Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Metal Window Security Mesh/Grate

I had my garage broken into a few days ago [[ in Port Huron ) and have determined that my weakest security point is the window on the service door of my garage [[ The thief figured this out too.) I can't afford an alarm system and a dog is not in my future..so i am wondering if anyone on the forum can steer me to a metro detroit location that sells metal grating or mesh that I can install on the inside of my utility window to make it harder and noisier for a thief to gain entry. Not interested in big metal bars that install on the outside. I checked the local Lowes and Home depot too..nothing there fit the bill. Thanks.

diver1369 Guest

Do you need the light from the door window? I put a sheet of plywood up secured with wood screws and painted it. A former co-worker would save his old razor blades and nail them around the inside of the garage window.

1. You can get metal lath in 3' by 8' sections for $15, available at the big boxes near the plaster or concrete aisles, [[still used by plasterers and tile setters) and put that in the inside of the window. Even if you cut it, that shit will rip thru your skin pretty messily [[I work with this stuff occasionally) even when you're being careful with it. Use large fender washers and secure from the inside.

2. How bout glass block windows?

3. My personal favorite, cement in a few old beer or pop bottles on the window ledge, let the concrete set, and smash the tops off of the bottles. I wouldn't recommend this if you have children

I put two of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...40&refid=store
    in my Garage there remote controlled twice as loud as smoke detector with a strobe light and I put it up in the highest part of the peak where you cant get to them easily. if you walk into my garage with it set its loud as hell while flashing its worked great for me.
    also its cheap battery operated with no wiring

Fedral Pipe and supply should have what your looking for. On E. McNichols [[6 mile) X Mt Elliot I believe. You can also just go to a scrap yard and look around for what you need at a much better price but they probably wont cut it down to size without throwin a few bucks around.

my old house had a detached garage and over the window in the service door we had a metal shelf/rack from like a bread rack. it was screwed in around its perimeter and was pretty solid. it would have required the entire door being broken down for entry...

you might try that, or go out to Ferguson Steel or maybe Eugene Welding and look and see if they have any expanded metal 'drops' left. that can be had fairly cheap and secure it with wood screws and fender washers in a similar manner as the above mentioned rack...

google "steel in port huron" and get the full list. some are in marysville too...

PHHS
    class of 83!

I myself have been looking for the metel mesh that my Grandpa used on his house.I have bars on my window, yet that don't keep baseballs or other things from breaking it.

I used to use common rat screening. It's a thick mesh screen sold by the yard in many hardware stores or possible garden supply stores.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    Do you need the light from the door window? I put a sheet of plywood up secured with wood screws and painted it. A former co-worker would save his old razor blades and nail them around the inside of the garage window.
    Razor blade thing sounds kinda heavy duty, when you got that going on I'd say it's time to move.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Razor blade thing sounds kinda heavy duty, when you got that going on I'd say it's time to move.
    Why's that?

Check out this site, they have all kinds of wire mesh and wire cloth. I bought some 2 x 2 heavy duty wire mesh and they shipped it out to me, has worked great, I covered all of my windows just in case something might happen. Would rather cover the windows now than when it might be too late. Be sure to get some wire mesh with a heavy wire diameter, this way the mesh is more heavy duty and not as flimsy.

http://www.bwire.com/

Just run the hot wire from a nearby electrical outlet to the metal door handle. It will be quite noisy when the thief returns.

Default Anyone order the mesh?

http://www.bwire.com/

They have a lot in stock right now, I just ordered another piece for my screen door.