Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vintage Clothing Stores

Looking for suggestions for vintage clothing stores in and around Detroit. Interested in retro, not current. And anybody know what happened to Cinderella's Attic in Birmingham?

Is Rachels place still open?

Rachel's Place
    2124 Pine Street, Detroit, MI
    [[313) 964-9008 ‎

Try Showtime Clothing at 5708 Woodward 875-9280. I bought some clothes and accessories there for a 60's party. Also the Plum Pit in on Gratiot in Eastpoint.

Detroit has very few of these types of places, suburbs included, when compared to other "major" cities [[if Detroit can even be called such a thing anymore). Rachel's Place in N. Corktown has been mentioned, there is also Pauline's Closet on 2nd Ave at Willis, and the ARC Resale shop on W Hancock btwn Woodward and Cass. There are also a few places in the burbs - namely Lost & Found vintage in Royal Oak on Washington, and Mother Fletcher's in Ferndale on 9 Mile, west of Woodward. Of course, there are others, just use Yelp.

I believe that a new vintage clothing store is opening soon, owned by one of our DYes'ers. She is having a trunk show this week.

Fall into the Peacock Room- a ladies' trunk show @ 24 grille

September 15, 2011 at 4:00pm
    The Champagne Bar @ 24 grille

Her name here is Rel...send her a PM for more information

I buy and sell high-end clothing and vintage clothing on Internet auction sites - The businesses mentioned in the 'burbs are astronomically high in their pricing way off the board inasmuch as what the clothing is really worth - What kind of clothing are you looking for?

You might also try places like Value City, Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul.

Within city limits, the Peacock Room is opening soon in the Park Shelton, Rachel's Place is fantastic, and City Bird offers a small vintage section.

If you venture to the burbs, I would also suggest Lost and Found.

Take a boat-load of money with you; something that's worth $2.50 will be selling for $25.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles in Boofland View Post
    I buy and sell high-end clothing and vintage clothing on Internet auction sites - The businesses mentioned in the 'burbs are astronomically high in their pricing way off the board inasmuch as what the clothing is really worth - What kind of clothing are you looking for?
    Why on earth would you trust used clothes sold over the internet? The buyers could hide stains or blemishes, or you would almost need to try stuff on to make sure it fits.

Ever hear the term penny-wise pound-foolish?

Internet sellers build reputation. Those who hide blemishes and don't work with their buyers will soon fizzle out. Read the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Internet sellers build reputation. Those who hide blemishes and don't work with their buyers will soon fizzle out. Read the feedback!

You're absolutely right...I have sold hundreds of used clothing items on Ebay for over 5 years...my positive feedback has never been under 100%.

Me, too. I have missed things, sure, but refunds or price adjustments freely given.

PM your ebay handle, MidTownMs, maybe we know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Try Showtime Clothing at 5708 Woodward 875-9280. I bought some clothes and accessories there for a 60's party. Also the Plum Pit in on Gratiot in Eastpoint.
    Showtime is pretty good and entertaining if you engage the owner in political talk.

I measure all of the clothing I sell; chest, sleeve length, etc., everything I would want to know if buying an article of clothing on the Internet [[and I buy a lot of clothing, personal, and for business, on the Internet) - In order to be successful on eBay, you have to have integrity and be honest and upfront if an article has defects - I also take multiple images of the item I'm selling, taking pains to explain and point out any defects [[I don't buy clothing with any stains or defects - but once in a while a minor one will surface) and I offer a 7-day return policy - Some people always wanted that Brioni shirt but can't afford the $300 price tag, it's much more affordable at say, $25, on the Internet in excellent used condition, from a reputable seller.

Why sell on the internet? Just donate the clothing and take a tax deduction and help out a poor person at the same time. With all the time you spend putting stuff out there, paying for shipping etc you would be better off donating it and waiting till the end of the year to deduct it.

Paris in Royal Oak has pretty nice things. Also, I have found some nice pieces at the Royal Oak Farmers Market on Sundays.

By M.L. ELRICK
    FREE PRESS
    Sunday, 11/9/2008
    Vic Skelly wants your granny's panties. The older the better.

He says his interest in things down under is so widely known that even folks from Down Under flock to get their picture taken with "The Panty Man" when they see him at Viva Las Vegas, an annual rockabilly convention in Sin City.

But the shelves at V-Male, Skelly's retro shop at 23902 Van Born in Dearborn Heights, are filled with more than old drawers. There are 1930s ties with the packing cardboard still inside, decades-old ladies gloves with the original tags attached, and disco shirts encased in their paper and plastic sarcophagi.

He says the makers of the film "Miss January, " starring Kim Cattrall, are customers. And Cuba Gooding Jr. will wear one of his suits in the "Gifted Hands, " a biopic about a Detroit-born surgeon.

QUESTION: You've got sort of a rockabilly look. Is that a cultivated thing or did you just slip into it naturally?

ANSWER: I kinda slipped into it naturally. I was always kind of a greaser kind of guy.

Q: Now you're selling all these clothes. Are you trying to freeze a moment in time, or are you fighting the tide?

A: On one hand you could say, hey, it's pretty green right now, because we're putting clothes back in circulation that have been around for a long time. But on the other hand, you can't beat the styles.

Q: A lot of your clothes are from the '60s. Are a lot of your customers in their 60s?

A: Some of the high school kids are coming in because they like the '70s stuff. And then I've got people who are coming in because they've got a vintage car and they want to dress the era of the car. And then I have people that just come in that put vintage in their daily wardrobe.

Q: You say you've got dead stock. That sounds like what I've got in my 401[[k).

A: Dead stock is old clothing that never sold in a store. And so you go into an old store and it's like on the back shelf and they're like, "Uh, yeah, we want to get rid of this. Take it off our hands."

Q: What's the oldest thing you've got that's dead stock.

A: I got about a hundred ties from the '30s. … Probably the best selection I have right now is '60s and '70s. I've got shirts, pants …'50s shoes that are dead stock. They're pretty cool.

Q: What makes you think that something that someone wouldn't buy in the '30s, someone in 2008 is going to want?

A: Even though it may not have sold in the '30s, '40s or '50s … it's like brand spankin' new.

Q: Who's keeping all this stuff for 70 years? I mean, who's got that kind of space?

A: It's … like people had an old store and they stored a bunch of stuff in their house. A lot of the ties that I've got that are dead stock '60s. This guy happened to die and his wife is selling the stuff off and he was like a tie salesman.

Q: What do you have, like, a truck that says "Old dead salesmen let me look through your garage?"

A: I don't have that, but you know that wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Q: You've had to learn a lot about ladies' clothes. Does that ever make people wonder, what's going on with ol' Vic?

A: I'm not The Panty Man for nothing, you know.

Q: Do you take people coming in like George Costanza with his dad's cabana wear?

A: I had one lady, her uncle died. He was 92. … They'd give him Christmas gifts and he just stuck 'em under the bed in the original boxes. …They walked in with like 14 trash bags. I got like 30 Ban-Lon shirts. Which, you know, were pretty cool.

Q: Does it ever seem weird to you that you're dealing with some dead 90-year-old woman's lingerie?

A: No, that doesn't bother me. … Everybody had that nightgown that they wanted to keep for a special occasion, and then the occasion just never came. Well, there's a whole bunch of girls now they're either doing photo shoots for pin-up or that's what they're in to and they wear 'em.
    Contact M.L. ELRICK at 313-222-6582 or mlelrick@freepress.com.

It doesn't take much time to list an article of clothing [[5-10 minutes, tops), and the buyer pays for shipping - You can donate your clothes and get a miniscule tax deduction, or sell them on the Internet and get much more than you would get with a tax deduction - It's just a matter of preference, I do this for a living, so it's second nature - I've been selling on eBay since its inception in 1996 [[I sell small antique items and books among many things other then clothing), and have made a good living - The stuff that doesn't sell I donate to Goodwill, SalArmy, or I'll stop and give a coat or a sweatshirt, etc., to whoever the homeless person is at the 8 Mile & I-75 traffic lights.