Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Derrick Miller pleads guilty in "Kilpatrick Enterprise" case

Bad news for Mr. Kilpatrick. Derrick Miller has plead guilty:

http://detnews.com/article/20110912/...rruption-probe

Someone is going to be snitchin'

What's sad about this is that the city had all these young people, Kwame Kilpatrick, Christine Beatty, Derrick Miller ready to take the city into the 21st century and look what we got. A city on the edge of a cliff. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    What's sad about this is that the city had all these young people, Kwame Kilpatrick, Christine Beatty, Derrick Miller ready to take the city into the 21st century and look what we got. A city on the edge of a cliff. Very sad.
    It is heartbreaking. I don't condone any of this, but as a young black professional who was raised in the city, I'm one degree removed from the players -- if I were 5-6 years older, this would have been my cohort. I feel as if they've ruined the city AND ruined the lives of friends that I know, who were not privy to the shenanigans, who hitched their wagons to a star and who are now trying to re-tool their entire lives.

I haven't spoken much about the KMK scandals here. It's too close, too near... there but for the grace of God go I. I am angry, infuriated, and most of all, sad.

These are all my classmates. It's very surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I was living in California at the time and I remember the election of 2001. It was public knowledge that Dennis Archer was not going to run for a third term and Gil Hill was angling himself for a run at the job and then I was hearing about this guy who was my age wanting to run for mayor. I had high hopes for Kilpatrick because he was my age and I believed the city needed young blood for an new time. My cousin who was working at Greektown was introduced to Kilpatrick and Kwame was talking entrepreneurship in Detroit. He had my cousin believing that Kilpatrick could be a good mayor.

Ten years later, Detroit is so fractured it is depressing. Maybe, just maybe these young people had good intentions and they were seduced by the power and they lost their way or maybe they were rotten from the start. We will never know.

The election of KK was so hopeful for Detroit. He talked a good show, and if the core had been as pure as the talk, the results would have been amazing. So sad.

I was hearing about this guy who was my age wanting to run for mayor. I had high hopes for Kilpatrick because he was my age and I believed the city needed young blood for an new time.
    That was pretty much my thinking as well. When I voted that year, I was pretty excited that someone my age was running and thought he would be this generation's Jerry Cavanaugh.

What I found most disappointing was that, he had all the potential to demonstrate the fallacy of judging a book by its cover. That just because someone had a diamond earring and listened to hip hop did not mean that he was a gangster and a criminal.

All he did was prove all those idiots right. Thanks, Kwame.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    What I found most disappointing was that, he had all the potential to demonstrate the fallacy of judging a book by its cover. That just because someone had a diamond earring and listened to hip hop did not mean that he was a gangster and a criminal.

As someone who wears a diamond not as big as Kilpatrick old earring and still listens to older hip-hop, not that bullshit being made by the likes of Lil' Wayne and Rick Ross, I know I was never a gangsta but Kwame did run Detrot government as a form of gangsta government. He was just one bad apple that wore a diamond and listen to hip-hop.

To me, the most astounding aspect to the entire KK mess is his relection. It was common knowledge around town he was getting paid off though Bernard- he was absolutely brazen about accepting money for everything he possibly could. After his first term, I thought it was all over, then election night came and the lights went out.

Rot in jail.

Watching these crooks steal from Detroiters has really cheesed me off! Paybacks have tasted so good!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    To me, the most astounding aspect to the entire KK mess is his relection. It was common knowledge around town he was getting paid off though Bernard- he was absolutely brazen about accepting money for everything he possibly could. After his first term, I thought it was all over, then election night came and the lights went out.
    You will never convince me that a lot of Hendrix ballots in the second election didn't end up in the Detroit River.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

When most people reach an important postion they act and dress a certain way that is befitting of that position. It's not being a conformist, it's about wanting to project a positive and serious image. Kwame wasn't smart enough or he just didn't care enough.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    Last edited by rjk; September-12-11 at 09:11 PM.

I passed on every opportunity I had to vote for KK. My sixth sense told me he was not the one to take Detroit into the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I passed on every opportunity I had to vote for KK. My sixth sense told me he was not the one to take Detroit into the 21st century.
    I'm fortunate that I never voted for him either.

I did, back in 2001. It was him or Gil Hill. [[I don't remember how I voted in the primary -- my primary choices, whether local, state, or national, rarely make it into the general.)

I was no longer a Detroit resident by November '05, although I could have voted. I was just as surprised as anyone by the result. I was sure Hendrix had it. [[BTW, I was SO glad not to be a city resident at the time -- my friend base was divided between Kilpatrick & Hendrix, and I was getting campaign emails from both. Very happy to tell both camps "I'm neutral!")

I was living in California at the time and I remember the election of 2001. It was public knowledge that Dennis Archer was not going to run for a third term and Gil Hill was angling himself for a run at the job and then I was hearing about this guy who was my age wanting to run for mayor. I had high hopes for Kilpatrick because he was my age and I believed the city needed young blood for an new time. My cousin who was working at Greektown was introduced to Kilpatrick and Kwame was talking entrepreneurship in Detroit. He had my cousin believing that Kilpatrick could be a good mayor.

Ten years later, Detroit is so fractured it is depressing. Maybe, just maybe these young people had good intentions and they were seduced by the power and they lost their way or maybe they were rotten from the start. We will never know.
    We are all "rotten from the start." And yes, we do know.
    Washed In The Blood, he testified. He was. Every moment was [[and still is) a choice for Mr. Kilpatrick. He chose to follow the lord of this world.
    Real-time Bible story this is.
    Not nearly to the book of Revelation, yet -- almost like two places as once: Luke 10:18 and Revelation 12:7-12.
    Complex, but true.

I just witnessed a young black woman on Fox 2 state that Miller is a liar and he's just another cog in the machine to take down Kilpatrick for being a hope-dispenser to the residents of Detroit.

Just another scary, scary reminder that Kilpatrick would have a shot of being elected to office by the citizens of Detroit.

I can't express to you how much this pisses of suburbanites, including ones that want to see Detroit come back as the center-piece of the region.

Oh how pity is one of KING KWAME'S black mafia fallen!

Seems the Kwamester thinks he'll be cleared.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...leared-charges

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I just witnessed a young black woman on Fox 2 state that Miller is a liar and he's just another cog in the machine to take down Kilpatrick for being a hope-dispenser to the residents of Detroit.

Just another scary, scary reminder that Kilpatrick would have a shot of being elected to office by the citizens of Detroit.

I can't express to you how much this pisses of suburbanites, including ones that want to see Detroit come back as the center-piece of the region.
    Well, this pisses off Detroiters. One woman [[who may have a CRUSH on Kwame, or a vested interest in this tangled-up situation) doesn't express the views of the entire city, or even the majority of residents. There are hundreds of thousands of Detroiters who are saddened and sickened by this entire situation.

What's sauce for the goose is good for the gander, in my opinion. Let's talk about what annoys the heck out of many city residents, especially black city residents who don't subscribe to black nationalistic thought. Let's really have a talk about it. Because we hear about the views of suburbanites in the comment section of the Freep all the time...

Oh wait. The comments on Freep articles don't express the majority opinion in the 'burbs?

I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Well, this pisses off Detroiters. One woman [[who may have a CRUSH on Kwame, or a vested interest in this tangled-up situation) doesn't express the views of the entire city, or even the majority of residents. There are hundreds of thousands of Detroiters who are saddened and sickened by this entire situation.

What's sauce for the goose is good for the gander, in my opinion. Let's talk about what annoys the heck out of many city residents, especially black city residents who don't subscribe to black nationalistic thought. Let's really have a talk about it. Because we hear about the views of suburbanites in the comment section of the Freep all the time...

Oh wait. The comments on Freep articles don't express the majority opinion in the 'burbs?

I rest my case.
    LOL. I see your point.

However, not too many Freep comment makers would read their comments to a television camera; they would be too embarrassed to display their racist ways. This woman on Fox 2 was proud to be a kool-aid drinking "blame the man" apologist for Kwame; a man that raped Detroit of its resources for his own gain.

Also, just the fact that Kwame got re-elected after all the scandals of his first term goes to show that this woman may not be in a minority school of thought. The prosecutors pushed for a mandate not to allow Kwame to run for office because they knew they had to.

Also, I didn't say that all Detroiters would elect him, but I think there's enough for him to at least win a primary!

But your comment about Freep posters does resonate with me, as I would not want someone to use them as an example to represent me! Some of those people are the worst, most racist scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    It is not surreal and it happens all the time.

Charles Beckham was a classmate of mine at Cass Tech. In 1984 he was convicted of bribery and racketeering over sludge hauling [[deja vu) and spent two years in the federal pen.

What is surreal is this:
    [[1) KK appointed him as his COO and several other positions in his administration
    [[2) In 2001 Beckham wanted to run for may and said that a felony conviction should not bar someone from becoming the mayor of the City of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    LOL. I see your point.

However, not too many Freep comment makers would read their comments to a television camera; they would be too embarrassed to display their racist ways. This woman on Fox 2 was proud to be a kool-aid drinking "blame the man" apologist for Kwame; a man that raped Detroit of its resources for his own gain.

Also, just the fact that Kwame got re-elected after all the scandals of his first term goes to show that this woman may not be in a minority school of thought. The prosecutors pushed for a mandate not to allow Kwame to run for office because they knew they had to.

Also, I didn't say that all Detroiters would elect him, but I think there's enough for him to at least win a primary!

But your comment about Freep posters does resonate with me, as I would not want someone to use them as an example to represent me! Some of those people are the worst, most racist scum.
    LOL! Gotcha. It's true that most Freep commenters are anonymous. And I think most Detroiters believe that it's just a few people with too much time on their hands. As the years wear on, more people have diverse groups of friends, and even diverse family members. The old barriers continue to suffer the collateral damage of time.

Seriously, 48091, Kwame keeps much of his female support because a certain kind of sista who likes a certain kind of man is reallly attracted to him. He is/was hecka flirtatious. Very charming. I think he has flirted with half the women in Detroit. He even flirted with me when I first met him half a lifetime ago [[I was cuter back then, LOL)... but big talkers and bling aren't really my type. [[I'm a nerdy girl who's always liked nerdy guys.)

And I think he gets his male support from disaffected brothers who are all about sticking it to the man. Think the same impulse that led to 20 years of support from Coleman Young, but without the actual, lived experiences of the pre-1960s United States. Black men have their own opinions and lived experiences. As a woman, I can't comment on that -- but I'm telling you, that woman who was going on and on is turned on by the brother. I'm sorry, but you ought to hear some ladies go on and on about how "if this hadn't happened, Kwame might have been governor or even President." Honey, I just look at them. Yes, he is brilliant, but Deval Patrick or Barack Obama, he is not.

Detroiters never get credit for:

1) almost defeating Kwame in 2005. [[Some of the older people who voted for him both times did so "because of his mother." Carolyn Kilpatrick had much support among older Detroiters, and remember, the older demographic will go to their grave not trusting the white establishment -- and honestly? For those over 60? It's difficult to judge them.)

2) two terms of Dennis Archer, someone whose legacy remains curiously unexamined. He isn't exactly a Black Panther.

3) electing Dave Bing -- there WERE choices in the field that were far more "black nationalist" in flavor. Detroiters are weary of it -- as I told friends, Kwame's indictment was a symbolic defeat of black nationalist ideology. Nationalism is so very late 19th and 20th century -- no one under 40 can really be a true nationalist. They might talk the talk, but then hop on Twitter and Facebook and chat about Contagion with people all over the country and the world.

4) throwing some of the deadweight off City Council last time. Some people here were ridiculous in November 2009. Sure, there are still some councillors who need pink slips, but this group in the CAY is an improvement over tiaras and Shrek. We may not agree with them, we might think some are shysters, but give some credit here.

5) approving council by districts last time. Do you want to see a more "diverse" CC? Well, the majority demographic in Detroit handed over some power, as requested for 40 years.

In turn, we don't give suburbanites credit for not fleeing the 'burbs wholesale now that the inner ring is diversifying. I don't see too many people fleeing Farmington Hills yet. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast