Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit featured on "American Pickers" on HIST CH now!

Looks like a good episode...

Missed it but it's rebroadcast at 1:01am. plus probably about 35 more times between now and Halloween!

Nice segment with Joel Landy. The civic booster in me kept wanting them to use better neighborhoods as their backdrops, though.

oh yeah...have it tivo'd and same for last week's episode too. great show. i'd love to go on a pickin' trip with those guys

Chestnut Hollow, the place with all the bicycles, is up here between Almont and Romeo. It was cool to see it on TV

Does anybody here know Joel? The little train was awesome! Is he in Midtown?

Show Name.............. American Pickers

Vehicle they're doing their searches from... Mercedes Van

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

and wasn't the big ticket item they found in detroit a Kawasacki motorcycle with a siezed engine??

The show all about Americana, and they drive that. I know. Irks me.

I have made mention to some people at GM Marketing Communications that they should offer up a big cargo van [[Chevy Express or GMC Savana) in return for the exposure from the show.

I know of Joel, he's done some real good things in the Corridor. But....he also sits on alot of property and does nothing with it, like the Scott Mansion on Peterboro.

Stromberg2

I know where there's another one of those United Motors signs still up on the pole.
    It's in front of an old shop on Houston Whittier near Dominican High School.

Joel's my landlord. He has sunk tons of money into his redevelopment projects. Rents are not high enough to make more money to continue with renovation. He deserves kudos for almost single-handedly redeveloping that whole block.

I love the show, but only have seen it on DVD so far. What a great job for the chick who researches stuff on the internet and finds the rewards. And power to those guy's who crawl through the filth, only to find a treasure we would not have seen. Mass media can confirm a find in minutes. Cudos to our locals that would replace the Mercedes. But that was probably a diesel, correct? That would make it more fuel efficient than what we have. Just sayin ---

And they make our scrappers look like the little league.

And not to say a nice profit can't be made. Look at "Pawn Stars" in Vegas for that. What I wouldn't give to work in that place that restores everything. I loved that at one time, working on the best cars in Detroit. For the dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post

And they make our scrappers look like the little league.
    they are "pickers", not "scrappers"

huge difference.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Cudos to our locals that would replace the Mercedes. But that was probably a diesel, correct? That would make it more fuel efficient than what we have.
    I was looking at the cost of diesel fuel at the gas station yesterday... Yikes!! It may be fuel efficient... but on a van... is it cheaper cost wise?

detroitjim Guest

DPW trashmen call it "Shoppin in the Big Sto"

I was looking at the cost of diesel fuel at the gas station yesterday... Yikes!! It may be fuel efficient... but on a van... is it cheaper cost wise?
    I've got a friend with two identical vans .One diesel ,the other gasoline . The diesel gets 50 % more fuel mileage in comparison. 20mpg vs 13mpg

American Pickers Detroit with Joel Landy was just on

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    I've got a friend with two identical vans .One diesel ,the other gasoline . The diesel gets 50 % more fuel mileage in comparison. 20mpg vs 13mpg
    Thanks, that pretty much answers the cost issue in diesels favor....

Thanks, that pretty much answers the cost issue in diesels favor....
    And yes, you can get a Chevy or GMC full size van with a diesel [[but not the Ford E350 as far as I know). In Europe they sell the Chrysler minivan with a diesel engine.