Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit's Temple Street attracting attention from mysterious buyers

It's 10 a.m. on Temple Street in Detroit, and the only traffic is a group of men lounging on the front steps of the Temple Hotel, where rooms can be rented by the hour.
    The men say they live in the small hotel, which has a graffiti-marred wall in front. One patron is shirtless and begins to wander amid the tall weeds surrounding the vacant building next door. Another suddenly begins shouting out to the empty street.

The Temple Hotel is for sale. Asking price: $3.7 million — or $3.6 million more than anything else bought on this block and publicly listed in recent years.
    The area has been a real estate hot spot for the past two years. A mysterious buying frenzy has seen 22 mostly empty or blighted parcels sold or optioned for higher-than-market prices.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110910/...#ixzz1XaE43zBL

Weird. Thanks for the heads-up.

I find it kind of funny that the owner of the Temple Hotel thinks his place is worth 3 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I find it kind of funny that the owner of the Temple Hotel thinks his place is worth 3 Million.
    Streetview

Given its proximity [[mere blocks) to the much-discussed future location of the Red Wings hockey arena, I can certainly understand why the Temple Hotel might be worth $3.6M!

I don't know if this is related or not...

The other night I received a phone call from some group doing a survey. The questions all centered around how I felt about the Ilitch family putting up $3M dollars toward a new development in the City of Detroit which would encompass an area centered around Woodward from Wayne State University to the Detroit River. This new development they said would encompass residential development, commercial development as well as the new hockey arena. One of the questions was in regard to them having their own police and fire departments to protect the people living, working or visiting the area.

haha yea Pretty sure there is a way to condemn that place. Tryin to play the system. Soon as you make your moves all they have to do is change the rules. Its their game

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I don't know if this is related or not...

The other night I received a phone call from some group doing a survey. The questions all centered around how I felt about the Ilitch family putting up $3M dollars toward a new development in the City of Detroit which would encompass an area centered around Woodward from Wayne State University to the Detroit River. This new development they said would encompass residential development, commercial development as well as the new hockey arena. One of the questions was in regard to them having their own police and fire departments to protect the people living, working or visiting the area.
    Wow, Blue. If what the surveyers say is true, the conflict over it will make 1967 seem like Candyland. Of course, I live and work in that area, but most of the city doesn't...

Oh, dear.

Steve bennet Guest

Didn't Illitch buy a couple of those apartment complexes in that area, kick everyone out, and board up the buildings? Great guy.

Go Tigers.

When they built the Amway center downtown Orlando Fla the last holdout was a old lady that received $1.6 million for a rundown shotgun bungalow.It was worth $20k max.

Down the street shows a veterans memorial park that never came to be.

I don't think they would spend all the money to have a fire department for their own buildings which would probably never catch on fire. And I didn't know there was a problem with the fire department anyway.

Their own "police department" [[hired security?) would be good though. I don't know if they have it worked out right now so that they compensate the police for crowd control during the games, but if they don't it would be nice if they provided it for themselves [[especially since I don't think the police are actually needed there).

I don't really like the idea of all the neighborhoods essentially privatizing their own police, while everyone else is stuck with the dysfunctional public police. It's too medieval/robocop-ish. I do think it's a good idea though, one of the reasons the area around WSU is nicer is because of WSU's police, so I would support it.

I need to correct something...in reading back, I realized I put down the wrong amount of money that the Ilitch family is putting up according to the survey....it's $300M. Sorry for the faux pas.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

The Temple Hotel is for sale. Asking price: $3.7 million — or $3.6 million more than anything else bought on this block and publicly listed in recent years.
    And I bet their property taxes are like $5K a year.

There should a new rule where if greedy scumbag speculators start asking that kind of change to hold up development when putting it up for sale that their property tax assessments should be immediately jacked up to reflect it. Reassess him at $150K a year in property taxes owing. That'll make that scumbag think twice.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    And I bet their property taxes are like $5K a year.

There should a new rule where if greedy scumbag speculators start asking that kind of change to hold up development when putting it up for sale that their property tax assessments should be immediately jacked up to reflect it. Reassess him at $150K a year in property taxes owing. That'll make that scumbag think twice.
    So someone should be forced to loose their house or business because someone else wants to build a hockey arena? Whatever.

If I owned that dump, I'd charge $10-million. If they want to build their precious hockey stadium there bad enough, they will pay it.

A couple of things....

Dave Windsor...

A scenario similar to your description actually took place when Comerica Park and Ford Field were planned. There are 5 parcels near Clifford & Elizabeth that are owned by a group known as the "Alibri heirs". They originally sold their empty parcels [[via eminent domain) to Wayne County who then passed it on to Ilitch Holdings. Well when the decision was made to move the stadia to east Foxtown [[instead of west)... the Alibri heirs sued to get their land back. So Ilitch Holdings was forced to give back the land and got their millions back. The city then raised the taxes on the property by a significant amount, which the Alibri heirs fought against. Not sure of the outcome of that protest though... but I do know that the Alibri heirs are THE MAJOR ROADBLOCK to getting a west Foxtown Arena... since their property is right in the middle.

Steve Bennet...

Michigan passed a ballot initiative to prevent Eminent Domain for any business purposes. It can only be used for the "public good" [[such as roads, etc.). So there is no possibility of any property being taken for an Arena. Mike Ilitch is likely going to pit the west Foxtown holdouts against the lower Midtown holdouts. And whoever is the loser... will likely get their property boxed in by parking structures [[thus lessening the holdout property future value). As was seen with the holdout Women's Exchange Building... the Ilitch's can be very vindictive when they set their mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Didn't Illitch buy a couple of those apartment complexes in that area, kick everyone out, and board up the buildings? Great guy.

Go Tigers.
    He sure did, he bought the building at Temple and Cass, cement blocked up the first couple of floors. It will sit just like that until he decides he wants to do something with it.

Hockey Arena speculation. There was a taxi company at the south end that was holding out for 7 million a few years ago.

So someone should be forced to loose their house or business because someone else wants to build a hockey arena? Whatever.

If I owned that dump, I'd charge $10-million. If they want to build their precious hockey stadium there bad enough, they will pay it.
    Couldn't have said it better!

This article is likely describing that the Ilitch's are involved and interested in the buying more land in the Cass Park part of Midtown.

They obviously helped out Masonice Temple with its' debts, and for a while there took over its' bookings. Not sure what happened to sour the relationship. Was this with the intention of just help keeping them afloat for a while as Ilitch was buying the neighborhood... and didn't want the cornerstone of that neighborhood to go under... or did a longer relationship sour because of other reasons?

For whatever reason... it was and is in the Ilitch's interest that Masonic stays open.

Where to site the Arena... the drama continues....

My personal favorite choices are 1) west of the Fox, behind the Park Avenue buildings..... 2) on the east front of Cass Park [[facing the former Kresge HQ) with a pedestrian plaza on the east front of the Arena towards Woodward.

I remember when Comerica Park was originally proposed to go on Grand River [[area). While speculators were buying all of that land at higher prices, the Illitches were buying [[really just acquiring) land on both sides of Woodward at next to nothing prices. The City through the DEGC sold the Illitches 1.7 million dollars worth of land for 1 dollar. Leaving the speculators with pretty much worthless land.

The story that's been reported in today's paper was pretty much the exact same story that was reported on this area either last year or the year before. Looks to me as though the papers are trying to manufacture a buzz in order to get people to watch the left hand while no one is watching the right hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Illitches were selling off some of their land that they can't use.

There's a perfect spot for a Hockey Arena that the Illitches have had their eyes on and it's not behind the Fox.

Really?! And who's really paying for it? They want $3.7m for a $100K house in DETROIT and you're ok with that? Ford Field and Comerica Park received a $320m taxpayer subsidy to build it. If Illitch buys this section of the city for the new hockey stadium, guess who's the one that's gonna be paying a good chunk of that speculator's windfall? If the speculator wants to play that game, then they are fair game to an immediate tax reassessment of their property for their ridiculously inflated price IMO. Hell, make it retroactive to when they first asked for that kind of money. You can't have it both ways. If they think it's worth that money, their tax assessment should be based on $3.7m, not $100K.

If Illitch really wanted the the Temple Hotel he would have had the police shut down that Haven for Whores years ago and picked up the property through a seizure auction. When and if he wants it, he'll get it. And it's not going to cost him that much.

I think we should keep in mind that there has been a rumor for some time that Taubman has been looking to build a big entertainment/retail complex somewhere in or near the CBD. There are TWO large plots of land getting ready to be assembled for development. If Illitch chooses Woodward and Temple, West Foxtown property values plummet, and Taubman swoops in. I am certain they would work in tandem. I know I would.

I also would second the opinion that the Temple Hotel could be closed on vice grounds at a moment's notice; the owner [[and staff and patrons) could all face criminal charges, as well. It exists to serve drugs and prostitution. When Illitch [[or anyone else) wants them out, it'll take 90 days tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    As was seen with the holdout Women's Exchange Building... the Ilitch's can be very vindictive when they set their mind to it.
    Care to elaborate briefly just to get some insight into Illitch-style dealings? A beautiful building that seems in fine shape, but no one's inside!

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Care to elaborate briefly just to get some insight into Illitch-style dealings? A beautiful building that seems in fine shape, but no one's inside!
    When the Eminent Domain process was proceeding by Wayne County for the Comerica Park and Ford Field sites, the Women's Exchange Building [[a beautiful Tudor structure on the Adams Ave. front of Grand Circus Park) was part of the land that Wayne County was going after. The owners balked and went to court over why that parcel next to Central Methodist Church should be included in the Stadia district. The reply was that the Ilitch's were going to put in a "decorative sidewalk" near the Comerica Park entrance. The judge decided in favor of the building owners, and the Women's Exchange [[mercifully) was spared Eminent Domain and demolition.

Well then when the folks owning the Women's Exchange wanted to develop the property for some form of entertainment to complement the stadia... the city told them they needed x amount of parking spaces. Well all the parking spaces nearby [[except for those in the GCP underground garage) were owned by Ilitch. So all development ideas [[one idea was to turn it into a "China Club" restaurant) required the building owners to contact the Ilitch organization to ask about using some of their parking spaces. All requests went unanswered...

... that is until Detroit Red Wing Chris Chelios bought [[or leased?) the building and wanted to turn it into Chelios Chili... and then the Ilitch's became cooperative. But that was after many years of having the building remain undeveloped.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast