Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where can I get a decent bike at a decent price?

I'd like to take advantage of season-end sales, would prefer a local shop, but all their on-line inventory seems to be rather high-end [[$750+) Any suggestions?

What kind of riding are you looking to do?

Try Third Avenue Hardware

3645 3rd St
    Detroit, MI 48201

I saw a guy on a Huffy retro with a gas engine on it. It looked like a "Whizzer". He built it for about $700. I've always looked for an electric bike, because of arthritic knees, but that was one nice bike. But I have a mountain bike, aluminum frame, I'll give it to you for free. Front and rear shocks, 21 speed, new chain. I built it for a tall person. Custom seat and post, seat storage. Alloy rims. Tire pump $10. PM me. You pick it up.

But - keep me informed on electrics.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-15-11 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    What kind of riding are you looking to do?

just recreational - around town, out to the trails in parks. no off-road stuff

what kind of bikes do they sell @ 3rd avenue? are they known brands [[other than Huffy)?
    Last edited by rb336; September-15-11 at 12:42 PM.

detroitjim Guest

Your budget?........

There are plenty of new and used bikes on craigslist.

REI has some bicycles on clearance

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500003&search=Cycling+Sale+and+Clearan ce&cat=4500003_Bicycles&hist=cat%2C4500003%3ACycli ng^search%2CCycling+Sale+and+Clearance^cat%2C45000 03_Bicycles%3ABicycles

If you don't know how to choose a bike that is correctly sized to you, read these.
    http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+fit.html

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtor...Frame_size.htm

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Pic of the bike.

Attachment 10668

Wow! If rb336 doesn't take it, I will -- I've been in the market for a bike all summer, but have been indecisive...

Wow, nice bike, BigB Kchiamo!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Wow! If rb336 doesn't take it, I will -- I've been in the market for a bike all summer, but have been indecisive...
    Well, I have not heard from the above. Please PM me for the pickup. I want the bike to go to a good home. And a shout out to Gaz. You are my history.

Hi -- I can't PM; they're saying your box is full [[probably w/ others who are interested!). If still available, you can email me at ai1672@wayne.edu. Happy to arrange pickup this weekend. Thanks again!

You've got it' English, ronnoco100 @yahoo.com

I'm honest, this was the bike last winter. But free anyways.

Townie Electra bikes are real nice

The Hub of Detroit on Cass has gently used bikes, they repair them too

Try Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Try Walmart
    Nah - I don't think so.

As far as I know, there is still the Bicycle store on Grand River in the Grand River-Lahser commercial district. It's been around a long time!

Have you tried http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/ ?

Local police department auction?

^^^^^Speaking of Craiglist and the police department I suggest&urge[[strongly)anyone doing buisness on Craiglist[[In person Ebay pick up too),whether you're the vendor or buyer,to meet at your local police precinct. I've never shopped CL but have on Ebay for years. When local pick up is an option I used to always suggest a public spot to make the transaction[[drugstore parking lot,restaurant,etc,)but with things being what they are now I always insist the transaction be made at a local police station,preferbly in broad daylight. If the buyer/seller refuses then I don't make the purchase/sell.
    Jmo.

Try Al Petri on Fort, about 2 blocks south of Southfield in Lincoln Park. All kinds of bikes at all kinds of prices with extremely knowledgeable staff.

Nice job Science fair - you scooped up the bike without so much as a hello. Enjoy the EfFin.bike you kow who who you are.
    now I'd rather go someplace else. You ruined my experience. Online.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-21-11 at 07:55 PM.

Hub on Cass, word.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Nice job Science fair - you scooped up the bike without so much as a hello. Enjoy the EfFin.bike you kow who who you are.
    now I'd rather go someplace else. You ruined my experience. Online.
    Hi - just for the record, I didn't scoop up anything and didn't get your email, either. Hope all is well.

To everyone else, I'll be heading to the Hub very soon! Was going to get a hybrid from the Wheelhouse but it was a little expensive... nice and convenient on the Riverwalk, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sorry English- my last post, and bike, went to a person in need [[I hope), he needed it, and left my house without even saying hello, I was only 50' away.Oh well, my next experience will be on a hybrid bike. And yes, Walmart seems to be the only one that handles Eco-bikes. Go figure. Nice doing businesses with you Chris.Not
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-22-11 at 06:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast