Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "In my Time", by Dick Cheney

I have to chuckle at all the appearances former VP Dick Cheney is making on the news channels, be it Fox, CNN, or MSNBC [[there's a variety of political angles for y'all!!) I presume he's appearing to push his book, "In my Time". However, all the times I've watched an interview, he strikes me as a doddering old man who really doesn't know what time it is. And why he's pushing book sales when he has more money than he could ever spend in the rest of his life puzzles me.

That said, let me remind all that I'm a conservative Republican, altho somewhat a middle-of-the-roader. But Cheney always struck me as strange, if not dangerous.

Cheney knocks Colin Powell pretty well for Powell questioning the "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq prior to the war. Far as I'm concerned, it was a darn good question. Oh, we're better off without Saddam in this world, but I don't know if the cost to the US was anywhere near worth it.

Anyway, I wanted my liberal friends in this forum to know that I wouldn't buy Cheney's book if it was offered at a 90% discount. And I sure as hell ain't gonna go duck hunting with that yahoo, either.

he is the true definition of a shithead

Yup, I wonder if his hunting pal had given Cheney a "creeteeque" from an advance copy of his memoirs before Cheney mistook him for a sitting duck...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    he is the true definition of a shithead
    Whoa Patrick, I dont think real shitheads would appreciate being compared to him.

By you being a conservative thats why you should buy and read the book. For a man one heartbeat away from the presidency, you need to know if Cheney truly represented your values as a conservative or was he just a right wing kook.

One thing that bothered me was how he was so critical of the only two blacks in the Bush administration Condi Rice and Powell. Makes me wonder if there weren't other issues at play.

Steve bennet Guest

Being a conservative would actually be a reason to dislike Cheney, but you say it as if you're expected to side with the man. What gives?

"Conservative" used to mean cautious. Now it means reckless. What's with that 180° turn anyway?
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-01-11 at 08:48 PM. Reason: bolded "that"

The neocons deliberately drove us into this ditch. Their GOP obstructionists are desperately holding us down there.
    Ask yourself: Why has the formerly once-so-popular "neocon" term so neatly vanished from the national vocabulary? Was it out of shame? No. They have no shame. Shamelessness is a big part of the problem.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-01-11 at 11:43 PM.

Read a wonderful review on the automotive blog Jalopnik yesterday about the new Cheney book.

Imagine if the Harry Potter books had been written from Lord Voldemort's point of view, and you'll have the general spirit of former Vice President Richard Cheney's new memoir, in which Cheney reveals he would have let General Motors and presumably Chrysler collapse and die in 2008 rather than tiding them over with government money until President Barack Obama could inherit the mess. Despite projections of thousands of lost jobs, "I would have preferred that the government not get involved," Cheney wrote according to The Detroit News. For a guy who doesn't have a heartbeat, Cheney sure doesn't seem to care about the company that built the first mechanical replacement for people with dead lumps in their chests.

Hahaha!!

"Conservative" means strong law-and-order views, yet at the same time strongly endorses the philosophy of "the less government, the better". I guess that clashes somewhat. But that's me.

I intended to write of my ardent support for Dick Cheney but then I saw the news.
    Obama made Par today [[a bit of golf lingo) reaching 0 [[Zero) jobs for August before his big speech [[yet again) and before the figure is revised down in a couple of months time. So President Zero is going to tell us how to waste more of our money to devise more of his non-jobs in an attempt to keep his own and to tell us it's not his fault. [[Note to self - must look into this new math where job totals go up,down, altered later; but still has zero effect on percentages - it's magic).
    Last edited by coracle; September-02-11 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I intended to write of my ardent support for Dick Cheney but then I saw the news.
    Obama made Par today [[a bit of golf lingo) reaching 0 [[Zero) jobs for August before his big speech [[yet again) and before the figure is revised down in a couple of months time. So President Zero is going to tell us how to waste more of our money to devise more of his non-jobs in an attempt to keep his own and to tell us it's not his fault. [[Note to self - must look into this new math where job totals go up,down, altered later; but still has zero effect on percentages - it's magic).
    President zero as you say has to contend with the boy genius bankers who will end up getting richer fucking up the United States. These guys dont suffer, the million or so people who are losing their homes as we speak are the vicitms of the shamelessness Jimaz speaks of.

,,, that and it's also easier to change the subject than to backup any viable reason for supporting Cheney....

Coracle isn't nearly as funny as Craigd, Steelers or CCbatson.

Don't change the subject. We were talking about Cheney.

He should be in the Hague writing a book called "Doing My Time".

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Don't change the subject. We were talking about Cheney.

I think it's a great idea to publish your photograph with your comment WH. It will add real personality to our future exchanges. i would never have guessed just how handsome you are. Is that the latest European look?
    Last edited by coracle; September-03-11 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Coracle isn't nearly as funny as Craigd, Steelers or CCbatson.
    Just for the record who are these guys? and who are you?
    Last edited by coracle; September-03-11 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ,,, that and it's also easier to change the subject than to backup any viable reason for supporting Cheney....
    I don't need a viable reason to support Dick. If i needed one, he isn't a Democrat, and that would be reason enough for me.

Steve bennet Guest

I don't need a viable reason to support Dick. If i needed one, he isn't a Democrat, and that would be reason enough for me.
    Seeing and Democrats and Republicans are the same thing, why would that matter?

Somebody needs to waterboard Cheney. Never could understand how someone who was too terrified to serve in the military himself[[in his own words, he had better things to do) had no problem sending other's off to fight for him. He is the definition of a coward.

Well that was an easy answer... requiring little or no thought... sounds more like a Fox News sound bite to me....

Its seems that as VP, Cheney had too much influence within the Bush administration, so much so it makes you wonder if he wasn't calling the shots. I don't see the same with Biden with the current administration.

I wonder if Wikileaks finds something intersting concerning this man.

The case of the fictitious fallguy:

Court case reveals details of secret [rendition] flights
    Every time the Gulfstream and other planes in Richmor’s fleet took to the air, they carried one-page transit documents on State Department letterhead. The notices, known as “letters of public convenience,” were addressed “to whom it may concern,” stating that the jets should be treated as official flights and that “accompanying personnel are under contract with the U.S. government.”...

The notes, signed by a State Department administrative assistant, Terry A. Hogan, described the planes’ travels as “global support for U.S. embassies worldwide.”

The AP could not locate Terry Hogan. No official with that name is currently listed in State’s department-wide directory. A comprehensive 2004 State Department telephone directory contains no reference to Terry Hogan, or variations of that name — despite records of four separate transit letters signed by Terry A. Hogan in January, March and April 2004. Several of the signatures on the diplomatic letters under Terry Hogan’s name were noticeably different....
    They knew damned well they were operating illegally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast