Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Apartment building demolished, E. Grand Blvd and John R

http://g.co/maps/abb87

Drove past there a couple days ago and this old apartment building was gone. Not sure what kind of shape it was in or if it had burned recently but I have seen a lot worse places that are still standing.

Parking was badly needed in that area. Shame.

bartock Guest

Those look like newer windows to me.

Steve bennet Guest

Just what is needed, another empty lot. What an amazing progressive city!

I was shocked when I passed by there a week ago and saw the building in rubble.

Seemed like a very nice building, and structurally sound, and just a block from Woodward... prime development location 5 years from now.

Go a few blocks from there and you'll get all sorts of buildings in much more horrible condition than this one was, and probably far more dangerous, left standing.

Detroit Development Maxim - tear down only buildings that can be used, and aren't an immediate threat. Leave buildings that do threaten the neighborhood and aren't viable for redevelopment.

Name:  parking-lot.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  52.2 KB

^ I can't w8 till the whole city looks like this ^

Then once we have a BIG enough parking lot, WALL MART can come in and give us jobs and every consumer good we will ever need.

I really liked this building and saw potential in it for a mixed use apartment/commercial space. Great location, and like people said above, structurally sound. Damn shame.

Wow, I know it's been some years since the building was in active, but, it's been pretty well secured and boarded up. Does anyone know who the owner is/was and who was responsible for the demolition? That building was in pretty good condition [[at least from the outside).

If it cost $5000 to demolish a single family home I can imagine taking this place down must be closer to $50k, right?

I really would like to know who is paying for this.

Why not tear down the Grand Quarters? Much bigger eye sore IMO

DEGC strikes again?!

[[Its a real shame to lose that style of historic, multi-story, zero-setback structure; too bad development people running this city don't know what those words mean)

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    Why not tear down the Grand Quarters? Much bigger eye sore IMO
    I remember reading several years ago that the Grand Quarters was going to be demolished lol. I think at the same time 30 E. Philadelphia and some other buildings I forget.

Strange. There was working going on in this building maybe a year ago, hence the new windows. The yellow trash chute was still attached to the rear about a week ago. Shame.

"Don't dare, at the risk of your life, tear down another building"

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rontier-spirit#

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit68 View Post

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rontier-spirit#
    That seems to be a possible bright spot. However if Detroit keeps on running their redtape bureucratic ways, either no one will come or they will leave not long after arriving.

Is this the Ducharme building? If it is I oogled that building every morning on my way to WSU. Thought it would make excellent apartments! Too bad.

That building had an amazing frotn entryway....guess a Popeye's will go there eh?

No. There's already a Popeye's three blocks south.

Seriously, this is infuriating. The building was in decent shape and demo is expensive. There should be a way for the public launch a civil suit against the city for issuing a demo permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit68 View Post

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ontier-spirit#

"There's a bigger vision that's needed."

That buildng burned a couple of times about 2 or 3 Summers ago, I think it had been vacant / squatters living in it for some time before it burned, I do belive it was insured, hence the attempt at re-hab. More then likely, it was probably stripped of anything of value after that.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I remember reading several years ago that the Grand Quarters was going to be demolished lol. I think at the same time 30 E. Philadelphia and some other buildings I forget.
    Yes it was on that list where Kwame was apparently getting lambasted in a modern-day lynching and that he was going to demolish 24 structures in Detroit to turn the city around.

Kwame's Double Dirty Dozen.

Another building on that list was the Don Miller Storage on Fort, right across the exit from the Amb. Bridge. Does anyone have that list of structures to be demolished? I tried to google that list a few months ago and had no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Another building on that list was the Don Miller Storage on Fort, right across the exit from the Amb. Bridge. Does anyone have that list of structures to be demolished? I tried to google that list a few months ago and had no luck.
    The residential list and maps are here the commercial building list is top secret so buildings can be demoed quicker so nobody can intervene if they are historic,but then again the fed funds were for residential and a commercial demo list would leave a paper trail, cough cough Ford.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...2/Default.aspx

It is the best thing when you find the apartment of your dreams. There are many things that can be done to make apartment more eco- friendly.
    gvsu apartments