Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default who is enjoying the jazz festival?

saturday, lots of folks at the event, good performers, everything was orderly.. until the rain hit that evening as Sun Ra's Arkestra was about to go on at Hart Plaza.. I ducked out.. didn't come back to see if they finally continued after the rain abated..

Everthing had reminaed closed after the rain abated early yesterday evening. This summer had been a terrible summer for festivals. The first day of each festival which was on fridays the weather was nice; Saturdays had started out nicely then the raiin storm had came cancelling some of the performances after the rain abated. I had always thought that a backup plan should be established in case of rain. I wonder if Arts Beats and Eats in Royal Oak kept their shop closed up last night even after the rain had abated.

Jazz Festival did not continue after rain abated. AB&E kept on going after rain abated. I guess different viewpoints on rain and its subsequent abatement.

I was at the Sun Ra Arkestra when the rain hit as well. Unfortunately for me, I was only down there for an hour before they were set to perform. After the rain passed, some members of the band performed a couple selections anyways even though the stage was without power. Still pretty bummed about the rain washing out the night.

Also, apparently they moved the remaining events of the night inside the Ren Cen. Again, unfortunately for me and lots of others- there was no notice of this. I only found out about it after I was home and saw the facebook page of the Jazz Fest saying how great it turned out. *sigh*

Was there earlier today...the acts were pretty sweet.

Just got home from the Jazz Fest....

Had a wonderful afternoon, despite the rain showers that teased us [[umbrella up, umbrella down, back up...down...up....down...!!!).

Started off with Johnnie Bassett and the Blues Insurgents...great show!! Thornetta Davis joined them for 4 songs to cap off their performance. She was terrific!!!

Caught a bit of Jeff "Tain" Watts' performance with the MSU Bebop group. Whoa!!

Heard a song from Dave Sharp at the Pyramid Stage...and Regina Carter at the River Stage...then settled in for the J.C. Heard Tribute band headed up by Walt Schemansky, with 9 former J.C. Heard alumni on hand. Very nice!!!

Hope to make it back down there tomorrow, probably splitting the day with Arts, Beats & Eats.
    Last edited by Kathleen; September-04-11 at 07:23 PM.

I was down there for ashort minute...got some nice phots. I may actually head back down again for a little more entertainment...

Johnnie Bassett was just wonderful.

Thornetta did something I've never seen her do in all these twenty-somethin' years of hearing her sing. She sang a Phyllis Hyman ballad, with only Chris Codish on keys, and had the rapt attention of every one of the 1500+ people in the crowd. If it weren't for the yakking walkie talkie of the young securty gent in front of us, you'd hear a pin drop. The hairs were standing up all over my body as she took us into a quiet depth of controlled emotion...she was in perfect form tonight.

Went over to see Regina Carter, who never ceases to amaze me.

The sound quality and overall volume were perfect. This might've been the best overall set of shows I've witnessed all year.

Went back to Hart Plaza, after a quick fish & chips dinner at Grand Trunk Pub, to catch Paquito D'Rivera. That man makes magic with his horns.

This is the best public event in Detroit.

Cheers,
    John

Agree. I only caught little tastes of it, here and there... darn weather... I agree that this summer has been particularly rainy on weekends and festival days.

As always, the best four days of the year in Detroit. Wouldn't trade them for the same four days anywhere else on the planet.

My favorite new discovery? Cyrille Aimée, who performed with Hot Club of Detroit. Excellent video here of a song she did at the festival. Just her and a loop pedal, no other effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJjVjV0EYaM

Jazz isn't my thing, but we walked through the Campus Martius area twice while eating and wandering around downtown before a Tiger's game; it was nice! The music was very enjoyable.

Downtown Detroit offers a lot more space than Downtown Royal Oak does. I would love to see AB&E moved to Downtown Detroit, I think it has outgrown its current venue.