Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit ranks 6th for happiest city for young professionals

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...roit_no_6.html

It's forbes, which I don't particularly like them. However, I would be considered somewhat of a young professional [[med student), and I am happy in Detroit .

Thoughts?

I posted it. Great to get good press, no matter what the source.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I posted it. Great to get good press, no matter what the source.
    Oops, sorry English, I scanned the threads and didn't see one. I must have over looked yours, did not mean to do that.

Wait - I'm scatterbrained this evening. I meant to say "I posted it on Facebook and Twitter." Sorry about that.

Default Detroit named as one of the cities with the happiest young professionals

I already posted it, no one commented on it ><

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    I already posted it, no one commented on it ><
    Sometimes people just check out links without making any comments.

Actually, that's kinda hard to believe considering this area is in a economic slump.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Actually, that's kinda hard to believe considering this area is in a economic slump.
    Well to be fair, the article does say this...

...However, job security in Detroit lowered their overall score and kept Detroit from the top spot...
    So the challenge now is just getting the job at one of these companies.

Young hipsters felt happy living in Detroit while black folks are feeling miserable in its ghettoes. What cause this trend?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Young hipsters felt happy living in Detroit while black folks are feeling miserable in its ghettoes. What cause this trend?
    By feeling good about "helping" a struggling city, and its "helpless" people.

Danny wrote:
    >>Young hipsters felt happy living felt happy living in Detroit while black folks are feeling miserable in its ghettoes. What cause this trend?

It's because black folk are unhappy.

That's good news for both of them

Most black folks on Detroit's ghettohoods are unhappy of the living conditions of what the are looks like. Human enviroments [[ such as a neighborhood, retail center and public recreational facilities) is created synthetically to suit the needs of mankind. It's up to mankind to take care of its enviroment and keep capitalistic values up. If that certian human enviroment is damaged, property values will drop. Buildings and other things will rot and dissapear and it would be much harder to restore this synthetic enviroment back to its glamour.

When various Detroit neighborhoods to booming after 1910, its was build MOSTLY for up to 3rd generation white folks [[whose immigrants were English, German, Italian, Polish and Irish from the mid 1800s) according to their type of income and class. Blacks, Arabs, Jews, East Indians, Mexicans/Hispanics, Asians and more Eastern Europeans came to Detroit are better jobs. Housing was very to find for most of newcommers. Blacks who came to Detroit were end up living to east side slums of Black Bottom until they could find better housing [[if they can fight the system).

For Blacks living in Detroit 100 years ago, they recieve better living conditions from those options:

1. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt sought the slums of Black Bottom and some areas cleared for better subsidize housing projects like Brewster-Douglas to the Jeffries.

2. Henry Ford needed black workers for the Ford Rouge Plant. So he developed wooden duplexes and barracks along Middlebelt Rd. south of Michigan Ave. in Village of Inskter [[Nankin Mills) for housing. Fewer blacks from Detroit were moved over to those areas.

3. For their assistance to servitude to the Jewish communities. Blacks were offered housing from Paradise Valley to Northwest Side of Detroit.[[ even up to Oak Park, Southfield, Lathrup Village and West Bloomfield TWP.)

4. After years of restrictive covenents by the mid 1960s when suburban devepoment loomed, real estate owners hired black kids to ride their bicycles through mostly white Detroit neighborhoods. This would accelerate their flight to the suburbs by selling their homes to black families and later that certian Detroit neighborhood becomes black.

Then comes the effect.

Constant flow of slumlords, crime, drugs, gangs, poor police and city services, vacant homes, common building fires vacant lots, broken families, liquor stores and poor Detroit Public Schools system would make black Detroit neighorhoods into a ghetto. Then cames the unhappiness of what Black Detroiters have suffered for the past 50 years.

As young professional feeling happy coming to Detroit.

1. Being closer to their jobs when it come downtown.

2. Being closer to the everyday venues.

3. Tax breaks from the NEZ

4. Better security

5. Getting quite tired of the suburban lifestyle.

6. Saving money of fuel costs and walkable minutes to any local convenient stores and restuarants.

After there young professional starts of family they mostly move away from Detroit to any suburb or any other city in the United States. The cycle will continue over and over again.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase creating a better Detroit take community power not talk for Neda's sake.