Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 300 years of Detroit history hidden away in a secret building

Channel 4 has been show some building which houses 300 years of Detroit historical artifacts. How is this possible?? is this a private collection?. If not ,who does this all belong to? If It belongs to the City of Detroit, why isn't it all housed in the Detroit Historical musem? Some thing isn't right here about all this. The people of Detroit should have the right to see all of this.
    Is the Historical musem too small?
    This town has money to piss away on sports stadiums and the like, but cannot build a decent musem for the public to see all that is Detroit from 1701 and before??
    Does anyone know about this?
    Last edited by Lowell; May-30-09 at 11:13 PM.

lilpup Guest

It's the Historical Society's Collections Resource Center. It's open today as a fundraiser.

The Historical Society administrates more than one facility, not just the Museum on Woodward.

Well ,you would think they would want to show it all to the public?? I didn't even know they had all this stuff. What good is it hidden away?

Yes, but in an article in the other thread about this it says they do put some of it on display or loan it out. The museum has changing exhibits, so they must rotate stuff in and out as needed.

Well ,you would think they would want to show it all to the public?? I didn't even know they had all this stuff. What good is it hidden away?
    I would assume they also grant access to researchers.

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    Channel 4 has been show some building which houses 300 years of Detroit historical artifacts. How is this possible?? is this a private collection?. If not ,who does this all belong to? If It belongs to the City of Detroit, why isn't it all housed in the Detroit Historical musem? Some thing isn't right here about all this. The people of Detroit should have the right to see all of this.
    This town has money to piss away on sports stadiums and the like, but cannot build a decent musem for the public to see all that is Detroit from 1701 and before??
    Does anyone know about this?
    Are you aware that the Smithsonian only shows about 1% of its' collections at any one time?

In fact most musems only show part of their collections. So why get indignant?

From what I gather, the DHS collection of old clothing alone could probably fill several museums.

You need to keep things in perspective!

Yes, like other historical and art museums, only a small portion of the collection is on display at any one time. I'd guess maybe only 5% of the holdings of the Detroit Historical Society are on display at the main museum, Dossin, or on loan, but I'm no expert. Although the public can't really view the holdings of the CRC [[except on rare occasions such as this evening's fundraiser), be assured the holdings are stored in decent facilities such that continued deterioration of artifacts is minimal. The estimation of 200,000-250,000 artifacts in storage at the CRC is probably accurate. I hope this evening's event is a good success - if anyone went from this forum, I'd like to hear how it was.

Don't forget, your donation to the Detroit Historical Society does more than simply fund the Old Streets of Detroit or Glancy trains. It helps pay the bills for the CRC, employ researchers, caretakers and curators, buy archival quality materials for safe storage of artifacts, and that sort of thing. Archival materials aren't cheap!

DIA keeps most of its collection in the basements, or on loan. Its the way most institutions care for such things.

stinkbug Guest

If I may chime in...I work for the Detroit Historical Society and I was there.
    The evening was a huge success. I heard nothing but positive feedback. Detroit's history, after all, does not disappoint.
    It was the Collections Resource Center at Historic Fort Wayne, which is operated by the Detroit Historical Society, an independent non-profit organization, which is not a city department. These artifacts are archived at the CRC and rotated for exhibits and well-kept for preservation.
    There is no "basement" of the DHM, hence there is a facility at Fort Wayne. Many objects go on loan, but of course, because it isn't high art, but Detroit artifacts, the market is limited.
    Our collections team does an incredible job with the minimal resources they have. Just a decade ago, when there was a Detroit Historical "Department"[[city department) there were MILLIONS of dollars flowing in from the City. No longer.
    That aside, jgavrile, what are you so indignant about? These artifacts are being carefully preserved and go on display at the DHM and throughout the region when on loan. And the CRC is most certainly opened to researchers. Collections have to be cared for. When was the last time you were let into the basement of the DIA to shuffle around?
    If you didn't attend this year, look forward to another showing next year. If you like the work the Detroit Historical Society is doing, become a member or a volunteer.
    http://www.detroithistorical.org/
    Times are unbelievably tough for non-profits and if the DHS needs all the help it can get.

I would have liked to have seen that stuff.I need to get over to the DHM, It has been awhile. I have been to that area twice in the last two days so it might be safe to take stuff to Cubs.

I was also at the event,I'm a docent,working with the automotive collection.The event went well,was well attended,and I'm sure will be done again.Its a chance to see behind the scenes of a major collection.Not many places offer that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by notimpressed View Post
    I would think anything prior to the Coleman Young era would be considered racist and not worthy of preserving, as far as the current city government in charge is concerned.

Detroit hates itself.
    You're projecting.

I think the society is waiting until people can demonstrate appreciation instead of disdain.