Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Grand River-Greenfield site

Could somebody PLEASE tell me whats going on with the Mammoth Mall Building. Will it be converted to a church or be demolished? I know for sure the Tower Mall needs some serious renovations from inside out. When it rains it floods thru the back entrance area. The interior should be gutted out and renovated IMO.

I heard some guy on the bus talking about having professional boxing fights in there. Not sure if that was a one time thing, or if they have boxing there all the time... I saw that advanced auto parts moved into the abandoned rite aid across the street. It's good to see that it got filled up and isn't left to rot.

Didn't they have some type of garage sale setup in there during the holidays?
    Some guy had a video online about it.

I've heard its going to be a House of Blues or a Cheesecake Factory. The Second floor will be an ESPN zone. I sure hope that it does not lose the character of the old Federals.

Where did you hear this?
    I thought the Wards building was going to have something done with it?
    The Federals building has looked like hell for years.

Does Herb Strather still own the property[[ies)? He was supposed to revive them as retail, but that plan petered out ever before the recession.

everybody shout: "Forman Mills!"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    everybody shout: "Forman Mills!"
    Great news, especially when there are retail establishments opening in the neighborhoods. This would also be their first westside locations. Maybe we could get a downtown location next. It certainly beats another Family Dollar, Beauty Supply or Liquor Store.

This is what I found interesting though...

WWJ’s Florence Walton spoke with University of Detroit Mercy marketing analyst Ben Bernanke who said it’s good news anytime a retail outlet opens in the city.
    That's a very familiar name, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's a very familiar name, is it not?
    I noticed that too. If I am not mistaken, she means Mike, he is always interviewed by WWJ. Maybe its an editor's typo?

Anyone have an update on this property?

An image of the building from late April this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

These places are frozen in time [[almost). Kind of like shells of dead buildings.
    They have newer strip malls around them though.

lol, I thought the forman mills announcement was recent. ah, well.. not sure what retailers would locate there now..
    I'd rather not see another flea market setup.. that's already across the street, and plenty of parking..
    ...maybe a total demolish and greening, turning it into a public park..
    .. with the right investors, maybe a movie theater complex.. heh..

Let's see Great Lakes and Norwest theaters have shut down. I don't think a movie complex would work.
    You want more greening..tear down abandoned houses.
    Federal's site was once a cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Let's see Great Lakes and Norwest theaters have shut down. I don't think a movie complex would work.
    You want more greening..tear down abandoned houses.
    Federal's sit was once a cemetery.
    They can tear it ALL down and turn it into a surbuban clusterfuck like 7 mile and Gratiot...

Magic Johnson is going to build movie houses. After the Dodgers win the World Series.