Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Carrado Parducci and the Book Cadillac Hotel

Above the Michigan Avenue entrance of the Book-Cadillac hotel are
    attractive statues of Antoine Cadillac, Chief Pontiac, Robert Navarre and General
    Anthony Wayne. Did Parducci carve them? Thank you.

Certainly in all the Parducci discussions through the years, I have not heard him credited with the Book Cadillac sculptures. I believe that name of the sculptor who did those statues on the B-C remains a mystery.

No mention of the sculptor in this transcribed 1924 article posted in an archived DYes thread called The Book Cadillac Speaks.
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/76017/88662.html
    If it were Parducci, he would not have been a known name. But given the 1924 date for the B-C, and the fact that Parducci came to Detroit about 1924 to work on a commission, it would be highly unlikely. In this interview, Kamper is not mentioned at all, where numerous other Detroit architects are mentioned as giving Parducci lots of work when he first arrived here. http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/in...608#transcript

just to pay homage to the expert ...:

eeeeeeek

Really Gnome..... you get up my krawlspace... whenever you do that.....

I hope that if Corrado Parducci did do some work on the Book Cadillac, that it was exterior stonework. He also did ornate plasterwork... his ceiling of the Christopher Wren Dining Room at Meadowbrook Hall is spectacular.... it would be sad if some of the intact plasterwork that was hacked out of the BC before they did their "renovation" was some of his work....
    Last edited by Gistok; September-02-11 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    just to pay homage to the expert ...:

eeeeeeek
    You can bet that before posting my response, I did some checking against some of the resources compiled or referenced by our friend eeeeeek!!

I am pretty sure that CP did not do anything on this building.
    However, I just discovered a selvpublished book - no author listed called something like 'Sculpture on Buildings by Corrado Parducci' Does anyone know what this work is?

Jeeze man, where have you been?

Hey, eeeee!!! How are you?!?!

I have not heard of the book you mentioned, but after digging around a bit, I think that it is self-published, perhaps out of the Eastern Michigan University Historic Preservation program?

I am fine, nice to see a few familiar faces. My "other life" aka "offline" is a bit overwhelming, but this is one of my homes. I don't think this publication is from any university, I think that those are just tags to get attention. The mention of Loyola, Fordham HS and EMU is odd because they are such unknown, and maybe rightfully so, examples of his work. I am in contact with someone who ordered it and I'll post here when I learn something.