Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitPole Guest

Default Hundreds turn out to see Kwame at Detroit church

http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...e=nletter-news

Way to go, rest of Detroit. You proved you are the idiots everyone says you are. Once again ashamed to live in this city surrounded by ignorant assholes. Why go see this bloated clown on a Tuesday night? These are probably people like my idiot neighbors who don't seem to have time to keep up their property but seem to have nothing better to do in the first place. And in a church? What kind if irreverence is that? Absolutely disgusting. Pigs.

I can't agree with you more. See the video of Kwame the Crook getting a standing ovation after stealing millions of dollars from taxpayers is just disgusting.

I know these folks don't represent Detroit as a whole, but it scares me to think he might have enough support to be elected as mayor again some day. I think he would easily whiz by the primary election in Detroit.

Oh christ, this thread will be fun.

So to address the first two posts:

1. Hundreds showed up, big deal. That is hundreds out of hundreds of thousands. I would hardly paint that as having popular support.

2. I'm sure there will be a lot of brilliant 'Detroiters would still elect him' posts so it is probably pertinent to point out that he won with only 53% of the vote in 2005. So when people make their claims like Mr. Warren above it would be important to consider that even before his scandals came to light that 47% of the voters did not vote for him.

MojoRacer Guest

Awe man! I missed the show! Love ya KK, keep it real!

DetroitPole Guest

First, I want to make clear that Detroiters should not be blamed for his first election. He was young and could speechify, and who the hell else were we going to vote for, Gil Hill? He was like 85 for starters, and not squeaky clean.

However it wasn't oft-reported but maybe someone can find a link, but I am fairly certain that while his momma lost, she carried a majority in Detroit [[keeping in mind that downriver and GP were included in the district at that time) but the votes against elsewhere were enough to topple her. The majority in Detroit I believe is inexcusable.

I realize hundreds aren't exactly representative of the whole city, but this man is a convicted felon who not only cheated and lied but bled the city dry. Hundreds also means it isn't just friends and family. There is clearly a ton of grassroots support for him.

Also it is pathetic. I went to a light rail meeting at the DPL months ago on a weeknight and the turnout was absolutely pathetic. Maybe a couple dozen people? Probably more suburbanites than Detroiters [[many people references that they worked in the area rather than lived) - on an issue that really matters. But Kwame comes to church and they won't miss it. I stand by my "disgusting." Now let's see what the November turnout will be...9%? Totally back-assward priorities and no values.

I attended last night because I get asked questions about Kwame that I can't answer, having never seen him speak in public before, and I wanted to be better informed. A couple of impressions:

Kilpatrick was playing to a hometown crowd. They supported him almost... almost unconditionally. I did hear some voices of dissent. He is a master showman, effortlessly shifting between solemn remorse, clowning, proud father, and victim. He handled the question of Kim Worthy extremely well, got in a few digs at the current administration without being overtly negative, and at times seemed very contrite.

He did however lean on the "conspiracy against me" crutch quite a bit. He's plainly angry at a lot of people, and it showed in his words.

The first half of the show was him being interviewed by the pastor, which was interesting. He got asked some tough questions and was flustered at times, and on some of the other questions he went almost completely off-topic in his responses. But on some of the other questions he spoke directly to the audience, with flair and articulation that brought them to their feet. He was able to equate his experience in the justice system to what some audience members had gone through, and focused quite a bit on empathy with their plight. This went over very well.

The second half of the show was him being asked questions that had been submitted by the audience. This was very disappointing, as the few questions that were lobbed to him were basically softballs. The people sitting around me were not happy that he wasn't getting the tough questions they had written down. Quite a few people started to leave halfway through.

All in all, it was a fascinating experience. I got to speak with some of his supporters and get their views on things, and that helped be understand why they still support him. The event certainly did not change my views on the mayor and his administration, but it gave me a lot to think about.

A couple of choice quotes - when asked about seeking political office again, he said "I ain't runnin for nothing but cover."

When asked about the factors that led to his current situation: "My biggest fall is what I allowed to happen to my character."
    Last edited by detroiturbex; September-14-11 at 11:18 AM. Reason: MOAR STUFF

By all means carry on.
    Last edited by Autoracks; September-14-11 at 02:03 PM.

Expect more dog and pony shows like this. You can be sure the audience was packed with his faithful, his friends, his family, and whomever else the Kilpatricks and Cheekses could bring out. Naturally, he's not going to answer any hard questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    ...when people make their claims like Mr. Warren above it would be important to consider that even before his scandals came to light that 47% of the voters did not vote for him.
    I agree. I claimed that I felt someday he might have the support to be elected, not today, but someday. However, I stand by my comment that he'd make it past the primary. If you held a primary tomorrow he would easily make it 2nd place or better.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I agree. I claimed that I felt someday he might have the support to be elected, not today, but someday. However, I stand by my comment that he'd make it past the primary. If you held a primary tomorrow he would easily make it 2nd place or better.
    Based on what? Based on the fact that he barely beat a very weak candidate [[Hendrix) by a 53-47 margin 6 years ago.

Based upon the fact that 800 people out of a city of 700,000+ showed up at this?

I look at the fact that Detroit residents voted for Bing and have revamped much of the council with decent people [[Granted Charles Pugh was also voted in so that's a shame).

Now going back to the 2005 elections that he won by a whopping 53-47 margin. Are you aware that KK received a significantly larger amount of money from the suburbs than Hendrix. Hell, the citizens were wrong by giving him 53% of the vote but a large source of his funding came from people outside the city.

Now should we discuss the intelligence of the Warren voters that will put Fouts back in office. Should we discuss the special ed class known as Warren city council.

Detroiters have a history of voting idiots into office but your city doesn't fare that much better. Which city council member of yours has filed hundreds of FOIA requests against the city for important matters such as records of who used the bathroom and when, contents of Fouts' garbage, etc.

Now should we discuss the intelligence of the Warren voters that will put Fouts back in office. Should we discuss the special ed class known as Warren city council.

Detroiters have a history of voting idiots into office but your city doesn't fare that much better. Which city council member of yours has filed hundreds of FOIA requests against the city for important matters such as records of who used the bathroom and when, contents of Fouts' garbage, etc.
    Haw haw haw!!! Let him have it.

Liss was voted in BEFORE the FIOAs. In fact, he's not even running for re-election. But Warren voters do leave much to question for electing Fouts as Mayor, and we're on track to re-elect him.

I do agree with you about Pugh, I was dead-set against him when I found out he was filling for bankruptcy. If you can't manage your own finances then you shouldn't be in charge of a city.

As for our argument, we'll just have to wait to see what happens when Kwame runs :-)

As for our argument, we'll just have to wait to see what happens when Kwame runs :-)

Let's just hope the time never comes for a winner to made in the argument. I assume we all hope that KK and his whole family just go away for good.

Oh christ, this thread will be fun.

So to address the first two posts:

1. Hundreds showed up, big deal. That is hundreds out of hundreds of thousands. I would hardly paint that as having popular support.

2. I'm sure there will be a lot of brilliant 'Detroiters would still elect him' posts so it is probably pertinent to point out that he won with only 53% of the vote in 2005. So when people make their claims like Mr. Warren above it would be important to consider that even before his scandals came to light that 47% of the voters did not vote for him.
    jt1, you're too intelligent to waste your time posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    jt1, you're too intelligent to waste your time posting here.
    Don't say that.... we like have him here for Belle Isle/HCMA threads.... he keeps it real.... [[ducking for cover....)

Its all academic, he's not now or ever going to be mayor of this city again. He's a person between jail sentences on a probation leash with the worst one to come. If he wants to mentally self-pleasure himself in front of his herd, so be it. The receipients of his oratory in a year or so will be painted cinder blocks in a Federal Pen and the two poor wretches on either side of him in adjacent cells. As for the crowd, sum it up this way: "thank you sir may I have another"

Liss was voted in BEFORE the FIOAs. In fact, he's not even running for re-election. But Warren voters do leave much to question for electing Fouts as Mayor, and we're on track to re-elect him.

I do agree with you about Pugh, I was dead-set against him when I found out he was filling for bankruptcy. If you can't manage your own finances then you shouldn't be in charge of a city.

Let's not forget, before Kwame came on the scene, Warren had the original Thug Mayor [[Mark Steenburg), which included him attacking kids and his son tearing up property with stolen construction vehicles. Yet, he didn't get into too much trouble over it. The only way that can happen is through corruption and manipulation. While Detroit's problems are well known, we're hardly the only one with them.

KING KWAME came back to Detroit and was cheered like Caesar.

Nice one Kraig -

Let's not forget, before Kwame came on the scene, Warren had the original Thug Mayor [[Mark Steenburg), which included him attacking kids and his son tearing up property with stolen construction vehicles. Yet, he didn't get into too much trouble over it. The only way that can happen is through corruption and manipulation. While Detroit's problems are well known, we're hardly the only one with them.
    How soon we forget. We can all remember to root out political evil wherever it may be.

That will never happen. Kwame has lost popular support in the city, and he never will regain it. To be sure, he still has a small group of die-hard supporters, but so does Adolph Hitler.

Some people will never turn away from leaders that they have committed themselves to, which is why so many so many people still defend Richard Nixon to this day.

There is no evidence that the voters of Detroit would ever support Kwame, or any other Kilpatrick, for public office ever again. His mother had a lock on her congressional seat for years, and she was re-elected in overwhelming landslide victories. Kwame's mommy was invincible until her son was convicted as a criminal, and then she was voted out of office simply because she was his mother.

Keep in mind that Kwame's mommy has never been implicated, accused, charged, or linked to any of Kwame's illegal conduct, yet she lost most of her Detroit supporters and votes just because of her son.

It is simply ridiculous to assert that Kwame Kilpatrick, who barely won a re-election before his crimes were fully brought to light, would stand any chance of being elected to public office in Detroit, especially when you consider the fact that his mother, who was previously an invincible candidate, was voted out of office regardless of the fact that she has never even been accused of having anything to do with her son's corruption.

Even Kwame Kilpatrick himself, and his small group of remaining supporters, recognize the fact that he will never have a chance of being elected for anything, and they only seek to validate themselves by making excuses and feeble attempts rationalize their support of his criminal conduct.

The only people who actually think that Kwame still has popular support in the city are racist white suburbanites who think that Detroit voters are just a bunch of dumb ni&&#$, who will blindly support any black person, regardless of their conduct in office.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    The only people who actually think that Kwame still has popular support in the city are racist white suburbanites who think that Detroit voters are just a bunch of dumb ni&&#$, who will blindly support any black person, regardless of their conduct in office.
    Can I get an amen?

^^^^ Ditto on that... the construct that ALL Detroiter's think and vote the same serves an agenda and world view for some. For certain!

Most people I talk to and run across [[even the initial die-hard KK folk) are NOT trying to have this man re-elected! I would not vote for him under any circumstances. Once the federal case moves forth, Kilpatrick will finally recede from the public scene.

With what's coming down politically and financially, most Detroiter's will be too busy with the day to day effort on how to 'strive to survive' to have him top of mind for much longer! This hoopla is a short live flame, burning hot for a moment -- soon to fizzle...

Good he is having his 'audience' now while it is yet opportune for him to do so.

The same opportunists rallying for him have little loyalty -- they want what they 'want' and he is not delivering any goods LATELY!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Can I get an amen?
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-18-11 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Way to go, rest of Detroit.
    Rest of Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    That will never happen. Kwame has lost popular support in the city, and he never will regain it. To be sure, he still has a small group of die-hard supporters, but so does Adolph Hitler.

Some people will never turn away from leaders that they have committed themselves to, which is why so many so many people still defend Richard Nixon to this day.

There is no evidence that the voters of Detroit would ever support Kwame, or any other Kilpatrick, for public office ever again. His mother had a lock on her congressional seat for years, and she was re-elected in overwhelming landslide victories. Kwame's mommy was invincible until her son was convicted as a criminal, and then she was voted out of office simply because she was his mother.

Keep in mind that Kwame's mommy has never been implicated, accused, charged, or linked to any of Kwame's illegal conduct, yet she lost most of her Detroit supporters and votes just because of her son.

It is simply ridiculous to assert that Kwame Kilpatrick, who barely won a re-election before his crimes were fully brought to light, would stand any chance of being elected to public office in Detroit, especially when you consider the fact that his mother, who was previously an invincible candidate, was voted out of office regardless of the fact that she has never even been accused of having anything to do with her son's corruption.

Even Kwame Kilpatrick himself, and his small group of remaining supporters, recognize the fact that he will never have a chance of being elected for anything, and they only seek to validate themselves by making excuses and feeble attempts rationalize their support of his criminal conduct.

Erikd for the win. Perfect post, nothing else need be said.

I'm not letting mommy off the hook just because she was never convicted of anything. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree or tree's [[Brenard). "Y'alls boy" and that kinda attitude come to mind. That alone raises a stink.
    Yes great post!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast