Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Split level detroit lofts?

Hello Detroiters,

I am a single 28 year old who is preparing for a move to Detroit from Florida. I'm in the final hiring procedures for a job that is located near the airport [[address is Van Buuren Township).

I realize this is not a real estate or housing board, but I am having trouble finding lofts listed online. I've found some that were in my price range, but all the reviews I've read about theloftplace.com and Boydell [[sp?) development were very poor. In fact, no positive reviews at all. [[Grand lofts, John R Apts, Milwaukee lofts, etc)

I am searching for a split level loft in detroit, or metro detroit. If anyone could help me in my search, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also open to suggestions for a good place for someone like me to get an apartment.

I've heard a lot about Midtown, and the Canfield lofts seem great, but may be just $100 or so a month over my limit.

Any suggestions or guidance here will be much appreciated, help get another young professional settled in the D!

Thank You!

-Drew

Hi Drew,
    I can't help you with specific information, but I just wanted to welcome you, and say that I think you will really enjoy living in MidTown. That area is anchored by a university which means there is always a certain amount of student ferment going on, events of various sorts, which adds to the fun.

I live in Hamtramck, which is a city within a city, where you could probably rent an entire house for your price range, but it is probably a bit less upscale than you are looking for. Best of luck in your hunt!

http://urbanlifedevelopment.com/uld/...available.html

People here on the forum have lived there and have had nothing but nice things to say about the place. It is located on the northern edge of Eastern Market, an historic outdoor farmers market, and general interesting place.

That said, by living downtown and working near the airport, you are building yourself a pretty brutal commute. Especially during rush hour. 1 hr +. Dearborn would cut at least a half-hr a day off your drive.

If you choose the FD Lofts, which I highly recommend, then I'll share with you my shortcuts around game days...and Saturdays...and even the 'proper' way to skirt the I-94 gauntlet between I-75 and I-96. That commute won't be too bad, as long as you learn how to spot the 'troubles' at Michigan Avenue and Livernois.

That place is one of the gems of the city, as far as I'm concerned. I do so miss my FD loft...heh.

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Thank you for your input.

My thought process behind living downtown is this...

I know I'll spend a lot of my leisure time down there, I'm a house music connoisseur and I'll be out and about at many of the local events. I come up every year for movement. I thought this may eliminate the driving one would do after a night at the bar. Cool kids party responsibly.

Also, I have friends in the troy/clawson/rochester area, and I wanted to be somewhere in between work and friends.

I assumed there would be deals to be had in Detroit as far as living situations are concerned. So from my [[outsiders) perspective, the value I could get in Detroit would be higher then say....Royal Oak, Troy, or Birmingham.

I know there's plenty of people at the company I hope to soon be working for who live in Livonia, it's just an area I'm not familiar with, and all the apts I've seen online from Livonia just seem rather mundane.

I have plenty of research left to do. Thank you again for the comments so far.

Not Livonia, don't do it. It is cookie cutter mundane.

Stromberg2

Your commute to the airport from downtown will not be in rush hour traffic if you are working days you will be driving east to west and west to east. I recently moved from downtown to Midtown and I love it. I almost moved to the FD Lofts but I wanted to be able walk to work .Anyway welcome! I totally agree about Livonia. Don't do it!!

Driving in the snow sucks. Being from Florida you don't realize this yet. Look for a place in Belleville. There is a lot out there that is affordable, you can even get a place on a big lake for the cost of what you would pay in Detroit.

You have other options too. Plymouth is surprisingly affordable if you don't want a mega-mansion, Ypsi is too. Both are not far from Van Buren so you won't be causing and getting caught in the congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Driving in the snow sucks. Being from Florida you don't realize this yet.
    I have actually lived in Michigan [[Rochester Hills) before, but it was over 8 years ago. I was young, and knew I would be moving again, so I never learned the area quite like I should have. In fact, I know it better now from visiting each year then I ever did while living there. I also have lived in Baltimore [[where I'm originally from) and Colorado.

But you're right, I hadn't given the snow driving any thought yet. it's 86 degrees here today and still feels like the middle of summer.

Thank you for the extra input and I will keep everything I read here in mind while making any decisions.
    Last edited by Hooj; September-20-11 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Hooj: I live in Van Buren Township in a tri-level condo right on Belleville Lake. It's very nice out here...quiet and with a low crime rate. But, I am a senior citizen...and my husband is almost there, so we don't care about the night life and such.

I understand your wanting to stay close to home after being out at night. But, I will tell you that the drive from midtown to VBT can be a bear in the winter, particularly during rush hour. Some of it is pretty open road that gets iced over in snow storms. I am part of a charitable organization not too far from midtown and have made the trip quite a few times, both in bad weather and good. If your job allows you flexible hours, maybe you can work around the rush hour thing.

Whatever you decide...welcome to the Detroit area! Hope to meet you once you make the move. Keep an eye out here for our occasional forum gatherings...or get involved with our charitable group [[www.georgiastreetcc.com) if you are into that sort of thing. Best of luck to you!