Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default DEGC to run Woodward Light Rail?

Bing looks to put Demolition Jackson in charge of the Woodward Light Rail project. Can't we get a real transit authority to run these operations? What does Jackson know about transit?

Detroit could turn over management of light-rail project to group of experts

I wonder how it would effect relations with the suburban portion of the line. I see a fight coming.

Fire George Jackson ASAP

I'm wondering what DYes-ers think about this... GJ is pretty low on the favorite persons list. I don't see how this would be a negative for the suburban portion of the line... DEGC would be much more inclined to appreciate the value to downtown business to have the line extend past 8 Mile, where many employees are coming from.

Not sure how this impacts the RTA talk, since DEGC won't be able to levy a regional tax like an RTA would. Seems like securing more reliable funding than the Detroit City Council whims to support $10-$14M/year operating is [[as pointed out in the article) one of the big hurdles that is still up in the air.

I heard Pugh on the radio talking about transportation yesterday.

It sounds like the council[[or at least Pugh) is pushing for a regional authority to prepare for additional lines.

Don't know if he's talking out of his ass or he's privy to unannounced details.

Will the DEGC operate the line or simply facilitate the line getting built? The former seems to go beyond their purview, but the latter falls in line with what they do. And contrary to a lot of the opinions that have been cast about George Jackson and the DEGC, they actually do an excellent job at getting projects going.

Oh yeah! In your face haters.

George Jackson, head of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., and his experts could take over. The DEGC, respected by corporate and city leaders, is known for getting things done.

"And contrary to a lot of the opinions that have been cast about George Jackson and the DEGC, they actually do an excellent job at getting projects going."

What experience or expertise does Demolition Jackson or anyone over at DEGC have with pulling off a transit project of this scale?

As much as DYes seems to hate GJ, he is exactly what suburbanites can work with. Loves big scale projects, not to into historic preservation [[sadly) and looks at most things from a business only standpoint. This could improve suburban relations on the project. As much as I cant stand the man, this would be a good decision and take away alot of the Bing-Council squabbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    As much as DYes seems to hate GJ, he is exactly what suburbanites can work with. Loves big scale projects, not to into historic preservation [[sadly) and looks at most things from a business only standpoint. This could improve suburban relations on the project. As much as I cant stand the man, this would be a good decision and take away alot of the Bing-Council squabbling.
    Actually...

DEGC would be fantastic for managing construction of Woodward Light Rail for the EXACT same reasons many people on here despise them:

DEGC counts beans. Nothing more.

Just don't let them have anything to do with planning or designing the damned thing.

I would assert that 'counting beans' makes for dull slow growing cities.......and vwhalla! that's what we've got here

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Agreed. I'm not a DEGC fanboy either, but if you want suburban support, you need someone who can think like investors, talk to investors, and bridge the gap across 8 mile. The Westin Book Cadillac involved over 20 different lenders with different tiers of risk and subordination...it was only because of the DEGC that this could get done.

My official position is that I wish had a Regional Transit Authority to manage the project. But we don't. In the interim, I'd think DEGC is about as close as we can get. At least that will be easier for Detroiters to swallow than having Patterson and Bouchard pick their people.

Hmph, well, I guess you can't hate the guy for doing his job. A little more community consideration wouldn't hurt though [[sort of going off-topic).

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Actually...

DEGC would be fantastic for managing construction of Woodward Light Rail for the EXACT same reasons many people on here despise them:

DEGC counts beans. Nothing more.

Just don't let them have anything to do with planning or designing the damned thing.
    Exactly. But by being nothing but a bean counter with no vision, the design will be driven by the beans.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Exactly. But by being nothing but a bean counter with no vision, the design will be driven by the beans.
    I don't think that's fair [[the "no vision" part), but anyhow I think a project of this scale should have some strong budget-minded types keeping it on track. These sorts of projects tend to be undermanaged and grow and grow cost-wise. So I think this is, overall, probably a good thing.

The way the tea leaves look to me, I foresee that DEGC would oversee construction of the line, but by the time comes to operate it, some sort of RTA will be in place. I don't have any special knowledge of this; it just seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

When I saw "group of experts" in the headline, I thought the people would be "expert" in rail transit. Maybe engineers from Spain, such as those profiled in the recent PBS documentary about Detroit and transit? No. Jackson.

We're doomed. Get this guy out of here.

And last i checked the 'bean counters' were throwing away things worth many many beans to the city history and the right developers. Bean-Priceless things. The problem is they don't understand what value is and how many beans its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    ... The Westin Book Cadillac involved over 20 different lenders with different tiers of risk and subordination...it was only because of the DEGC that this could get done...
    Yes... but that was AFTER they did a 180 degree turn... for some time prior to that they wanted to just "rip down that dinosaur".

sigh... I guess we'll see what happens-- or what doesn't happen. In the long term, a genuine regional authority must be created. I can see certain people holding on to the notion that this should be a "detroit thing only", however long it takes for the construction to be facilitated. "People Mover 2" isn't good enough. There need to be lines started along Gratiot, Michigan Ave., and Grand River [[for starters). For whatever it's worth, I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing Gov. Snyder taking a hardline with the principals and telling them if they don't get an authority in place, the federal/state money/support is blown.. I have no idea how realistic that is, though, lol..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; September-15-11 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "And contrary to a lot of the opinions that have been cast about George Jackson and the DEGC, they actually do an excellent job at getting projects going."

What experience or expertise does Demolition Jackson or anyone over at DEGC have with pulling off a transit project of this scale?
    The DEGC has experience pulling together a number of sophisticated projects of large scales. Now, if you're more comfortable with City Council and the Mayor running the project, more power to you. Just keep in mind that three of the council members can't manage their own fiances well enough to keep up with their house payments, even with household incomes that exceed six figures. And the mayor's business didn't last very long without GM carrying him.

I think the DEGC is a safer bet.

We're still waiting for all those bids for the reuse of Tiger Stadium - you know the ones
    GJ said would come as soon as the stadium was torn down. Now he won't even consider having anyone maintain the field. I guess we're looking at a long term resolution to the rail system.

"I think the DEGC is a safer bet."

I guess if you set the bar low enough, Demolition Jackson will manage to trip over it. How about an actual transit authority staffed by people who know how to run a transit system? Or people who actually know how to construct and operate light rail systems? Is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    The DEGC has experience pulling together a number of sophisticated projects of large scales. Now, if you're more comfortable with City Council and the Mayor running the project, more power to you. Just keep in mind that three of the council members can't manage their own fiances well enough to keep up with their house payments, even with household incomes that exceed six figures. And the mayor's business didn't last very long without GM carrying him.

I think the DEGC is a safer bet.

Can you name the sophisticated projects of large scale that the DEGC have put together besides the Book Cadillac?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    How about an actual transit authority staffed by people who know how to run a transit system? Or people who actually know how to construct and operate light rail systems? Is that too much to ask?
    Actually, yes it is. People with expertise in operating rapid transit will want to work in a city where there are a multitude of rapid transit lines [[or at least a decent prospect of that happening), a reasonable governance structure in place and a stable funding source. Neither Detroit nor the region has any of these things. So we won't be able to attract the top talent to here; we aren't serious enough about this.

^^^^
    Ughhh....wait, there was the.......what about......never mind. Fuck, as said above, how about having transit experts running it? Oh, I forgot, they would be "outsiders".

Stromberg2, ready to throw a berserk!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast