Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Gov. Synder wants welfare cuts!

It's official! Governor Rick Snyder signed a welfare reform bill into to law on September 6th 2011.

14,000 people who are on welfare and food stamps will be cut off by October 1st 2011.

Those who are currently disabled will keep their welfare and food stamps.

Those who currently attending college have employment will not recieve welfare and food stamps.

Gov. Synder thinks that proposal will save Michigan over millions of dollars of year. What do you all think about this matter?

I think that there should be a limit on benefits, as unlimited benefits are simply unsustainable.

That being said, I think the October 1st deadline is too soon. There should be a more gradual phase-in than just a few weeks for those who are affected.

I also think that there should be time limits, but I agree, cutting people off with a little less than month's notice is a little harsh. I know in my heart that providing people eternally with food and other benefits [[people who are not seriously disabled, of course) is actually a horrible thing for the recipient. But the removal of people from the welfare rolls needs to be measured and paired with an opportunity to better themselves. Those who don't seriously seize the chance to improve should be kicked off faster.

I have to agree with the previous posters and support the new time limit on welfare. The world/country/state are facing some harsh economic realities and changes are unavoidable.

Following Clinton's Welfare Reform Act there were funds available for education and training for welfare recipients. I worked at a community college at the time and we were hit with a wave of new students that were enrolling in classes due to the fact that they had to learn some skills that would enable them to go to work following the cutoff of their benefits.

The welfare and food stamp cuts will make Michigan the toughest state in the union for those applying for those state government assistances. Those who are healthy and strong will have to look for jobs while the sick and injured will keep those benefits.

Attention all you black women who are playing house with their children, GET A JOB FAST! and earn your own income.

WORD FROM STREET PROPHET

This welfare cut proposal is brought to you by the Republican majority Michigan Legislature. Creating a better Michigan by eliminating the proletarians.

Neda, I miss you so.

DetroitPole Guest

Business taxes were cut across the board though. We have corporate welfare instead.

Maybe these businesses will, then, take that money we stopped collecting from them and, out of the kindness of their hearts, employ these indigent people.

Pure genius Republican policies.

#1... there are already measures in place to cushion the blow for those truely in need :
    The Department of Human Resources is scheduling appointments with affected families to extend housing and job placement assistance for three months to those actively seeking employment.
    Further exempt from the time limits are those :
    who have a disability and are unable to work, those caring for a disabled spouse or child, those who are 65 and older who receive little or no Social Security benefits. Victims of domestic violence that required the assistance of law enforcement may also be temporarily exempted.
    Then , of course, there is this:
    Recipients who lose cash benefits will remain eligible for food assistance, Medicaid health care, child care and emergency services.
    DHS Director Maura Corrigan said the agency is partnering with non-profit groups to provide recipients with a “soft landing” during the transition.
    Oh yeah... and there is this little item that is conveniently ignored by so many:
    The four-year limit was first signed into law in 2006 by then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm,
    Last edited by bailey; September-07-11 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Then , of course, there is this:

Oh yeah... and there is this little item that is conveniently ignored by so many:
    hurtin' em with the truth......

Welfare was originally intended to be temporary relief. The problem is that too many people abuse it and use it for a living.

So you can sit on your ass and collect welfare. Or, you can go and get a 40 hour a week job and only get a little bit more money that you would have on welfare.

Not much motivation to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    So you can sit on your ass and collect welfare. Or, you can go and get a 40 hour a week job and only get a little bit more money that you would have on welfare.
    You mind telling us where all of these people are going to find jobs in a state where it takes 1.2 years for an unemployed person to find work and where the unemployment rate is over 10%?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You mind telling us where all of these people are going to find jobs in a state where it takes 1.2 years for an unemployed person to find work and where the unemployment rate is over 10%?
    In another state. Cutting welfare has been a slow back and forth game between states for a while. The state that gets the most welfare recipients off its rolls and preferably moving out of the state wins.

If you have a high school education, and can work at a Wendy's [[for instance), you can get a decent job that will bring you about as much cash as you would get on welfare. As stated earlier, they are able to keep food stamps and medicaid for a time. If you show up for work on time and do your job well at Wendy's [[or any other fast food place), you can move up the ladder rather quickly into a managerial position. Store managers make great money, get good benefits and even education allowances.

The major problem tends to be getting babysitters and finding transportation. If there is family to babysit and a ride, this works out well for some. A family member of mine began at Wendy's as a teenager and by 25 or so was a store manager making $25K a year with full medical benefits. It is a demanding and sometimes stressful job, but it can be done if you are willing to work at it.

Problem is...most of their new hirees didn't have reliable transportation, never showed up for work on time, didn't want to do the "menial" tasks like mopping the floor, didn't take direction well, or stole from the store by taking food out of the freezer or handing food out the take out windows to their friends and family.

I know there aren't a lot of high paying jobs out there, but there ARE jobs that pay more than cash welfare benefits. The problem is you have to get out of the house and go FIND them. You have to arrange for sitters and find the right bus to get you there. Sometimes that's too much effort.

I agree that for the professionals who have lost their job after many year of dedicated work, it is difficult to find work in their specific professions, or jobs that pay anywhere near what they used to make. Those are the people I feel most sorry for.

There are services out there...and training...if people want it. But you have to WANT it. They will not come and find those who could use it. People have to seek it out.

My son lost a good paying job a while back. He was able to apply for funds and go to college while he collected his unemployment. He got his associates in Criminal Justice. He now got student loans to get his bachelor's degree, which will be done in a year or so. Did he struggle for the last few years, YES, but in the end he will be back in the work force with a great job.

There is a new culinary school in Roseville, there is Baker College, Davenport and many others where people can learn a trade in a short period of time. It's all about what you WANT. Do you want to stay home and collect welfare until it runs out, or do you want to do something with your life?

I am all for helping the needy. Welfare is a necessary thing. But it was not meant to be a lifetime benefit. It was meant to help people get on their feet and then move into the workforce. I am glad they are now going to enforce the limit for the cash payments. Leave the food stamps and stuff until gainful employment is found and families can sustain themselves, and then take those away too.

But another problem is enforcement...not enough people checking to see who is working and still collecting...or living with someone who works and still collecting...or listing children they don't have...etc. etc. etc. I feel that if they hired some of the unemployed as investigators and found a lot of the cheaters, they would save more money than they will kicking of those who need it badly.

IMHO :-)

lilpup Guest

Sorry, but I think the whole "lack of education" meme is bull. There are a lot of highly educated people not getting jobs. Oftentimes the education is getting used AGAINST them in the job search.

This is going to have a serious impact in Detroit specifically. A percentage of rental housing, already teetering on ruin re. some households will fully collapse I am afraid. This is where the impact is going to be felt first with the loss of cash for vended rents... Those who can move in with others will be forced to do so. Or leave Michigan all together.....

Food stamps and health care will continue for mothers with children but 'cash' assistance such as vended rent and utlities will cease for those on already beyond the 'cap' off time.

I've heard that the actual cut off will be within three months. Not actually October 1st. One friend of mine works at a local FIA [[Family Independence Office) welfare office and they are gearing up for the mania.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I think that there should be a limit on benefits, as unlimited benefits are simply unsustainable.

That being said, I think the October 1st deadline is too soon. There should be a more gradual phase-in than just a few weeks for those who are affected.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-08-11 at 02:39 AM.

Indeed it can. When I was out there temping I had to have about three or four different resumes running. One 'dummied' down in order to get a base secretarial job [[which I took during the lean times) and then my other resume bearing my more specialty skills. Otherwise you get the 'you're over-qualified' rap. You learn how to customize your resumes and cover letters for certain jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Sorry, but I think the whole "lack of education" meme is bull. There are a lot of highly educated people not getting jobs. Oftentimes the education is getting used AGAINST them in the job search.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-11 at 09:09 PM.

DetroitPole Guest

I don't disagree that welfare reform is needed - and those milking the system have to go. Yet Exxon can get away with pay $0 in federal taxes in 2009 and no one bats an eye, Fannie and Freddie will cost us $154,000,000,000 and nobody gives a shit, but some poor son of a bitch collecting a few hundred dollars a month is an affront to the Almighty. Priorities, I guess.

And yeah, there are plenty of low-lifes who don't want to work, or as I have encountered more often, have no idea how to work, behave, dress, or perform in a professional environment. That comes undoubtedly from generations of poverty. No excuse, but I guess if no one in your family has ever had a real job it doesn't really help your chances.

" Or, you can go and get a 40 hour a week job and only get a little bit more money that you would have on welfare."
    Of course, people can just walk out of their houses and get 40 hour a week jobs. I mean, this is Michigan after all. If you are privy to where in Michigan people can just go and get full time jobs, you can sell it and get rich. I can tell you it ain't Wendy's. I'm pretty sure you're just sadly deluded.

Of course there are things like fast food jobs, but look at the ghetto - there are rarely even those anymore. To reach those, the perpetual underclass often need to catch a couple buses to the suburbs, and we all know how well-funded and reliable our transportation system is. That is, if it even exists in your community, since many have opted out.

So guess where are a bunch of poor, desperate wretches going to go? Look forward to getting pistol whipped in your driveway. Coming to a suburb near you! And you'll wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You have to look.

Everyone I know that has made serious attempts to find a job has found a job. Both college educated and some without a college education.

If you don't have a high school diploma it's your own damn fault and your lack of effort to get even the most basic of an education should not be rewarded or subsidized by the rest of us.

Let someone's family take care of a person without a job. I would take in my sister and her family of 5 if need be.

There are so many other options other than milking welfare.

The idea of weaning off welfare back to workfare got lost somewhere. Not PC to say but in some cases welfare can become a lifestyle.

I was on welfare for a couple of years almost 20 years ago. Times where tough, kids, surgeries, interruptions in completing undergrad... etc. I pushed hard and got off, and ultimately got into my field. I am thankful that the safety net was there when I needed it.

However, if and once you get comfortable on welfare it's harder to get off, and now with jobs far harder to acquire than years back it's going to be bad out there... really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Welfare was originally intended to be temporary relief. The problem is that too many people abuse it and use it for a living.

Not much motivation to do the right thing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-11 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    If you have a high school education, and can work at a Wendy's [[for instance), you can get a decent job that will bring you about as much cash as you would get on welfare.
    [[Very good post)

But there's the problem. Some people are motivated to get a job and get into the workforce.

However, other folks will see that they are no better off working. Working 40 hours gets them in the same place as they were when they didn't try.

Thus, reform is the only way.

Personally, I would rather see it eliminated. Your family should be your support structure, not your government.

Indeed the fraud factor and lack of verification has accelerated these cuts! It was coming and for those who think the 'big-bad-wolf' in this is exclusive to Snyder, recall that Clinton signed in the fore-running welfare reforms initiative back during his presidency!

Yep, welfare was not to be a lifetime thing... And IRONICALLY it takes you just far enough to be more impoverished in later life... Talk to anyone who works in older adult services. Their case loads are full of such stories!!!

Many single woman now in their 50's, some having never worked, children now 'grown', no skills - and no more welfare proceeds for children.

That's a bad place to be, as the END of Welfare is the result, without a governors signature!! Democrat or Repub...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I am all for helping the needy. Welfare is a necessary thing. But it was not meant to be a lifetime benefit. It was meant to help people get on their feet and then move into the workforce. I am glad they are now going to enforce the limit for the cash payments. Leave the food stamps and stuff until gainful employment is found and families can sustain themselves, and then take those away too.

But another problem is enforcement...
    not enough people checking to see who is working and still collecting...or living with someone who works and still collecting...or listing children they don't have...etc. etc. etc. I feel that if they hired some of the unemployed as investigators and found a lot of the cheaters, they would save more money than they will kicking of those who need it badly.

IMHO :-)
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-11 at 09:15 PM.

Yep, indeed we do have corporate welfare which IS NOT EXCLUSIVE TO THE REPUBS!

Please believe,
    and KNOW the Dems [[ala their policy narratives and initiations of said policies) have their hand in and vested to insulating their big business, corportist pal-sies and what all.

Nice, neat package and world if where just the repubs segregating themselves from fiscal hardship.

Not!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Business taxes were cut across the board though. We have corporate welfare instead.

Maybe these businesses will, then, take that money we stopped collecting from them and, out of the kindness of their hearts, employ these indigent people.

Pure genius Republican policies.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-11 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

"The four-year limit was signed into law in 2006 by then-GoV. Jennifer Granholm."
    No.... I don't seem to recall that specific law implemented 5 years ago.... actually I'm at a loss to remember ANY specific laws implemented in 2006... I''m sure the various layers of government passed many laws that year that were hadly more than a blip on the radar....

Then again, I may have been in the Hamptons with my Bridge Card that week.....

You gotta fund tax breaks for Amway someway.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    You gotta fund tax breaks for Amway someway.
    you want the Redwings [[presented by Amway) to win another Stanley Cup, you want to see another Red Wing [[presented by Amyway) parade down Woodward?

the naming rights to the Red Wings [[presented by Amway) doesn't come free........

46 other states have time limits on welfare. Now that Michigan has signed there are only 3 with no time limits.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast