Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What happened to the crosswalks on Davison?

New "crosswalks" were installed on Davison Avenue last spring/summer, btw. the Lodge and Jeffries, with special lights and flashers. They now appear to have been disabled: the yellow yield lights no longer work, the solar panels that power these appear to be gone [[stolen?) and barriers now warn traffic that an obstruction is in the left turn lane.

I'm relatively certain I've answered all my potential questions here, and knew from the outset that making Davison pedestrian friendly would be a massive failure and waste of money, not to mention placing islands in the left turn lane would cause liability to motorists' suspensions.

Anyone know the "official" reason?

Ask on the MDOT facebook page they respond to questions

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganDOT?ref=nf

The Davison crosswalk setups were doomed before they were installed. You CANNOT mount signals and signs on regular signposts in the middle of Davison!!! Everytime I drive down that stretch around Dexter/Wildemere area, one is laying on the ground. Too flimsy and mounted to low [[reachable).

Were these supposed to reduce jaywalking attempts? Welp, so much for that...

Yeah, they were ignored. People drove right over them. And no pedestrian in their 'right mind' would walk to them, knowing they would not serve the purpose intended. Another dumb idea that was suppose to solve the problem of too few lights I suppose....
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    The Davison crosswalk setups were doomed before they were installed. You CANNOT mount signals and signs on regular signposts in the middle of Davison!!! Everytime I drive down that stretch around Dexter/Wildemere area, one is laying on the ground. Too flimsy and mounted to low [[reachable).

Detroit has alot of dumb ideas.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    They were only doomed because they weren't the right tools for the job. In the middle of a street like Davison, it needed to be a concrete bunker on either side. Those things were nothing more than silly. If a car didn't get them, a strong wind might have.