Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Any other wannabe Detroiters ghosting this forum? Bonus: folks w/yg kids like me!

I have been following the Detroit Renaissance mostly from afar [[I live in WA, though I did go out this summer to see for myself), and am more than inspired. I'm EXCITED about all of the many facets being cut there. I fancy myself an urban homesteading, recovering academic with entrepreneurial aspirations. The urban ag developments [[everything from Brother Nature to Hantz Farms...it's all good), the grassroots small business incubation [[Hatch Detroit...what an AWESOME idea), and even the conventional urban renewal [[Detroit Revitalization Fellows) and corporate reurbanization, along with the burgeoning artist scene and the perpetual music culture all make Detroit seem to be THE place for me to raise my daughter, take an entrepreneurial risk and probably not lose my shirt if it doesn't work out [[though, of course it will).

But because I am a mother, a single one at that, I am reticent to take a flying leap into the unknown. Most of the Detroit transplant stories I read are about 20/30-something singletons making the move. I have seen nothing about young families [[with two or single parents).

So, are there any young families moving into Detroit city [[not Metro, thank you) right now? Where are you moving [[my current list of faves: IV or WV [b/c I LOVE the river, the proximity to downtown & the Waldorf]; Woodbridge; B-E)? Where are you finding work [[if you have a job) OR are customers showing an interest in your business venture [[if you are an entrepreneur)? Does the city diversity feel balkanized like LA or do people really, genuinely mix it up and get to know each other?

This is my first forum post - probably not my last. Apologies if it rambles. And many, many thanks for any non-flaming feedback or pointers.

Life is too short for second thoughts. Detroit is great for an adult and demand for small/medium business is rising.You should just make the move

Although you just would probably want to find a private school for your kids.

Good Luck.

There are others with kids who live in downtown and midtown. Lafayette Park is nice, too. There are good private schools in the area. I haven't heard much about them lately, but there's Friends and Waldorf. Time goes by, so if you want to live your dream do it asap! Good luck!

Thank you both for the encouragement! Believe me, I am trying to get my ducks lined up for the move. Having a toddler and being a few short months away from being debt free [[well except fort student loans), are making me move with a bit more deliberation and calculation than I would've if it were just me with no residual financial obligations. But I AM coming. Soon.