Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good food downtown/midtown?

Any recommendations for casual food downtown or midtown? Last time I was in town I kept running the same Hard Rock-McDonalds gauntlet up Woodward. Save me from the monotony for my next visit!

Union Street is by the McDonalds try there. Its priced like hard rock but better food.

For Italian try Roma's in Eastern Market

Oh man there is a lot.

Rub Pub in Grand Circus,

Bucharest in the Park Park,

Mudge's in Corktown [[I know that isn't downtown/midtown but it's good)

Sala Thai in Eastern Market,

etc.

You couldn't find a good restaurants in this city? Trust me there's plenty of them

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=...lt=restaurants

Atlas, corner of Charlotte and Woodward, four blocks north of the Fox.

I love Atlas also,, every person I have ever taken there from out of town always says that is a true highlight of good food and great atmosphere, they are shocked.. Budapest is wonderful for a great schwarma, way under noticed. There are many others as noted on this also.

Here's a list of 130 restaurant/pubs in the Downtown Detroit Area. Bookie's is great for something chill. Mudgie's has a great deli. So many choices....

I haven't been to the Slow's To Go on Cass Avenue yet, but don't forget them.

If we're going into Eastern Market, then we can't forget the 'breakfasts joints' all in a row...well, at least within a few blocks of one another. Farmer's, Zeff's, Russell Street Deli, Leo's on Mack. Plus, Bert's can always be trusted for some great soul food. Vivio's for burger's and beers...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I haven't been to the Slow's To Go on Cass Avenue yet, but don't forget them.

If we're going into Eastern Market, then we can't forget the 'breakfasts joints' all in a row...well, at least within a few blocks of one another. Farmer's, Zeff's, Russell Street Deli, Leo's on Mack. Plus, Bert's can always be trusted for some great soul food. Vivio's for burger's and beers...
    Vivo's has great bloody marrys...

Oh, and The Bronx bar has amazing burgers, that is in midtown.

Dude, Cass Cafe. Get drunk on cheap beer and eat the best vegetarian food in the Cass Corridor

Supinos in the Market, Harrys Bar, Honest Johns, Motor City Brewery, Mudgies.....

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    supinos in the market, harrys bar, honest johns, motor city brewery, mudgies.....

Stromberg2
    mudgies yes

When does Mudgies open on Library Street ?

I don't believe they are now.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward's Cousin View Post
    When does Mudgies open on Library Street ?
    They aren't anymore, they had issues with the landlord or something.

For quick and cheap eats downtown I usually go to Jimmy Johns [[two locations: Monroe and Griswold) or Leo's Coney Island [[on the west side of Comerica Park).

Quote Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
    Any recommendations for casual food downtown or midtown? Last time I was in town I kept running the same Hard Rock-McDonalds gauntlet up Woodward. Save me from the monotony for my next visit!
    I'm not sure how long ago you were last here , but a couple of new places have open . Try Texas de Brazil , just feet away from Hard Rock . Also this weekend and all next week is restaurant week , so you have a ton ! of choices for about the same price of Hard Rock ,
    See here > http://www.detroitrestaurantweek.com/restaurants.html.
    Bon Appetit !

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Atlas, corner of Charlotte and Woodward, four blocks north of the Fox.
    what is on Atlas's menu? what's the atmosphere- is it quiet.? noisy?

I went to Real BBQ down by Harbor Town a few days ago and they had decent food...

http://www.realbarbq.com/detroit/

Very good Ribs!

Anything other than the Lafayette or American coney island. They have become soup kitchens. Lousy food, awful service and migrant employees who can't speak or understand English. Sorry but time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    Anything other than the Lafayette or American coney island. They have become soup kitchens. Lousy food, awful service and migrant employees who can't speak or understand English. Sorry but time for a change.
    Wow who pi$$3d in your wheaties?

Coney Islands are stepping stones to american culture. I am fairly sure many of the workers are immigrants. I have not seen them working in other Coney Islands, which would define them as migrant workers. These places are icons of Detroit. How can you post such a thing on a board like this? That is almost like saying the Tigers or red Wings suck.

Seriously if you don't like coneys by all means don't eat them. You can find good food elsewhere in the said area served by other immigrant workers.

Lousy food, awful service and migrant employees who can't speak or understand English. Sorry but time for a change.[/QUOTE]

You say this like they haven't always had lousy food, awful service and migrant employees whose English isn't the best. I thought that's why people loved them! You're probably just drunk and slurring your words when you go there. Cause they always understand me.

Perhaps it's time for you to change. BTW how do you pronounce your name?

Anything other than the Lafayette or American coney island. They have become soup kitchens. Lousy food, awful service and migrant employees who can't speak or understand English.
    So what? What's your point? They've been that way for years [[everything except the good food because they're coneys for God's sake!!!). If they can't udnerstand English, how have they gotten my order right for the last 40 years?

As DetroitPlanner said, they are Detroit icons. The OP asked to make a suggestion as to where you WOULD go, not where YOU personally would not. For my money, a visit to Detroit [[I'm now a transplanted Detroiter living in FLA) is not complete without a trip to Lafayette [[you wouldn't get my corpse into AA, sorry). It's a Motor City tradition.

I'd also recommend Mudgie's.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Here's a list of 130 restaurant/pubs in the Downtown Detroit Area. Bookie's is great for something chill. Mudgie's has a great deli. So many choices....
    Bookies just rubs me the wrong way, it's like the antithesis of the real Bookies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast