Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Photo Landmarks

Default Photo Landmarks

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, probably has, but I came up with what I though were things that tourists get their pictures by or take pictures of while here in Detroit.

Here are what I though were the most photographed:

http://woodwardspine.com/2011/09/08/...opportunities/

What are your favorites?
    Last edited by buckster1986; September-09-11 at 09:10 AM.

Dodge Fountain would definitely be a biggie if not Hart Plaza in general.

Nice stuff. I would definitely add the Thinker in front of the DIA that's in your title picture, Hart Plaza as noted above, and various sites on Belle Isle - particularly the Scott Fountain and the view towards downtown from the western end of the island. Similarly, the view of the skyline from Windsor [[if you're including that in metro Detroit, that is). And definitely some things at Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum, which may not be visited all that often by Detroiters but is one of this area's biggest tourist attractions.

I'm afraid some parts of your chronology of the Giant Stove are incorrect. The stove stood a number of places over the years. After its return from Chicago it first stood in front of the Michigan Stove Co's headquarters on Jefferson. In 1927 it was moved a few blocks east to the other side of the stove works near the entrance to Belle Isle. It never stood on Belle Isle itself.

With great fanfare it was moved to the State Fairgrounds in 1965 where it stood outside the fence next to Woodward. By 1974 it had begun rotting out [[it was made of wood) and was disassembled and put in storage at Ft. Wayne. In 1998 it was renovated and reassembled inside the fence on the State Fairgrounds itself. And that's where it was when it suffered the fateful burst of lightning.

Thanks, I'll make the changes.

Nice idea!!

Not sure that the Uniroyal Tire on I-94 is photographed much. Generally speaking, you can't stop on the side of the freeway or get onto the property to take a photo, so you have to be prepared to do a drive-by shot.

And I would bump up the Motown Museum. Whenever I take visitors around the city, they always have a picture in front of "Hitsville" and there are usually others doing the same thing.

Someone literally lost their head awhile back taking a photo of the Uniroyal Tire

Everyone who's recently come to see me in the city has wanted to drive on 8 Mile and take their picture with a sign saying 8 Mile, whether huge interstate sign or simple corner streetsign.

Great list and a good idea!