Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 3 y/o Perishes in House Fire... Let it RIP Fox 2 Coverage ETC.

Heart breaking story. Ill equipped truck sent, child died of smoke inhalation. House was located near two fire houses.... See article and video.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110915-wpms

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Heart breaking story. Ill equipped truck sent, child died of smoke inhalation. House was located near two fire houses.... See article and video.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110915-wpms
    This was the new policy in action. The crew was sent there to watch the house burn down to the ground.

I was sorry to see the new fire commissioner defend what happened, saying because other rigs arrived soon after the non-functioning mini-pumper, the DFD performed as it should. The incident exposes something that is totally business-as-usual: the DFD relies every day on broken equipment...ladder trucks whose ladders don't rise; ladder trucks whose water tanks don't work; pumpers that malfunction....a communication/computer system that breaks down on a regular basis.

I am continually amazed that the men and women in the DPD, EMS and DFD put their lives on the line every day when their equipment and staffing levels are so horrible. It's not fair, for them nor for residents and visitors.

I was very surprised to hear that the pump on the TAC truck that showed up first was working but the firefighters were either not "certified" to use it or were possibly told to not use it.

That fire company's equipment was out having warranty work performed. Ok. Temporarily assign the firemen to nearby companies so they can do their jobs effectively with the proper tools.

Kraig- I hope you're being sarcastic about the new policy being used. Then again I don't. A child's death really isn't the best platform for sarcasm. This wasn't about the let it burn policy. This was about inadequate/nonfunctioning equipment and poor offline planning. I for one agree with let it burn if it is known to be an abandoned structure and not a threat to adjacent homes. My blood boils every time I hear of a fire fighter dying or being injured 'protecting' a POS structure.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    I was very surprised to hear that the pump on the TAC truck that showed up first was working but the firefighters were either not "certified" to use it or were possibly told to not use it.

That fire company's equipment was out having warranty work performed. Ok. Temporarily assign the firemen to nearby companies so they can do their jobs effectively with the proper tools.

Kraig- I hope you're being sarcastic about the new policy being used. Then again I don't. A child's death really isn't the best platform for sarcasm. This wasn't about the let it burn policy. This was about inadequate/nonfunctioning equipment and poor offline planning. I for one agree with let it burn if it is known to be an abandoned structure and not a threat to adjacent homes. My blood boils every time I hear of a fire fighter dying or being injured 'protecting' a POS structure.
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all. The Fire Department showed up to a fire and did nothing. Whiich appears to be in line with the new policy This certification/no one knows how to use it crap is one of the weakest excuses I've ever heard. With all the in-service training that firefighters receive, all of them should know how to operate the equipment. And I don't care if they're stuck with nothing but a bucket of water. If a person is trapped inside of a structure, you use any and everything you have at your disposal to try and save them. That's the responsibility of the job. And if someone can't accept that responsibility, then the jobs not for them. And as far as your "blood boiling", we're not talking about a POS structure, we're talking about a 3 year old child.

I'm not holding back anything on this one. The Fire Commisioner needs to be fired immediately over this. They had equipment that could have been used and they made a conscious decision to not use the equipment that would have been the most effective.
    Last edited by kraig; September-16-11 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all. The Fire Department showed up to a fire and did nothing. Whiich appears to be in line with the new policy This certification/no one knows how to use it crap is one of the weakest excuses I've ever heard. With all the in-service training that firefighters receive, all of them should know how to operate the equipment. And I don't care if they're stuck with nothing but a bucket of water. If a person is trapped inside of a structure, you use any and everything you have at your disposal to try and save them. That's the responsibility of the job. And if someone can't accept that responsibility, then the jobs not for them. And as far as your "blood boiling", we're not talking about a POS structure, we're talking about a 3 year old child.

I'm not holding back anything on this one. The Fire Commisioner needs to be fired immediately over this. They had equipment that could have been used and they made a conscious decision to not use the equipment that would have been the most effective.

This is the first of many lawsuits to arrive.

Dumb policy all around.

Yesterday article on the fire said they did try to enter the house.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-girl--3--dead

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Yesterday article on the fire said they did try to enter the house.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-girl--3--dead
    But not initially. Initially they waited because none of them were certified to operate the hose.

I completely agree with you. I just think this was not the let it burn policy at work. The firefighters knew somebody was in there.

The fire department management is screwed up enough with that TAC mini-pumper being sent to a house fire without water [[for whatever reason). The mini-pumper was taking the place of Engine 41, at 5000 Rohns. Meanwhile, Engine 52, not too far away at Alter Road and Warren, was out of service that day, one of the eight to 12 rigs "browned out" each day because the city can't afford to staff all of its eqipment. Engine 52's rig is new and in good shape. It just sat there all day doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    The mini-pumper was taking the place of Engine 41, at 5000 Rohns. Meanwhile, Engine 52, not too far away at Alter Road and Warren, was out of service that day, one of the eight to 12 rigs "browned out" each day because the city can't afford to staff all of its equipment. Engine 52's rig is new and in good shape. It just sat there all day doing nothing.
    That does sound like screwed up management. It seems, in principle, someone might have been able to drive it over to 5000 Rohns before going off shift, assuming that were part of protocol.