Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default President Obama's September 8, 2011 Speech Begins At 7PM

Anyone have any predictions regarding the unemployment rate by election time? Higher than today? Lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Anyone have any predictions regarding the unemployment rate by election time? Higher than today? Lower?
    Same...................

The two largest debt-limit increases in U.S. history came in back-to-back years, both during the presidency of Barack Obama. The two largest debt-limit increases in US history were $1.9T in 2010 and $2.4T in 2011. $300B is chump change we can believe in and our kids can hope to repay.

With reference to his his efforts to raise the debt ceiling last month, "I Would Rather be Talking About Stuff That Everyone Welcomes, Like New Programs". -Obama

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    The two largest debt-limit increases in U.S. history came in back-to-back years, both during the presidency of Barack Obama. The two largest debt-limit increases in US history were $1.9T in 2010 and $2.4T in 2011. $300B is chump change we can believe in and our kids can hope to repay.

With reference to his his efforts to raise the debt ceiling last month, "I Would Rather be Talking About Stuff That Everyone Welcomes, Like New Programs". -Obama
    There you go again giving us another of your strong dose of LOC or. Lack of Context.

Only in dollar amounts is that . But what you fail to tell the good people on this board is economist measure these debt limit increases by percent of GDP.

Obama has 3 increase at 26 percent. W has 7 at 90 percent. And Reagan 17 increases at 199 percent
    Last edited by firstandten; September-08-11 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ...This Board is filled with smart people, I trust they can read a TV Guide; from your post you must not hold the same opinion....
    Just to clarify my motives, I noticed that the White House was to provide additional information at that link beyond what would appear on TV as clearly mentioned in the OP. I [[mistakenly?) assumed that the DetroitYES! audience would appreciate that helpful tip.

I avoid starting trivial threads here. This was far from trivial. Yikes, I didn't even say anything.

Gnome, if you've been drinking, I understand. That's okay. All is forgiven.

For those who missed it: President Obama Presents American Jobs Act.

Have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Lower around 8 percent

Ravine Guest

You started out on the wrong foot by titling the thread with a programming note-style declaration which, for anyone who has any interest in such things, seemed needless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Just to clarify my motives, I noticed that the White House was to provide additional information at that link beyond what would appear on TV as clearly mentioned in the OP. I [[mistakenly?) assumed that the DetroitYES! audience would appreciate that helpful tip.
    I avoid starting trivial threads here. This was far from trivial. Yikes, I didn't even say anything.
    Gnome, if you've been drinking, I understand. That's okay. All is forgiven.
    It's a very anal board. You get zinged for many infractions around here, like not having a thread title that says exactly what's in the thread [[as if there is any need to open the thread if everything is in the title), or having a misspelled word [[don't use their instead of they're or there, OMG, you'll cause many heads to explode - even though they know exactly what you are saying), or not saying exactly what you mean in the most crude way possible [[you didn't help an elderly lady across the street, that's PC, she's an old cantankerous bat - you should have tripped instead of helping her across the street). Oh, and people on this site love to argue semantics. They're far more concerned with arguing your word choice than the point you were making. So, all in all, don't pay it any mind. If you haven't ruffled any feathers around here then it's because you're a lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    You started out on the wrong foot by titling the thread with a programming note-style declaration which, for anyone who has any interest in such things, seemed needless.
    Do you mean I mistakenly dared to mention his title of "President"?

Oops. Perhaps I'm too formal or insufficiently Caucasian to have recognized that rule. My bad.

A sincere thanks for the education, Ravine.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    There you go again giving us another of your strong dose of LOC or. Lack of Context.

Only in dollar amounts is that . But what you fail to tell the good people on this board is economist measure these debt limit increases by percent of GDP.

Obama has 3 increase at 26 percent. W has 7 at 90 percent. And Reagan 17 increases at 199 percent
    Yeah, only in dollars. Also, W was in for 8 years, while Obama has only had 2.75 years to screw up the economy. It's about a wash between Bush and Obama in percentages if your figures are right even before inflation and compounding interest are calculated. Two wrongs don't make a right. Too bad our wages haven't been going up 26% on those same 2.75 years. But wages won't go up as long as US labor is forced to compete with foreign labor and nothing is done about that. Not a thing in tonight's speech about the effects of NAFTA type agreements and illegal aliens occupying US jobs while Obama extends the unemployment benefits.

"Mo [[of the people's) Money,
    Mo [[of the people's) Problems"

Ravine Guest

Do you mean I mistakenly dared to mention his title of "President"?

Oops. Perhaps I'm too formal or insufficiently Caucasian to have recognized that rule. My bad.

A sincere thanks for the education, Ravine.
    No, that's not what I mean. What I meant was contained within the statement I made, which is always the case, usually with censurable directness.

You seem to be feeling defensive, which is understandable, but I'm fairly certain that, whatever "too formal or insufficiently Caucasian" means, neither is germane to the dust-up here.
    I'm not attacking you. I was trying to clarify the way which the original post may have struck the eyes of us on-lookers.
    Using a term such as "insufficiently Caucasian" is a good way to raise a few entirely different reactions & questions.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Too bad our wages haven't been going up 26% on those same 2.75 years. But wages won't go up as long as US labor is forced to compete with foreign labor and nothing is done about that. .
    and guess whose wages HAVE gone up 26%? that's right, CEOs!

Eh, whatever. I freely admit that I often can't understand other's reactions here.

At least the "jobs" issue is firmly on the table now. Finally!

Here's a stark quote of Governor Snyder from today's Free Press:
    Half of all jobs lost in the entire United States over the past decade were lost right here in Michigan. We are in a crisis, and cannot afford to waste time on unproductive political posturing and partisan fighting. It's time to make the tough decisions needed to reinvent Michigan and reinvent the United States.
    I guess that means that whatever happens next is going to affect Michigan most. Cross your fingers!

The stock market has issued an appropriate appraisal of the President's speech - down 2.6% so far today.

Eh, whatever. I freely admit that I often can't understand other's reactions here.

At least the "jobs" issue is firmly on the table now. Finally!

Here's a stark quote of Governor Snyder from today's Free Press:I guess that means that whatever happens next is going to affect Michigan most. Cross your fingers!

Economist always talk of leading and lagging indicators as ways to predict what's going to happen to the economy. In my mind Michigan is a leading indicator. So as much as we got hit first and hardest I think we will see the effects of recovery early as well.

Planet Money just replayed their analysis of Japan's lost decade which was a result of policy and not of underlying structural problems with the economy.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/...ns-lost-lesson

There is still plenty of money in the United States. More today than before the recession. The Government has not implemented the policies which worked in Japan and would probably work here. We will have a lost decade at least if Obama doesn't manage to convince congress to jump start the economy because the Republicans will keep on jucin' on Reaganomics once they sweep the white house.

There is still plenty of money in the United States. More today than before the recession.

Yep! You got that right! There IS more today then before the recession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...ney_supply.svg

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    The stock market has issued an appropriate appraisal of the President's speech - down 2.6% so far today.
    Puh-lease.

Like the dimwit traders and financial "experts" really mean shit to what Obama said, or didn't say last night. They trade with one single thing in mind. $$$

With our endeavors in Iraq, Lybia and Afghanistan you'd think oil would be cheap as ever. Not so much. Speculation my dear watson.

To suggest that Washington's daily bickerings and proposed legislation has a direct, all encompassing positive correllation on the stock market is narrow at best.

First of all, let me say that I support President Obama for the most part....but I have one big problem with his past and current plan of helping us regular folks out...

Since the beginning of this year, [[and continuing on, if his plan is approved) the government instituted a "payroll tax break" for all working folks. Since I am a bookkeeper and do payroll, I discovered that this tax break is by way of decreased the amount of money that employees contribute into their Social Security fund. The employers amount did not decrease...just the employees.

So what does that mean? That means that even LESS money is going into Social Security for your retirement. Sure, it's a tax break right now...but if there is ANY hope of you getting Social Security when you retire, there will be less benefits available because you did not contribut the full amount from your paychecks.

Now, don't get me wrong...I like having more money in hubby's paychecks...but I think they should not be selling it as a payroll tax break when they didn't decrease the amount of payroll tax, but the amount of money contributed into your Social Security account. Deceptive advertising at the very least!

I also understand that Social Security is likely to disappear anyway...but as I said, if there is ANY hope that it might survive...I would rather have contributed fully so my monthly retirement benefit would be larger.

LOC. Alert. Maybe what's going on in Europe had just a little something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    LOC. Alert. Maybe what's going on in Europe had just a little something to do with it.
    Geez, you're right. It's pure coincidence that a 3% decline in the market occurred the day after the Prez gave a speech on how he plans to improve the economy.

Geez, you're right. It's pure coincidence that a 3% decline in the market occurred the day after the Prez gave a speech on how he plans to improve the economy.
    Maybe with all of the concerns about the debt situation in Europe the decline would have been larger if Obama didn't have a plan to improve the economy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast