Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Zipcar in Midtown

Don't know if I told you all this, but here they are, 2 for now.
    http://www.zipcar.com/wayne/find-cars
    http://www.catmap.wayne.edu/#zipcar

For real? This totally answers my question about whether it's possible to not have a car.

I'm glad to see that they are using Ford cars

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhat View Post
    For real? This totally answers my question about whether it's possible to not have a car.
    Good! It adds a much needed supplement to our transit infrastructure

Wow, finally.

Works well in Montreal, they call it communauto. They now have electric cars as part of their fleet.
    For students using the opus transit smart card the membership fee is waivered. I heard on the radio the other day that luxury car makers want to get in on the car share in the city. There will be a pilot program in the near future with Mercedes etc...

That's great news! Hopefully they find reason to expand quickly. +1 on the comment regarding this enhancing transportation infrastructure.

$7 per hour is a great rate compared to what I have seen from them in NYC, at least. IIRC, that includes gas.

I thought Communauto was a Montreal-based car club that predates the internationally active Zipcar, with whom they have reciprocity, though I suppose that's neither here nor there...

Yep, saw them parked right over at the WSU Forest garage last week.

I am not familiar with this "Zip Car" concept but why not use shuttle busses that will take people around the Midtown New Center area and go to downtown also

The fare could be the same as DDOt or a $7.00 pass for 24 hours.

Zip Car is meeting a different need. It's not intended to be an alternative to transit. It's for people who don't want to own a car but may need one occasionally to go somewhere that transit doesn't run or who need a car to transport items like furniture.

http://www.zipcar.com/is-it/

Default ZipCar

I think this is a fantastic business for Midtown.

My daughter has rented ZipCar as an "away" college student to drive home for an emergency dental appointment, and ZipCar was affordable. She had to sign up for a membership, but the cost of it was applied to her first rental. Gas is included, no need to fill up before turning it in. All around, a terrific deal for someone who doesn't need a car regularly!

I used Zipcar when I lived in Boston, where it started. [[And where I frequently crossed paths with its founder..) My only complaint is that paying by the hour forces you to rush--I almost always underestimate how much time I need--but overall I thought it was really convenient. An unexpected perk is that it's fun to drive different cars. I see they only have the Focus here now, but maybe they'll expand.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhat View Post
    I see they only have the Focus here now, but maybe they'll expand.
    I would love to see them expand to slightly larger vehicles as well. I understand that they're supposed to be used for driving people to and fro, but what if there was a slightly pricier option for a minivan where one could drive a few more people or remove the seats for hauling larger items?

The Zipcar site only talks about student, faculty, and staff using the cars. So I called and asked if they are available to residents as well. Answer - yes they are. Anyone with a Zipcar account can use the WSU cars.

Also, there's an article about it at http://bit.ly/pijFB6 .

Zipcar is offering a deal to WSU students and faculty. Membership is only $25 and you get a $35 driving credit. I bought my first membership on such a deal and now they renew me at the discounted rate every year.

http://www.zipcar.com/wayne/

If you aren't a student or faculty, shoot me a pm and I will refer you. You get $25 credit and I get a credit for $25.