Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit fire hydrant caps off

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this, but why is it that it seems like every other fire hydrant in the city has at least one of its caps hanging off by the chain? I've only ever seen this in such quantity in Detroit. Is this some kind of symbol used by the DFD [[such as in place of the "out of service" tags)? Or are local kids just so bored that unthreading a hydrant cap is sufficient amusement these days? I've stopped in the past a put a few of the caps back on, but I hope I'm not messing up some kind of "official system" for something.......any insights?

I think thats part of their flushing and winterization process. I would leave them alone. A cap off could mean that it has been flushed out and waiting for another person to inspect and pump it dry.
    Last edited by Russix; September-15-11 at 12:26 AM.

Brownstown describes their process here: http://www.brownstown-mi.org/public_works_hydrant.html

I'd be surprised if a cap hanging off a fire hydrant was part of a winterization process. Like everything else owned by the city, fire hydrants have suffered from lack of money and poor management. Many are broken, and low water pressure is a constant problem at fires. I almost felt sorry for the new fire commissioner yesterday as he made excuses for why the department sent a mini-pumper with its water pump disabled to what turned out to be a fatal fire. I wish someone would have asked him if his old department, Los Angeles, ever did that.

Hmmm ok. I haven't put any caps back on for a few months now but have noticed many seem to be off at the moment. Just trying to look out for my city and make a small difference on the rare occasion!