Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Catholic Church Wedding

A relative of mine will be getting married next summer. They have gone to several churches, including the one they were baptized and confirmed at. Now, when I was married 17 years ago, we gifted the priest and paid the organist. I guess now you also have to pay the church for services and they have been given prices anywhere from $400 to $1,000.00! Woweee, what is up what that

Churches have to keep on the heat and maintain the building plus have electricity and running water.

yes, but i've never heard of this before. i guess i've been out of the loop.

JUst a guess, the catholic churches, have lost many parishioners, for a few reasons.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Churches have to keep on the heat and maintain the building plus have electricity and running water.
    I was thinking GOD would provide that for them for free? I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    A relative of mine will be getting married next summer. They have gone to several churches, including the one they were baptized and confirmed at. Now, when I was married 17 years ago, we gifted the priest and paid the organist. I guess now you also have to pay the church for services and they have been given prices anywhere from $400 to $1,000.00! Woweee, what is up what that
    Does that include the "Marriage Counseling Sessions" that they'll likely make you attend first?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Does that include the "Marriage Counseling Sessions" that they'll likely make you attend first?
    ya know, i'm not sure but i'm going to find that out. i would sure hope it does

no wonder why people are getting fed up and leaving. i can't imagine it would cost that much to pay any utilities for a 45 min. service and maybe 1/2 for photo's.

ya know, i'm not sure but i'm going to find that out. i would sure hope it does

no wonder why people are getting fed up and leaving. i can't imagine it would cost that much to pay any utilities for a 45 min. service and maybe 1/2 for photo's.
    I really think it varies from parish to parish. Some of the more popular churches, like St. Mary's at Greektown or Sweetheart probably charge that much but the small parish churches like the one out here don't. At least at my Mom's funeral, they charged nothing; we just gave the priest a donation of our choosing. This is from a review of the church here as to wedding costs:
    The church usually runs between $100 and $150, but since my fiance's family are both members and supporters of the church our cost was decreased. But even for $150 this church is worth every penny. Our officiant was Father Jim. He was amazing. Going into this, we wanted a Catholic wedding, but I was pregnant. I personally was very frightened of being treated like scum. However, Father Jim was very friendly and very supportive. The church itself is beautiful and has lots of space for inviting many guests. But it is not so big that it would feel empty and awkward for a smaller wedding.
    Last edited by jcole; September-17-11 at 05:10 PM.

When I was married at St. Josephat's, all I had to pay was the organist $50. The priest told us the marriage was free and giving the church a gift was the usual practice. Our pre-marriage classes cost us nothing as well.

I find it amusing that people think nothing of paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a ceremony at a wedding chapel or hall, but then will turn around and bash the Catholic Church if they accept any money for the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I find it amusing that people think nothing of paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a ceremony at a wedding chapel or hall, but then will turn around and bash the Catholic Church if they accept any money for the service.
    i think making a reasonable donation is customary but to be told how much is a little excessive.

The Martha-Mary chapel hold 125 people and is $ 1,500 per wedding or $ 950.00 if you have your event catered in Greenfield Village.

DetroitPole Guest

i think making a reasonable donation is customary but to be told how much is a little excessive.
    Making a reasonable donation is customary and common.

However did you ever think that they at one time had that practice in place only to get stiffed way too many times?

Yet people will think nothing of spending that much on the latest China-made phone that will break or be a useless piece of shit in two years.

Look at Sweetest Heart of Mary. The people in the area lived in modest homes and BUILT and supported a grand church. Now people live in McMansions and are unwilling to kick a few hundred dollars [[like a few hundred American dollars are even worth anything anymore anyway). I'm not a values voter and not at all conservative, but the new religion and value system of this country is nothing but every-man-for-himself. It isn't Islam we have to worry about. It's ourselves.

bartock Guest

Unless someone is a regularly attending and contributing member of that specific church, I don't think it is excessive to be told how much. If it doesn't suit, then move on to something else. When I was married 8 years ago at a beautiful Catholic church in Hamtramck [[Q of A) that we had strong family ties to, we were told it would be $200. If it was "OUR" church that we had been going to and contributing to regularly, I might have wondered. But, we weren't, so what is the problem? If it had been $400, we probably would have paid it, also...and invited 8 less people to our reception.

I suppose it is still customary for the wedding to take place in the bride's home church or parish.

Being married by the parish priest or pastor was considered a benefit of membership. He is there, after all, to hatch, match, and dispatch. It goes with his territory. An honorarium for the presiding minister is normal. It's a thank-you from the couple. The organist and soloist are paid professionals and should be treated as such.

But many couples - not all, of course - haven't darkened the inside of a church during their adult life. Yet, they want their wedding to take place in a "beautiful setting" and so they treat houses of worship like shelf items at Wal-Mart. Is it any wonder that churches have a set fee for services?

They have to pay off all those priest abuse lawsuits somehow.

Think the church is expensive? Wait until you price anything else related to a wedding.

No problem with charging for a wedding in a church, particularly to those who are essentially using the church as a photographer's backdrop. No reason why the actual parishioners should contribute every week to subsidize someone who parachutes in for a day, never to be seen again.