Washington over and over.

Now that Conyers is moving to the new 13th district, according to this News story http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...369/1408/local Conyers is vulnerable. At 82 years old, Conyers should consider retirement not because he is old but that he comes from a different generation. Same with Dingell but that's for another thread, this is about Conyers. New young blood is needed. We have radicals going to Washington and the last thing we need is old soldiers fighting them with sling-shots. John Conyers has been in Washingon since 1965. It is time for Mr. Conyers to think about the future.
    I agree that it's past time for Conyers to go. But other questions will be:

Is it time for Shanelle Jackson to go to Washington?
    Is it time for Bert Johnson to go to Washington?

There may even be other candidates that emerge over the coming months. A crowded field generally favors the incumbent. As it stands now, Conyers will rprobably win a three way race with with Jackson and Johnson, due to the fact, that they'll split the anti-Conyers vote between them.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I agree that it's past time for Conyers to go. But other questions will be:

There may even be other candidates that emerge over the coming months. A crowded field generally favors the incumbent. As it stands now, Conyers will rprobably win a three way race with with Jackson and Johnson, due to the fact, that they'll split the anti-Conyers vote between them.
    Shanelle Jackson has proven she is electable. She was elected to three terms in the 9th which is Conyers soon to be former 14th. If she could hold her own in Lansing then maybe she can do the same in DC.

I have to admit that I am not familiar with Johnson to commit.

Here's the thing? Conyers' reason for reelection is simple. He is experienced. This is true. He knows Washington politics but I as I pointed out his time has come and gone. His experience should be suited to mentor the next representative to know what to expect when they arrive in DC. We should thank him for his service but like old soldiers, they step aside to let the young'uns continue the battle, not hinder them.

Shanelle Jackson has proven she is electable. She was elected to three terms in the 9th which is Conyers soon to be former 14th. If she could hold her own in Lansing then maybe she can do the same in DC.

I have to admit that I am not familiar with Johnson to commit.

Here's the thing? Conyers' reason for reelection is simple. He is experienced. This is true. He knows Washington politics but I as I pointed out his time has come and gone. His experience should be suited to mentor the next representative to know what to expect when they arrive in DC. We should thank him for his service but like old soldiers, they step aside to let the young'uns continue the battle, not hinder them.
    I like both Jackson and Johnson. I do think that Johnson's criminal background [[even though he's completely changed his life around) will hinder him in a more high profile race like this one. Even though I don't see Jackson attacking him about it. They've actually been tight allies in the past, which is why I was surprised that he jumped out and said he was running in the 13th when she had already told him that she was planning to announce her run there.

DetroitPole Guest

Yes. God yes. When seen in public people are questioning if he is lucid. It is time for several Michigan Democrats to ride into the sunset [[I still question whether Dingell is actually still alive). Yet we pit the two young, popular, energetic guys against each other. Talk about stagnation. Why is Brewer still the chair of the party after we got our asses kicked? The MI party needs to change, especially with the relentless, senseless onslaught of the Tea Party brownshirts.

I live in the new 13th and will not be voting for conyers.

If both Conyers and Dingell leave office, who will be the most senior House member from the Detroit area?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If both Conyers and Dingell leave office, who will be the most senior House member from the Detroit area?
    One way or the another they will have to leave office. The question is: do they walk out or be carried out?

And if they get carried out, who appoints their successor?

One way or the another they will have to leave office. The question is: do they walk out or be carried out?
    Everyone will leave office at one point. I'm not a fan of either Conyers or Dingell, but not sure it's the wisest move to lose your three most senior members in the House in just two years.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    And if they get carried out, who appoints their successor?
    The voters. The governor can only appoint a Senator not a Representative.

I know this is nothing new, but those district lines are total bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Everyone will leave office at one point. I'm not a fan of either Conyers or Dingell, but not sure it's the wisest move to lose your three most senior members in the House in just two years.
    Here's the thing: they may be senior members but they have been toothless for a long time Remember when Pelosi pushed for Waxman to replace Dingell as chairman of Energy and Commerce Committee? How about Conyers? He may be a senior member but his voice is always silent. I don't spit on their long time service to this nation but these guys have had their day.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I know this is nothing new, but those district lines are total bullshit.
    To be fair, they were bullshit before, and they will be bullshit the next time they get redrawn.

I notice that Peters will be facing off with Hansen Clarke in the 14th. I wish he or Clarke would try to take on Conyers in the 13th.

Right now it appears that the 13th is Conyers' to lose. I don't see any of his opponents having enough to beat him. He does have huge seniority and that shouldn't be discounted. Many of you may not like him but, antics of his wife aside, he has represented the vast majority of his constituents on matters that have meant the most to them, particularly with his top seniority on the judiciary committee.

I agree that John Conyers should step down... but likely won't.

As for John Dingell.... why do you think it's time for him to leave... specifically?

He has been one of the most powerful and influential members of the House [[as well as its' Dean since 1995). He does have the longest House service in US history, which I agree is not enough in itself to keep him on.

What has John Dingell done for us? Probably his most important role is his defense of the Auto industry. This is one major reason that Pelosi/Waxman ousted him from the Chairmanship a while back... California has always been at odds with Dingell due to his support of the big 3.

Even though John Dingell hasn't had any of his district actually in Detroit for many decades... it is he who has come thru with the VA Hospital in midtown... the largest single building project in that area EVER.

Granted he is getting old... but as long as he still has a sharp mind... I see absolutely no reason to remove him. Rookies take decades to gain clout in congress.... Detroit and Michigan don't have decades...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree that John Conyers should step down... but likely won't.

As for John Dingell.... why do you think it's time for him to leave... specifically?

He has been one of the most powerful and influential members of the House [[as well as its' Dean since 1995). He does have the longest House service in US history, which I agree is not enough in itself to keep him on.

What has John Dingell done for us? Probably his most important role is his defense of the Auto industry. This is one major reason that Pelosi/Waxman ousted him from the Chairmanship a while back... California has always been at odds with Dingell due to his support of the big 3.

Even though John Dingell hasn't had any of his district actually in Detroit for many decades... it is he who has come thru with the VA Hospital in midtown... the largest single building project in that area EVER.

Granted he is getting old... but as long as he still has a sharp mind... I see absolutely no reason to remove him. Rookies take decades to gain clout in congress.... Detroit and Michigan don't have decades...
    Since the talk has moved from Conyers to Dingell, let me add my two cents. No one in particular me will not say that John Conyers and John Dingell have not done anything for their districts because they have done many things over the years. However, these two gentlemen have been elected for years because of their names. C'mon who believes that a 85 year old and a 82 year old can raise hell in the House? The 112th House of Representatives, full of Tea Baggers? I am not saying that they can't do their jobs but their comes a point when it is time to pass on the reign to younger eager successors who can continue the fight.

detroitjim Guest

We all need to get smart and NEVER vote another politician in for a second term.

As far as these two go....

They need to have Mrs. Sams nipple forcibly removed from their mouths immediately!!!!

Younger eager successors sounds nice...but what good does that do when its' accompanied with greatly reduced clout in the House? It takes YEARS for newbies to learn the ropes in Congress... YEARS!! Can the Detroit area really afford that right now??

When the mayor of Warren wanted to move the GM HQ to the Tech Center in Warren, who do you think called the White House to nix that idea? John Dingell.

When GM and Chrysler need a loan to survive... who do you think called the White House? John Dingell.

Do you think congressional newbies have White House access? Something tells me they do not.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-21-11 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    We all need to get smart and NEVER vote another politician in for a second term.

As far as these two go....

They need to have Mrs. Sams nipple forcibly removed from their mouths immediately!!!!
    Sounds like a nice "Tea Party" slogan.... But look what term limits has done for the Michigan Legislature... we've had a decade of ineffectual leadership from our legislature.

Younger eager successors sounds nice...but what good does that do when its' accompanied with greatly reduced clout in the House? It takes YEARS for newbies to learn the ropes in Congress... YEARS!! Can the Detroit area really afford that right now??
    See this is when the argument ends......

One way or another they are going to leave and the Detroit area is still going to lose its clout. The question is: do they leave and become mentors to the new crop of politicians, sharing their knowledge of government to preserve Detroit's clout or do they die and valuable knowledge which could be useful for the up and coming representatives is lost?

Reality Check: Mentoring in Congress? Isn't that something that is done ON SITE in the halls of Congress by senior members to junior members in their state delegation? I don't think congressmen have very much free time to do it outside of their workplace...

Mentoring in Congress? Isn't that something that is done ON SITE in the halls of Congress by senior members to junior members in their state delegation? I don't think congressmen have very much free time to do it outside of their workplace...
    Let me use basic talk. They have to walk away and mentor as former representatives, not current ones. Wait....the mentor sounds so "elder to child" so let me use the word advise. So to reword my previous statement....One way or another they are going to leave and the Detroit area is still going to lose its clout. The question is: do they leave and become advisors to the new crop of politicians, sharing their knowledge of government to preserve Detroit's clout or do they die and valuable knowledge which could be useful for the up and coming representatives is lost?

Being a conservative, I will have very little to say in selecting our new rep in Congress. That having been said, I do favor term limits for members of Congress, regardless of who's in power. The idea of the Founders was for citizen-legislators, who serve for a little while and then return to live among the rest of the people. Anyone serving more than a few terms ceases to have the perspective of a regular citizen. Party and ideology don't matter in this. Long tenure corrupts, if not in the stealing money sense, then at least in representing the people. Also, for most legislators, reelection concerns grow to trump doing the right thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast