Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 101-year-old Detroit woman evicted in foreclosure

Steve bennet Guest

That's great.

I bet those people who moved all her shit to the curb and kicked her out sleep like babies at night. Stay classy.

It's one thing to work with a bank and still get thrown out of your house... but when you ignore the bank statements, and do nothing... what should they have expected?

I don't think they got thrown out because of back taxes but for failing to make payments on the house. The fault lies squarely on her son, and his failure to work with the bank. Banks really don't want any more houses in Detroit... and may have worked with them, possibly thru one of the goverrnment "making homes affordability plan"... although even there there are pitfalls.

How can one not feel outraged by this... but there's no litmus test for the age of the residents...

i could find no record of this lady's name as a homeowner in any of the detroit property records.... the entire story is poorly written and researched.... was it taxes, was it the mortgage? someone saw 101 year old lady and ran with the story without doing their background check

I don't understand why this is news. Someone didn't pay their bills for a couple years and got evicted? Well what did you expect?

I understand she's 101, and I respect her as an elder, but that doesn't make her exempt from her obligations. It's a shame her family let her down.

I wish her the best in finding a new housing accommodation.

That's is what I will NEVER buy a house. As an independent filmmaker, I travel like a nomad and don't settle down. Who needs the American dream. Who cares!

I feel really sorry for the proletariat centenarian whose son didn't pay its bills. Her home is where she build her blood sweat and tears and achieving the American dream. Buying a decent home in America is only the very wealthy can afford and the proletariats are always being left out in the housing market that they have to either lease or rent ot rent to own a home.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

While the so called free enterprise market comes with a price.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I don't understand why this is news. Someone didn't pay their bills for a couple years and got evicted? Well what did you expect?

I understand she's 101, and I respect her as an elder, but that doesn't make her exempt from her obligations. It's a shame her family let her down.

people have such a twisted view of morality... property before people

DetroitPole Guest

That's probably the most disingenous post I've ever read in my life. Yeah, I'm sure you wish her the absolute best. Like you give a shit.

Steve bennet Guest

The government pisses our tax dollars away like a bad MC Hammer Behind the Music special, and you support them kicking this woman out of her house?

Really?

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That's is what I will NEVER buy a house.
    +1

Seeing what has happened during the past 5 years, I don't know why anyone would want to buy a house. Especially when you see stories like this, where you can spend 60-years of your life working your ass off for your home, just to have the government come by and take it away when you're elderly. This country is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    +1

Seeing what has happened during the past 5 years, I don't know why anyone would want to buy a house. Especially when you see stories like this, where you can spend 60-years of your life working your ass off for your home, just to have the government come by and take it away when you're elderly. This country is a joke.
    This is why its called a 'Free Country!" you have your freedom, but no free lunch. Just cut the wants like me then you live free. Cut the credit and use debit. Shop less in corporate franchises and shop more it your local businesss. And DON'T BUY A HOUSE unless you rich!

The 101 year old lady should long ago have been living in a nice, convenient senior living place. There are so many of them in Detroit - at least near the SW side. Her sons seem a little slow and they appear not be able to make good judgements about her money. Did you note that they had her take out a reverse mortgage - in her 90's! How long was she going to live? If she had died in a few years they would have had to leave anyway.

This is all to the good. Now a social worker will get involved with that family. They will get more assistance with financial matters. Sons will have help. Old, neglected house will be off their backs. They are all old enough to get in a senior living place.
    Last edited by SWMAP; September-14-11 at 09:34 AM.

The government pisses our tax dollars away like a bad MC Hammer Behind the Music special, and you support them kicking this woman out of her house?

Really?
    Yes.

So at what age do you propose that folks no longer have to meet their obligations? 80? 90? Then we can just stop paying our bills because it's too taboo to do something negative to us.

Be angry at the family that didn't take care of their own flesh and blood, not the government.

So at what age do you propose that folks no longer have to meet their obligations? 80? 90? Then we can just stop paying our bills because it's too taboo to do something negative to us.

Be angry at the family that didn't take care of their own flesh and blood, not the government.
    Your moral compass is broken.

Did you see that she has lived in the house for 60 years?! Just the fact that she owed money to a bank for her house at all his unjust. Don't you see? Or are you just completely brainwashed by capitalism?

MojoRacer Guest

no matta how old u get u still gotta pay da bills!

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MojoRacer View Post
    no matta how old u get u still gotta pay da bills!
    Not according to some on this forum.

For those who are so up in arms about this: pony the money together and get her house back. If her family had done that, she would still be sitting in the living room instead of on the curb.

If you don't live up to your responsibilities, there are consequences - that's reality.
    Anything else is just ignoring the facts: She owed money on the house, the payments weren't made, she loses the house.

If you read the story on channel 7's site: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...-from-her-home, you'll see that:
    "... in 2003, Texana’s son Warren admits he convinced his mom to sign that house over to a “reverse mortgage” company in return for a sum of $32,000. Money he claims would go to repair the house. But that money went to more than just the house. Warren admits he bought a car, made a donation to the church and spent the remaining five thousand dollars on other things."
    AND although I didn't catch it in the Channel 7 story, some comments seem to indicate tht her son was also withholding her mail so tht she never saw the notices.

Sorry but IMHO, its pretty much the deadbest son's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Your moral compass is broken.

Did you see that she has lived in the house for 60 years?! Just the fact that she owed money to a bank for her house at all his unjust. Don't you see? Or are you just completely brainwashed by capitalism?
    No, it's not.

If it were my mother I would go over there, pay the money, and keep her in her house.

It's simple, pay your taxes, pay your mortgage, or lose your house. The amount of time you've lived in the house and your age is not in any way relevant.

If you're too old to take care of your house and pay the bills then you need to talk with your family and friends about getting placed into a more suitable living arrangement.

Don't get me wrong, I fully respect this lady. I would open doors for her. I would drive to the supermarket and give her a ride home. However, I wouldn't make an exception for her when it comes to paying her bills.

Pay your bills, or start losing your stuff. Period.

The loan on a reverse mortgage isn't suppose to be due until the borrower dies. At that time the heirs can decide if they want to refinance and payback the loan or let it go to HUD. I think the son's huge incompetentency in communicating with HUD has also exposed some major flaws in how HUD operates. I hope the lady gets her house back, but I think the bureaucracy has burried her.

I think what triggered the demand for repayment by the reverse mortgage owner was the non-payment of taxes. I know that tax payments are required by the lenders and I imagine that the tax sale notice to the leinholder would have caused the lender's demand. Not sure who has priority for payment, but it looks like the County has priority for disposing of the property for unpaid taxes.

There's another old lady like this across the street from me starting to have this problem. She has three jobless 20-something grandchildren living with her. She has a reverse mortgage for $90,000 and two other recorded mortgage leins right now - one from the City for a loan for emergency residential upgrades and one from Southest Solutions for similar. The records show that she hasn't paid 2010 City taxes and that amount with penalties is now more than $1000. I have read that once a person gets more than a year behind in taxes - especially a retiree - they almost never can catch up. I could forsee that she would lose her house someday - and whose fault would it be? I would blame the user grandchildren who practice dance steps for hours bare-chested in the street and suck up all the money.

That's great.

I bet those people who moved all her shit to the curb and kicked her out sleep like babies at night. Stay classy.
    That is one job I would not be able to accept. They even lost her medications in the process, landing her in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The 101 year old lady should long ago have been living in a nice, convenient senior living place. There are so many of them in Detroit - at least near the SW side.
    As much sense as that makes... you have to put yourself in the midset of many elderly people... their long time homes are their life. Put them into a nursing home, and their health can slip away quickly, when they loose their reason for living.

I've seen this to be much more common that most people think. My mom passed away last year at 88 [[after battling and surviving 5 cancers in the last 11 years prior). She lived in the same house for exactly 50 years, and her biggest fear was not death or even hospitalization... it was being warehoused in some nursing home [[her words). She just wanted to be left at peace... "at home". [[She got her wish, we kept her at home until 2 months before her passing.)

The only way for this 101 year old woman to make it for very much longer is to be able to get back into her old home. To her it's familiar... it's HOME. At that age... nothing else much matters.

I was not suggesting a nursing home. I was suggesting convenient, safe, affordable senior living apartments. I often pass the Pablo Davis Elder Living apartments in SW Detroit and consider that i would be willing to live there. A two-bedroom looks to run about $500 monthly. There's another one near the Ambassador bridge near me: Ste. Anne's Gate. i would live there too.

This lady is no longer capable of living in one of those [[I doubt they would take a 101 year old.) But the sons are. many of these places are subsidized and pretty nice. They are clean, safe, air-conditioned and provide transportation.

Realistically, they cannot go back. Go forward and think of how their lives could be so much better. A social worker can help them find senior living accomodations where all three can be together.

If you can't pay the mortgage and taxes, you can't keep the house.

By the way, we kept my mother "at home" until the day she died. it was very, very difficult but we would never have allowed her to go anywhere at all. She did give up her home several years earlier for a pretty, bright adaptable senior apartment. When she had a very bad, paralyzing stroke, my sister who didn't work, with her husband and several children ,built a small addition on their home and there my mother lived for a few years. Though hours away, we all helped, took turns, etc. to the end. We bathed her, fed her, lifted her, sat with her for years, paid for suplemental home care. Home was where we were.

Those of you who have elderly parents unrealistically hanging on to a home they can no longer care for or pay for - realize that home is where you make it. Don't try to say that society has to pay their way [[taxes, mortgage) just because they are old. Help them go gladly to a better, easier way of living when that happens.

In my mother's case, her house had already been paid off 30 years prior... and she had services for lawn/leaves/snow.

If you're used to moving from house to house [[as most Americans are) moving may not seem like a big deal.

But if your from the old country [[in this case from Germany)... it seems to be a bigger deal. Mom wanted no part of living with any of her children... she just wanted to be in her house. By giving in to her wishes... it helped add years to her life, and the family didn't mind. She had folks come in to help her shower, physical therapy, nursing assistance, etc. In her case this was the best solution to make her last years relatively happy [[along with 2 greatgrandchildren).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast