Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Ravine Guest

Default Jimmy Crack Afghanistan And I Don't Care

I am downright nauseated to hear talk of the U.S. "leaving" Afghanistan and discussion of the subsequent issue, that issue [[in my own words, of course) being, "Can the Afghans take care of their own shit, now?"
    Keep in mind that I buy into absolutely none of the entire "War On Terror" objective; I never have tried to nail jelly to a tree, but I'm fairly certain that it's pointless. Working to root out the sources of jelly is one thing, but once the jelly is out there, trying to nail it to a tree is a fool's errand.
    But, even leaving that nebulous mission out of the discussion, I am moved to announce to the world-- and I'm betting that I am not alone, here-- that I could not possibly care less about how the fuck Afghanistan muddles along after our departure.
    I realize that the world has gone flat, and that "no man is an island," and all of that stuff, I know that we cannot carry on as though events on the other side of the globe are irrelevant & meaningless to us, yes yes, I know all of that, but we are in a big goddam mess of our own, right now-- economically speaking, and using a quaint little phrase I learned from my father, we "don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of"-- and we have a plethora of Bigger Fish To Fry than the relative minnow represented by Afghanistan and its goddam security.
    Yeah, that's right, I said it: Fuck Afghanistan. We've been there long enough, especially given that, in my opinion, we scarcely needed to be there in the first goddam place. If the Afghans are over-run by, and aswarm with, the Taliban, Al-Queda and/or who the hell knows whoever else, after we leave, and they don't like it, how about they fucking do something about it.
    All we have done is chop a few heads off of a self-regenerating hydra and chase the son of a bitch into another locale. I'm not even convinced that we have done that much.
    None of the above rant should be read as meaning that I have anything but the deepest respect for the young men & women who have served in Afghanistan. The honor of their actions far exceeds the wisdom, and worth, of the mission itself. In fact, the one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

I agree with you on the point that sure as the snow in December cutting Afghanistan loose in a sensible way is expedient now that we are floundering so badly here at home. It makes no sense to me to cut education, SSB and Medicare while still paying for extravagant make-work operations abroad.

No argument from me on this one. Seems like a no brainer to stop spending such a large amount of money on any country when we're in such bad shape. I do stand behind humanitarian causes though. If more people in this country were working, we'd be seeing more private donations to humanitarian causes around the world.

10 years in Afghanistan is what broke the Soviet Union - those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    10 years in Afghanistan is what broke the Soviet Union - those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.
    Well, I actually don't agree with that one-- like baseball statistics, I think history is for telling us what did happen more than what will happen-- but, that there is an interesting point, and to tell you the truth, I had forgotten about that little fiasco.

No argument from me on this one. When we went into Afghanistan, the goal was to get Osama, not destroy the Taliban. Last time I checked, we got the bastard, so why the hell haven't we brought our troops home? It seems the military-industrial complex that calls the shots have other plans.

We dropped a trillion dollars on Afghanistan and this is what we get -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1H0mB0eK7

And of course Iraq. Another trillion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIfTz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRRv...eature=related
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-12-11 at 09:30 AM.

Where are the Tea Party adherents when it comes to our fucked mission in Afghanistan anyways? They don't seem to voice their opinion on war spending...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Where are the Tea Party adherents when it comes to our fucked mission in Afghanistan anyways? They don't seem to voice their opinion on war spending...
    Answer: Ron Paul on Afghanistan, U.S. House Floor, 03/17/11

Where is President Obama when it comes to our fucked mission in Afghanistan anyways? He doesn't seem to voice his opinion on war spending...

Mission creep will get you everytime.

Stated mission in Afghanistan, get Osama. Oh, while we're here let's inflict some nation building on them. Result - we're doulbe down in the graveyard of empires.

Stated mission in Somalia, feed the starving. Oh, while we're here let's inflict some nation building on them. Result - blackhawk down.

Time to dust that "Mission Accomplished" banner off and come home. It's not cutting ane running when you accomplished what you set out to do.

Did anyone hear the Tea Party debate last night? I understand Ron Paul fell into the pit of continuing in Afghanistan until people stop picking on other people. As if....

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Did anyone hear the Tea Party debate last night? I understand Ron Paul fell into the pit of continuing in Afghanistan until people stop picking on other people. As if....
    Either I don't understand your comment or you have an unreliable news source. Ron Paul was booed at when he spelled out the reasons Islamists themselves gave for 9/11. Republicans in attendance didn't want to hear that. In no way did he suggest staying in Afghanistan. Here he is arguing his point at the debate. His comments will almost assure that he will not win the Republican primary.
    Ron Paul on foreign policy CNN Tea Party Debate 9/12/2011

I think it was near the end, I was reading a report at CNN rather than actually listening, but Ari Fleischer tweeted something about Ron Paul jumping into a bottomless pool. I think he was arguing with Michele Bachman about the extremists and treatment of women in Afghanistan. It was something about protecting people who were victimized.

Anyone catch the question to Paul about what should be done to a healthy 30 year old who becomes terminally ill? Paul was alluding how he should accept the consequences of his choice, but it was hard to hear him because the tea-bagger's were screaming to let him die. Boy, that sure sounds like some Christian morals there.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Answer: Ron Paul on Afghanistan, U.S. House Floor, 03/17/11

Where is President Obama when it comes to our fucked mission in Afghanistan anyways? He doesn't seem to voice his opinion on war spending...

But it is interesting to see people on the right bitch about war spending, when the same damn people were so gung ho 6 or 7 years ago.

But it is interesting to see people on the right bitch about war spending, when the same damn people were so gung ho 6 or 7 years ago.
    I thought the neocon right was still supporting Obama with regard to his wars. McCain was even more of a hawk than Obama regarding Libya. Which people on the right are you referring to?

Pretty much every one I know on the right...here in DC.

Pretty much every one I know on the right...here in DC.
    Could you narrow it down to which right wing Senators who were so gung ho 6 or 7 years ago are now bitching against war spending?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Either I don't understand your comment or you have an unreliable news source. Ron Paul was booed at when he spelled out the reasons Islamists themselves gave for 9/11. Republicans in attendance didn't want to hear that. In no way did he suggest staying in Afghanistan. Here he is arguing his point at the debate. His comments will almost assure that he will not win the Republican primary.
    Ron Paul is the only honest and consistent one of that sad bunch -- which is why he will not win the nomination. Odd too because I think he has the best shot at winning the election.

His comments about his taxes being doubled during Perry's governorship were amusing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Ron Paul is the only honest and consistent one of that sad bunch -- which is why he will not win the nomination. Odd too because I think he has the best shot at winning the election.

His comments about his taxes being doubled during Perry's governorship were amusing too.
    Noam Chomsky on Ron Paul's 9/11 Theories: "What He Said Is Completely Uncontroversial" Unfortunately, Chomsky won't be voting for Ron Paul in the Republican primaries. Meanwhile Rush has been coming out strongly against Ron Paul.

Screw em , lets get out of there , been there too long already . I saw a 9/11 program , one of many . The reporter was showing before and after photo's to villagers over there of the twin towers , none of them hadn't heard of the attacks . Only 1 person had heard of them and it was police chief of a city . It doesn't appear that the Afghan Government has reached out to educate the people as to why we are there and whats at stake . It is / was a golden opportunity for their country .