Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Public Schools

I was wondering what the general consensus was for the success of safety programs being implemented by Detroit Public Schools. I know last year they switched to a private security firm [[Securitas I believe). Are students safer now or are students and parents still worried about school safety?

Anyone know of anything schools are implementing this year? I read about a joint effort between the police department and DPS to make schools and school commuting safer for students.

-Tiger

I think it's a bit better than what it once was...but not by much. The kids still fight, still act crazy. We do have more security and if someone is sick, they do have replacements [[whereas before, we were just down that person since no one was there to take their place). I am seeing far more security in the building than ever before. We also have a mini station on site and that does help [[with two armed officers).

Well almost alright for DPS. Look what the EFM Robertson is under fire for denying his oath after Synder appointed him to lead the DPS school system. His job is on the line.

Here's the proof http://www.clickondetroit.com/invest...89/detail.html
    Last edited by Danny; September-20-11 at 09:48 AM.

I heard some of the rail to trails organizers were working on a schools to prisons project

Default safe routes

Is there still a need for safe routes to schools, specifically in the Osborn area? I know there are some volunteers keeping routes in trouble areas safer, but is this effective?

What routes are unsafe, specifically?

We have the orange light people patrolling around Cody in the mornings and the cops are there in the afternoons [[most days). I don't see much going on before school [[other than the dangers of waiting at a bus stop in the semi dark). Nothing more than usual afterschool, either. I think, for the most part, Cody is pretty safe...inside the building and outside before and after school. What happens in the streets to and from the bus is what worries me.