Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Shaving Gear [Where to buy in metro Detroit]

Does anyone know of any place in the city that sell tradtional wetshaving supplies. [[I.E., soaps, brushes, blades). With the cost of current replacement blades, safety razors are looking more and more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cushkid View Post
    Does anyone know of any place in the city that sell tradtional wetshaving supplies. [[I.E., soaps, brushes, blades). With the cost of current replacement blades, safety razors are looking more and more appealing.
    Art of Shaving just opened at Sommerset. Mostly soaps, creams and fancy handles for Mach 3 razors, but they also carry a bit of straight and safety stuff.

Churchill's tobacco shop in Birmingham has a small selection.

The best I've found in the area is Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor - they have a *ton* of stuff at all price ranges, from the Prorasso staple up to Truefitt and Hill and Trumpers. Only place I've found that carries Feather razor blades, as well.

Whole Foods sometimes has a nice selection of good quality shaving cream and after shaves, as do the Plum Markets.

I was surprised to find how easy it is to find shaving soap. It's at the CVS in Hamtramck.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I was surprised to find how easy it is to find shaving soap. It's at the CVS in Hamtramck.
    i was going to say the same.

Seriously, has anyone ever shaved with straight razor? But anyways, the Art of Shaving is pretty cool but also mighty expensive.

I've never used a straight razor although I've had a barber use one on me.

Just for reference, here's a safety razor and here's a straight razor.

I used to be into collecting knives. I was surprised to learn that there are a lot of collectors that specialize in straight razors.

If anyone wants to get into using straight razors, I'd recommend planning ahead for sharpening it. I have a Lansky system but I'm not sure if that would be best for razors. It forces the stone/blade angle to stay consistent which is very important to sharpening. Razors have a very acute-angled edge. You'll need a strop and maybe a honing rod too.

Proper sharpening is a lost art in today's disposable culture. It's time consuming but the results are far superior to any quick fixes. With razors, you'll want it sharpened properly.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-02-11 at 07:25 PM.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've never used a straight razor although I've had a barber use one on me.

Just for reference, here's a safety razor and here's a straight razor.

I used to be into collecting knives. I was surprised to learn that there are a lot of collectors that specialize in straight razors.

If anyone wants to get into using straight razors, I'd recommend planning ahead for sharpening it. I have a Lansky system but I'm not sure if that would be best for razors. It forces the stone/blade angle to stay consistent which is very important to sharpening. Razors have a very acute-angled edge. You'll need a strop and maybe a honing rod too.

Proper sharpening is a lost art in today's disposable culture. It's time consuming but the results are far superior to any quick fixes. With razors, you'll want it sharpened properly.
    One of these straight razor stones is needed for a straight razor, along with a strop.
    http://www.amazingshaving.com/page/amsh/PROD/str/cc110

Cool thread. I too would recommend Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor. Where can one get a good shave at in the Detroit area?

I went to a great barber shop in Rotterdam, Netherlands that was really old-school. They had vingate cuts and finished with hair tonic & pomade. The shaves included warm shaving cream and lots of interesting shaving techniques, and even a quick shave on the back of your neck to finish.

Last edited by Gsgeorge; September-02-11 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    One of these straight razor stones is needed for a straight razor, along with a strop.
    http://www.amazingshaving.com/page/amsh/PROD/str/cc110
    Now that one doesn't "force the stone/blade angle to stay consistent." But, yeah, if the operator were careful enough he could compensate. The Lansky system might be considered a cheat for folks that haven't yet developed that level of skill. I'll cheat if it guarantees good results.

There's a video on YouTube that demonstrates grinding the stone from the blade's spine to edge. The correct direction is from edge to spine. [[Beware of bad advice on YouTube.)

Barbers-- even the old school veterans-- seem to have given up on straight razors. The rhythmic slap of a razor on a strop was a sound that was unmistakable. Every barber chair had a strop hanging from the side.

One thing to remember: safety razors are called safety razors for a reason. Straight razors CUT! Safety razors themselves are hard enough to use without slicing yourself open.

Vox Guest

Now that one doesn't "force the stone/blade angle to stay consistent." But, yeah, if the operator were careful enough he could compensate. The Lansky system might be considered a cheat for folks that haven't yet developed that level of skill. I'll cheat if it guarantees good results.

There's a video on YouTube that demonstrates grinding the stone from the blade's spine to edge. The correct direction is from edge to spine. [[Beware of bad advice on YouTube.)
    This illustrates the whole process. Sharpening a straight razor with a stone is generally a once in a great while thing. The strop is key.
    http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwik...uide_to_Honing

Vox Guest

This illustrates the whole process. Sharpening a straight razor with a stone is generally a once in a great while thing. The strop is key.
    http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwik...uide_to_Honing

I have 7 or 8 straight razors from the 20's through the 40's. I don't use them, although I could.

Thanks, Vox. That was very informative.

Here's one that ventures off into the obscure about obsidian razors: shaving with stone razors.

You can't get much sharper than a edge of one molecule's width. No grinding required.

I currently have 4 different razors that I rotate through, I figured with the hipsters and their desire to use vintage items that are "green". I thought someone would have a shop somewhere in the midtown area. The process of a vintage shave with a mug and a brush is quite relaxing and so much cheaper.

You have a lot more to gain by soaking your face with soap and water for a few minutes [[not just throwing on shaving cream from a can) than the outcome of any choice involving safety, cartridge, or straight razors.

My suspicion - having tried pretty much every shaving method that exists - is that the lore of the straight razor comes from the fact that the "normal" straight-razor shaving procedure involves more prep [[and results in more beard softening). Reproduce this prep with other razors, and you can get an excellent shave with any but the worst disposable razors [[Bic yellow). And skip the prep with a straight, and you can get just as poor results as with anything else. A dry beard can literally dull your razor. Any razor.

Modern, teflon-coated commercial cartridge blades are very, very sharp and last a surprisingly long amount of time [[two to three weeks) if you care for them. And by caring for them, I mean rinsing them off and letting them air-dry. Straight razors require a good amount of maintenance every time [[and any steel used for knife blades can rust). They're great for barbers, since they can be sterilized and don't incur buying a new blade every time your neck or face gets shaved. But for everyone else, they represent a time commitment that may or may not be worth it.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    You have a lot more to gain by soaking your face with soap and water for a few minutes [[not just throwing on shaving cream from a can) than the outcome of any choice involving safety, cartridge, or straight razors.

My suspicion - having tried pretty much every shaving method that exists - is that the lore of the straight razor comes from the fact that the "normal" straight-razor shaving procedure involves more prep [[and results in more beard softening). Reproduce this prep with other razors, and you can get an excellent shave with any but the worst disposable razors [[Bic yellow). And skip the prep with a straight, and you can get just as poor results as with anything else. A dry beard can literally dull your razor. Any razor.

Modern, teflon-coated commercial cartridge blades are very, very sharp and last a surprisingly long amount of time [[two to three weeks) if you care for them. And by caring for them, I mean rinsing them off and letting them air-dry. Straight razors require a good amount of maintenance every time [[and any steel used for knife blades can rust). They're great for barbers, since they can be sterilized and don't incur buying a new blade every time your neck or face gets shaved. But for everyone else, they represent a time commitment that may or may not be worth it.
    Absolutely correct. I haven't used shaving cream in ages. Soap and hot water works wonders, as does a hot, wet washcloth against the face before the shaving cream. Kind of replicates the hot towel barbershop experience, but nothing really can. It's quite relaxing.

Huggybear has it right....

And you can get a round shaving soap bar at Krogers along with a nice brush. Put the bar in the bottom of a mug, then run brush under hot water, lather up some soap and get your face ready.

Fusion Power razor is my current favorite. Although it varies depending on who is handing out free razors via the internet that month.
    Last edited by East Detroit; September-03-11 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Changed Kroger to Krogers, because I wanted to.

I'm getting a safety razor because of this thread... I searched the web and looks like for less than price of ten cartriges for my Sensor, I could get at least 100 double-edged blades!

E bay is a great source for vintage safety razors. Walmart carries an excellent bar shaving soap for about $1.50. Try melting the soap in your shaving mug/bowl in the micro. Keeps it from sliding around while you lather up. Silvertip badger brushes are the top of the line. $50+. I recently found one in an antique shop for $6. Believe it or not - there's a discussion board where guys who obsess about shaving gather: http://badgerandblade.com

About 3 years ago I got tired of the price of throw away razors and their lack of quality. So, bought a safety razor on ebay [[not the ones sold as antiques) and a package of 100 blades. Have never been happier since the switch. Regular cheap skate shaving cream still does the trick

Dollar Tree has razors. $1 for a ten pack.

I finally got a 1950s Gillette from an antique shop and some blades from Meijer's, what the heck I'd try it out!

I like using it. The razor is nice, its weight and smoothness of the shave is pleasant. Feels good to use a old fashioned razor!
    I'm never going back to the modern razors. The double edged razor will pay for itself many times over with my savings on blades.

just discovered a shaving shop at Somerset of all places... it's called The Art of Shaving and its on the 'expensive side' just outside of the pedestrian bridge. A bit pricey but they do have safety and traditional razors for sale there, as well as safety refills... Also you can get a shave... for a clean $35. That's somerset for ya... but not a bad place to get a razor you'll never throw away in your life.

Downtown Guest

ZMC Pharmacy in Royal Oak http://zmcroyaloak.com/pharmacy/index.html carries a good selection of razors, lotions, soaps and brushes.

Support your local, independent retailers.