Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Presidential Visit [to Detroit] Monday, Sept. 5

Quick question for the board:

I'm flying out of DTW on Monday and wanted to know if anyone has insight from the past regarding whether Air Force One typically flies into DTW or into Selfridge when the President is visiting downtown.

I know I've seen Air Force One at DTW before, but not sure where the President was when he was flying into the public airport.

Looking to avoid/minimize delays/hassles on Monday.

Any info would be much appreciated.

i don't know about typically and i'm sure they alternate between the two airports for security, but i know selfridge can handle air force one and has landed there in the past. [i met clinton there while he was in office and landed there.]

I don't think you'll have any problems, other than they close down 94 and the ramps for a short time for the motorcade. Wouldn't hurt to allow a little extra time.

According to the White House, he will be flying into DTW. The parade starts at 9:30 AM and he is only speaking at the conclusion of the parade, not walking in it. He will be speaking at a rally next to the GM HQ, which begins at 1:15 PM.
    Last edited by Mikeg; September-01-11 at 02:39 PM.

Almost always DTW. Delays will be minimal; operations are usually suspended for a few minutes during takeoff and landing. AF1 parks at the far southeast corner of the airport and the motorcade uses an entrance along Middlebelt Road. Operations continue while he's on the field, at least on the western side of the airport, until they start to taxi. You're more likely to be held up by the motorcade than AF1.

MojoRacer Guest

OHBAMA in DETROIT! Priceless!

I saw a USAF C-17 making the approach into DTW this morning. I am sure it is part of the advance team for the Presidents visit.

That explains why Marine One was circling Downtown earlier today.

Default Doesn't anyone here care that the President is visiting Detroit?

Unless I'm totally blind, there doesn't seem to be any discussion here about the Obama visit/speech. Come on folks - what would you like to hear him say today?

Too many Obama haters I guess, even though we all know who the real culprits are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Unless I'm totally blind, there doesn't seem to be any discussion here about the Obama visit/speech. Come on folks - what would you like to hear him say today?
    You must have missed this thread, which was asking about when Obama's entourage would be arriving so that any potential travel delays could be avoided.

Maureen Dowd makes a few pithy observations in her Sept. 3rd NYT op-ed column titled "One and Done?":

• As James Carville acerbically noted, given a choice between watching an Obama speech and a G.O.P. debate, “I’d watch the debate, and I’m not even a Republican.”
    • No. 2 on David Letterman’s Top Ten List of the president’s plans for Labor Day: “Pretty much whatever the Republicans tell him he can do.”
    • The days of spinning illusions in a Greek temple in a football stadium are done. The One is dancing on the edge of one term.

In the epicenter of this economic depression?

Oops, guess not, he's going to be downtown.

And the fact that he's done everything opposite of what his supporters wanted it?

Not really.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-05-11 at 10:17 AM.

Unfortunately he will addressing the 17% of workers in Michigan that are represented by unions. Not the other 83% that do not really count.

He's gone to the well with the "I saved the auto industry and all you good people's jobs" one too many times. And yet, here he is to do it once again. Ironically in a parking lot that should have been developed long ago but for a whole lotta reasons sits barren.

I would love to go and see our President, but I couldn't deal with the logistics. Standing out in a parking lot with no seats and no water for hours doesn't make me want to jump out there. Guess I've gotten too lazy. Besides, I'm afraid to see him make some more right turns.

I really hope he makes me wish I had been there. GOBAMA!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Come on folks - what would you like to hear him say today?

as of 12:00 pm today, I have fired the vice-president and have resigned my position as POTUS, have a good day and I will see you on the golf course.....

I expect to hear a preview of his jobs speech later in the week. And yes, he needs to continue to speak on the auto bailouts. People need to be reminded over and over that the Repub contenders for Pres didn't want the auto bailouts to happen, that the GOP folks felt the transplant companies in the South needed more support for their operations than the traditional US companies here in the Midwest.

The admininstration handled the bailouts smartly, requiring accountability from the companies and not just throwing good money after bad. So yes, this was a win for the administration, the companies, the workers and the region and because people have such short memories they need to hear it again and again.

I think he needs to emphasize that the bailout saved many many thousands of jobs, not just at the auto plants but the suppliers, dealers, not to mention retail and restaurants in areas with large numbers of auto workers. I keep hearing the GOP shout that Obama has created NO jobs. Not true, and he needs to keep showing the truth.

I would love to go and see our President, but I couldn't deal with the
    logistics. Standing out in a parking lot with no seats and no water for hours
    doesn't make me want to jump out there. Guess I've gotten too lazy. Besides,
    I'm afraid to see him make some more right turns.

I really hope he makes
    me wish I had been there. GOBAMA!
    How do you think I feel whenever he wants to grab a burger or dinner in my neighborhood? The Secret Service, the choppers, the cops and the barricades all so he can grab a Hellburger.

I'd much rather see and listen to Michelle Obama.

Why the hell does he sound so southern? Is he purposefully trying to sound more "blue collar" while speaking in Detroit, or is Washington, D.C. rubbing off on him?

If he's doing it on purpose, he should have realized that this is northern state, and nobody speaks with a southern drawl.

It was a good speech. I don't believe a word of it, but it was a good speech. Ghana of local 909 was wonderful, good for you Ghana!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Why the hell does he sound so southern? Is he purposefully trying to sound more "blue collar" while speaking in Detroit, or is Washington, D.C. rubbing off on him?

If he's doing it on purpose, he should have realized that this is northern state, and nobody speaks with a southern drawl.
    Maybe he sounds Southern because he lived on the southside of Chicago.

Steve bennet Guest

I speak for myself, but I don't care that the President is here. The man, like every president, is just a puppet anyways. Next.

It looks like there was a good crowd there. I'm glad for that. As for the message, let's see:

I'm going to tell you about this fabulous jobs plan on Thursday night.
    I will stand up for collective bargaining as long as I'm President.
    Congress needs to step up to the challenge.
    Restore the middle class.

It all needed saying but somehow, it feels a bit flat to me. Maybe if I had been there it would have seemed more substantial.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast