Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Arts Beats and eats?

Anyone been to A B and E? Thinking about going later today. Is it crowded?

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Anyone been to A B and E? Thinking about going later today. Is it crowded?
    Did it get rained out last night as the Detroit Jazz Festival was? After it had stopped raining the acts didn't come back on. The Riverwalk was closed at 9pm.

That cheap bastard Witz kept the festival going even after the entire neighborhood was plunged into darkness. The storm was horrible here and Washington Ave. is covered with debris.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    That cheap bastard Witz kept the festival going even after the entire neighborhood was plunged into darkness. The storm was horrible here and Washington Ave. is covered with debris.
    Who is Witz ??

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Who is Witz ??
    Jonathan Witz is the guy whose company produces Arts, Beats & Eats and the Winter Blast, among other events.

Didnt they have the AB n E on Grand Blvd in Detroit near Woodward a few yrs ago? I paid like $8 for a half of a sandwich with "tickets". They made it so you would always wind up with more tickets than you needed. As I remember beer was about $8 also.

I cant stand corporate sponsored events like these, they just squeeze the hell outta everybody.

BTW, Dally is not sponsored by anyone, we pass the savings on to you. Where else can you find a big cup of GOOD beer for $4? not to mention free martinis if you know the right ppl.

Sorry to threadjack PGN. you know I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Didnt they have the AB n E on Grand Blvd in Detroit near Woodward a few yrs ago? I paid like $8 for a half of a sandwich with "tickets". They made it so you would always wind up with more tickets than you needed. As I remember beer was about $8 also.

I cant stand corporate sponsored events like these, they just squeeze the hell outta everybody.

BTW, Dally is not sponsored by anyone, we pass the savings on to you. Where else can you find a big cup of GOOD beer for $4? not to mention free martinis if you know the right ppl.

Sorry to threadjack PGN. you know I love you.
    No that was Taste Fest and that was always around the Freedom Frestival. A, B & E was in Pontiac until a few years ago.

They actually moved some of the later jazz performers inside the Ren Cen Marriott hotel lobby and they performed there. It was pretty cool from what I hear.

AB&E is a blatant money-grab. No "soul" or sense of purpose like the events it helped kill [[Festival of the Arts, TasteFest, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    AB&E is a blatant money-grab. No "soul" or sense of purpose like the events it helped kill [[Festival of the Arts, TasteFest, etc.).
    How did AB&E help kill Comerica TasteFest? They were two months apart. Perhaps they ate the same sponsorship dollars?

Limited sponsorship dollars in America's most depressed market?

Had a great time! Too many people. Vince Gill was great

I dont mean to come down on ppls fun, it just seems that as soon as corporate sponsors get involved with a party the soul is sucked out of that partys fundamentals.

DetroitPole Guest

Sorry, never been. I am sure Hamtramck Labor Day festival is far more interesting...in countless ways...foremost being the crowd...great people watching to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Having attended AB&E, TasteFest, Festival of the Arts, and so many other festivals that combine music, art, and food, I fail to see how you can call AB&E a "blatant money-grab". Who was grabbing the money?? The musicians played for the patrons and got paid for their gig, the restaurants sold food, and artists from all over the country sold their wares. Attendees heard music by national acts and local groups, ate food from restaurants they previously might not have known about, and they bought art from talented local and national artists. Proceeds went to local Michigan charities, just as TasteFest proceeds did. And in spite of this event happening on the same weekend as a myriad of other big and worth-attending festivals, it survives due to the interest and patronage of SE Michiganders and others.

And I don't believe that AB&E killed the other festivals. Not only are corporate sponsorships necessary to fund the event, partially in order to bring in the big name musical acts or the artistic international performers, but there is much competition among the festivals and the events. I've talked with some of the folks associated with Festival of the Arts and TasteFest and there are many reasons that these festivals no longer exist.
    Last edited by Kathleen; September-05-11 at 10:59 AM.

They need to put A B & E at the Fairgrounds. As far as I'm concerned, the State Fair's demise is due to this event

Too crowded, too expensive. I went yesterday, I really tried but it is a soulless money suck. No personality, nothing that says Detroit or Michigan - maybe it says Royal Oak [[we want your money, get drunk and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    They need to put A B & E at the Fairgrounds. As far as I'm concerned, the State Fair's demise is due to this event
    That is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    That is a good point.
    I think he was kidding. The State Fair's demise was supposed to be due to the state defunding it.

Too crowded, too expensive. I went yesterday, I really tried but it is a soulless money suck. No personality, nothing that says Detroit or Michigan - maybe it says Royal Oak [[we want your money, get drunk and go home.
    I guess I would ask you what appeals to you about a festival like AB&E. I go for the music...lots of Detroit and Michigan musicians are on the schedule, and then there are the national acts that you can see for free! I enjoy trying some different and tasty food from restaurants near and far. And I may buy some wares from the local and national artists and vendors, mostly to give as gifts.

And as I write this, I can say the same thing as to why I go to the Clay & Glass Festival in Royal Oak, the People;s Art Festival, the Detroit Jazz Festival, Noel Night, the Hamtramck Labor Day Festival, the Winter Blast, the Dally in the Alley, as well as those festivals already mentioned that have become defunct. I only spend what I can afford. And if I think the cost of food and drink is too expensive, I don't indulge. It's a simple plan that works for me. As for the crowds, I'm not going to complain. The point of all of these festivals is to draw people in. And the more people that attend, the better entertainment, the better restaurant vendors, and the better artists come into the event each year. Pure and simple. As a Royal Oak resident, I'm glad that there is something to draw people into the city.

Do you think the artists were even worth mentioning? Every weekend at Rust Belt Market, you can do much better.

Each to their own, as a Royal Oak resident, I think our city is held hostage for 1 week a year by this faceless thing. I like a little personality, I will miss Festival of the Arts and CityFest for the funk it brought.

I like it much better than the car and hillbilly thingy. But that's not saying much.

It's not free, it's cheap but it's not free. You paid for your wristband, unless you got a pass. Most people had to pay $15 a day to park plus admission. Last time I checked, $18 is money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I think he was kidding. The State Fair's demise was supposed to be due to the state defunding it.
    I intepreted the fact that they were on the same weekend cannabalized the amount of attendees.

Do you think the artists were even worth mentioning? Every weekend at Rust Belt Market, you can do much better.

It's not free, it's cheap but it's not free. You paid for your wristband, unless you got a pass. Most people had to pay $15 a day to park plus admission. Last time I checked, $18 is money.
    Well, I can't speak to the caliber of every artist at AB&E or at the Rust Belt Market, or at any of the festivals for that matter. Some are great. Some are good. Some are mediocre. And some are awful. I buy what I enjoy or think someone else will enjoy. But I do enjoy the fact that the artists are there and that they are making a living at what they love doing.

As for the admission fee, I'm happy to pay $3 admission. [[from the AB&E website)"This $3 admission fee supports the festival and community as follows: .25 to Arts Advocacy, .25 to the City of Royal Oak, and 50% of the remaining admission fees to 13 local charities after gating costs."

I won't disagree with the parking fee one bit!! I don't mind paying a reasonable price to park, but $15 is steep. Hence, we ride our bikes, or park just outside the permit perimeter and walk in. It's really not too bad of a walk, comparable to parking and walking to the Riverfront downtown.

My only complaint is that it is not in Detroit. When it was in Pontiac, I didn't mind because Pontiac has fallen on bad times and they could use the business, but Royal Oak is already a destination for many folks.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I intepreted the fact that they were on the same weekend cannabalized the amount of attendees.
    Bingo!! Yes I do agree that AB&E helped kill the State Fair. Granted it wasn't the only reason... but it helped lower the attendance numbers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast