Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Amazing Day in Sports

Spartans destroy FAU. Red hot Tigers win it with Brandon Inge 2-out bottom of the ninth homer. Red Wings Fan Fest. UM just won a super exciting win over Notre Dame. Lions look great for tomorrow. It's gonna be a great fall.

Agree with all, but why mention an irrelevant, has been, collage team like U of M who has shown they are a substandard program?

I'm a Spartan, but I thought I'd throw 'em a bone. Honestly, though, when State was in the NCAA bball championship game a few years ago, I found so many UM people rooting for State that it melted my built up hatred for the Wolverines.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm a Spartan, but I thought I'd throw 'em a bone. Honestly, though, when State was in the NCAA bball championship game a few years ago, I found so many UM people rooting for State that it melted my built up hatred for the Wolverines.
    I'm a Spartan - and hate the Wolverines to the bitter end - but that was a cool win tonight. Congrats to you pitiful folks in AA.

Michigan has truly become the little brother to Michigan State.

When I lived in NYC, those people [[NYers) have NO IDEA about such die hard feelings. Michigan rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    When I lived in NYC, those people [[NYers) have NO IDEA about such die hard feelings. Michigan rocks.
    Gasp!, do you mean Yankee fans aren't real fans?

Its funny how Spartan fans are so rapidly anti U of M, while U of M fans really don't even know that there's a school in East Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Its funny how Spartan fans are so rapidly anti U of M, while U of M fans really don't even know that there's a school in East Lansing.
    rapidly or rabidly?

There's a school called U of M?

The only college football team that has been winning the last several years is in East Lansing. As far as basketball, is there any other collage team in the state besides Tom's Team?

Thanks Mikey! I will continue root for U.M. in direct matchups vs MSU, and did in fact root for MSU in NCAA Final Four, but agree that it's all good for MI and Detroit if the home city/state teams do well. And I'm perfectly willing not to gloat over silly things like the rather embarrassing 1/27/11 event at Breslin Center.
    Last edited by Orthophonic; September-10-11 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    And I'm perfectly willing not to gloat over silly things like the rather embarrassing 1/27/11 event at Breslin Center.
    What happened on that date?

Where did State finish in the NCAA Tournament?

And who is this team from A Squared?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    There's a school called U of M?

The only college football team that has been winning the last several years is in East Lansing. As far as basketball, is there any other collage team in the state besides Tom's Team?
    Agree with all, but why mention an irrelevant, has been, collage team like U of M who has shown they are a substandard program
    College....

I found it amusing when an ESPN announcer described the UM fans as a rather laid back 'wine and cheese' crowd. Yep, that fits us, except for the big three games, Notre Dame, MSU and O how I hate Ohio State. Short of a national title, if they win those three, the season is complete. Last night the UM fans were more animated, like MSU fans minus a few car burnings and a beer riot. LOL had to sneak that dig in. [And unlike UM fans, if our season is a loss, I'm all for the Sparty's to win it all - except for one.]

Last night's game was one for the ages between the historically two greatest college football teams of legend. Loved the throw-back uniforms too.

Don't watch football but the Michigan game was awesome.
    This has me thinking. In the movie Back to the Future 2 when old Biff gives young Biff the sports almanac so he can bet in games. Isn't the game on the radio Michigan vs. Notre Dame? Didn't they win a last minute thriller on there too? Yes weird I remember this.

Go Blue!!!! Class of '97

It's Arrogance versus Denial. Both schools wear it well depending on who's winning the rivalry at the moment.

Should've mentioned the Tigers first!!!

Not to forget, Eastern Michigan has started the season 2-0 for the first time in, well, a very long time...

Did any Michigan sports team lose this weekend?

As far as Division IA college football is concerned, CMU lost to Kentucky this weekend. That looks to be about it, though. Great weekend!

Fire up Chips!
    Last edited by Orthophonic; September-12-11 at 06:00 AM.

Might want to tell that to the three people who beat up a guy for wearing a MSU shirt in Ann Arbor on Saturday...

http://www.annarbor.com/news/man-wea...-in-ann-arbor/

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    It's Arrogance versus Denial. Both schools wear it well depending on who's winning the rivalry at the moment.
    I don't think MSU has ever been winning whatever perceived rivalry they think Michigan has with them.