Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bing blames bus delays on angry mechanics.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Yeah Right. The City sends buses all the way to Illinois and Minnesota for repairs. That puts buses out of commission a whole lot longer. In any event, the people are still getting screwed.

This is precisely the reason for privatization.

The DDOT should drastically downsize and allow certain routes to be taken over by multiple transportation providers.

Some busses weren't running this past summer due to the air conditioner weren't working. Years ago busses didn't have air conditioning. In the 1980s DDOT had installed windows that could open on their modern busses at that time. That was due to the air conditioners were breaking down so passenger had the option of opening the windows. I agree to a regional bus system. I also have to say that I enjoy peace and quient when catching some of the smart busses going to the suburbs. I experience rudeness, loudness, fights, and disrespect to other passengers by an unruley passenger or passangers. Those things need to be corrected before any regional trasnit system to be a sucess. Many people who work downtown and live in the suburbs as well as workers who live in the city don't want to put up with that type of nonsense when going in or coming home from work. I don;t want to put up with the studpidity.

I'm not sure what the problem is but there's clearly a HUGE problem. I was waitning for a bus yesterday @Woodward&Grand Blvd[[in front of the Police precint;I forget precinct #)and heard complaint after complaint from angry riders with various horror stories about DDOT. I got to Woodward&the Blvd at approx. 12:38. I saw 4 DOT buses going southbound.Each of the passing southbound buses had ample room to spare.Not one was crowded and all passangers had seats. A couple of minutes before 1:00pm a northbound DOT pulled up.It was packed from front to back literally. There were so many people on that bus that the driver had boarding passengers pay their fare and enter the bus from the rear! There were at least 12 people waiting at the stop in front of the police precinct.All but a few managed to cram themselves onto the over filled Woodward bus. As that bus pulled off two more southbound Woodward53s cruised towards downtown.Neither were near filled.
    I'm not sure what Dave Bing's doing but something he's doing,or not doing,[[in relation to public transport in Detroit)isn't working.
    Jmo
    Last edited by trotwood; September-10-11 at 01:23 PM.

In my experience and from talking to DDOT staff - by which I mean drivers and mechanics - there are two reasons why so many DDOT trips do not run each day, and why DDOT probably only operates 75% to 80% of the pathetically meager schedule it publishes:

1. Drivers have vacation or sick days and there aren't enough drivers to cover for the absences;

2. Mechanics would love to fix the buses but parts are lacking - according to the mechanics I've talked to - because the City doesn't pay its bills in a timely manner so parts distributors are reluctant to supply parts on credit.

Now this is all at second hand, of course, but if you're at all familiar with City operations in general it certainly seems plausibile.

If anyone on the board is inside and can provide more details, or clarify [[or correct) what I've said, please feel free.

This bus system has been like this for decades. There is obviously no impetus to change it. I remember it sometimes took 2-3 hours to get home from Cass Tech to the northwest side in the mid 80s. Usually 2 of those 3 hours were waiting on the damn bus to actually show up. Even more fun in the wintertime.

Further, even though they should have figured out volume was going to be higher when we got out of school, they didn't increase the amount of buses around that time. We'd have to walk downtown to even have a chance of getting on the bus at all; they were usually full by the time they got to the school.

I'm sure it's running much more efficiently now.

Did they run out of Zip-Ties to hold the back bumpers on? Funny how the same SMART models are maintained properly...

Every since the bus system was named DDOT it has been running poorly. The surban mayors and other leaders look out for their residents and make sure that the SMART bus system runs efficiently. When a SMART bus break down a replacement bus will be delivered, is some occasions, in a short period of time unlike DDOT. You would think that these so called leaders in Detroit would do everthing in their power to make DDOT run more efficiently. Ridership will increase duie to the rise of gas prices, car insurance, residents selling or losing their cars due to unemployement, and the high cost for maintenance. I really feel that DDOT if run inefficiently by design. I had also noticed two Woodward busses running together on the same route whether going Northboud or Southbound while lines are long at busstops on the opposite side of the street. Mayor and Council are not looking out for the people of the city. Both are guilty

"Mayor and Council are not looking out for the people of the city. Both are guilty "

I completely agree with this.When it comes to public transport both branches of city government have dropped the ball.
    I wonder if any significant changes would be made to how DDOT is operated[[efficency of service)if mayor&council had to rely on the service?
    I know it'll never happen but perhaps if council members&the mayor had to take public transport for a few weeks they might work a bit harder at improving the service

For certain DDOT in particular is a mess. I'm temporarily in between cars not and doing DDOT and SMART to navigate Detroit to the burbs. It's crazy. I pay the extra to get on the SMART when I can after waiting for the slower DDOTs. A regional service would help make the riding scheduling be more consistent... perhaps...?
    Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is but there's clearly a HUGE problem. I was waitning for a bus yesterday @Woodward&Grand Blvd[[in front of the Police precint;I forget precinct #)and heard complaint after complaint from angry riders with various horror stories about DDOT. I got to Woodward&the Blvd at approx. 12:38. I saw 4 DOT buses going southbound.Each of the passing southbound buses had ample room to spare.Not one was crowded and all passangers had seats. A couple of minutes before 1:00pm a northbound DOT pulled up.It was packed from front to back literally. There were so many people on that bus that the driver had boarding passengers pay their fare and enter the bus from the rear!

Detroit handles DDOT as though it the 'last resort' crud-mover, therefore passengers are considered least worthy of anything better. After all 'everyone' in Detroit drives - legally or not [[jalopy to mercedes). Who the hell 'wants' to ride the buses is the attitude. Yet Detroit needs better public transportation! Everyone does not drive and sometimes you are without a car.

That being said I've talked to some specific DDOT drivers who really do try to run their particular line effectively and are courteous and helpful. It can't be easy working for such an entity known as DDOT.
    "Mayor and Council are not looking out for the people of the city. Both are guilty "

I completely agree with this.When it comes to public transport both branches of city government have dropped the ball.
    I wonder if any significant changes would be made to how DDOT is operated[[efficency of service)if mayor&council had to rely on the service?
    I know it'll never happen but perhaps if council members&the mayor had to take public transport for a few weeks they might work a bit harder at improving the service

All in all, the driver's and mechanics aren't a problem, at least not most of them. Lack of resources and the inability and unwillingness to manage the given resources are a much greater issue. Bing's made it known since day 1 that he gives less than a damn about bus service and DDOT. He's had the Rosa Parks Transit Center looking like a hell hole from the moment he took over. It's only been open for a little more than 2 years and looks as though it's been neglected as long as theTrain Depot. And let's not forget that Bing was trying to eliminate weekend service altogether. He's not only showing us that he's not a good mayor. But that he's generally oblivious to the needs of the community.

I've found that if a DDOT bus is running late and is packed to overflowing, there's usually a mostly empty coach on the same route following just a couple minutes behind. I understand if you've been waiting an ridiculous amount of time why you might be hesitant to wait even longer, but probably 9 times out of 10, there's another one coming soon. Especially on busy routes like Woodward and East Jefferson.

I pay the extra to get on the SMART when I can after waiting for the slower DDOTs. A regional service would help make the riding scheduling be more consistent... perhaps...?

Over the years I've often opted for Smart over a DDOT so I understand your point.
    As for the regional service I don't know how[[if at all that would help)but I'm almost certain it couldn't be much worse than what's being offered at present lol.

Zacha,I hope I didn't give the impression that I was casting aspersions on all of DDOT or the employees. I've gotten on city buses that were operated by some of the friendliest most courteous drivers imaginable. When I've encountered these drivers I've made a point to thank them for their kindness&I immediately telephone DDOT to report my experience. I've no hesitation when I need to complain to DDOT[[or other companies)so I figure I should be just a quick to issue compliments.
    Sadly though,at least in what I've observed,the friendly courteous drivers on DDOT seem to be the expection rather than the rule.

NO, I did not think that at all. I just wanted to point out a positive about DDOT and like you I let the good drivers know how much I appreciate their efforts. And when I can I ride the SMART line, it's a bit cleaner and faster and more on schedule.
    I pay the extra to get on the SMART when I can after waiting for the slower DDOTs. A regional service would help make the riding scheduling be more consistent... perhaps...?

Over the years I've often opted for Smart over a DDOT so I understand your point.
    As for the regional service I don't know how[[if at all that would help)but I'm almost certain it couldn't be much worse than what's being offered at present lol.

Zacha,I hope I didn't give the impression that I was casting aspersions on all of DDOT or the employees. I've gotten on city buses that were operated by some of the friendliest most courteous drivers imaginable. When I've encountered these drivers I've made a point to thank them for their kindness&I immediately telephone DDOT to report my experience. I've no hesitation when I need to complain to DDOT[[or other companies)so I figure I should be just a quick to issue compliments.
    Sadly though,at least in what I've observed,the friendly courteous drivers on DDOT seem to be the expection rather than the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    NO, I did not think that at all. I just wanted to point out a positive about DDOT and like you I let the good drivers know how much I appreciate their efforts. And when I can I ride the SMART line, it's a bit cleaner and faster and more on schedule.
    Understood