Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WXYZ dropped Retro TV?

It seems that Ch 7 dropped its affiliation with RTV, according to their website and list of affiliates.

That's not good, I miss Simon & Simon, Knight Rider and the Hardy Boys. No reality TV for me!!

If you have a nice antenna, you may be able to pick it up on WNWO-DT2, channel 24.2 broadcast from Toledo. Check out tvfool.com and input your address to see if it is possible.

I'll miss Off Beat Cinema and the Alfred Hitchcock Presents shows. There's always THIS tho'.

I think they got a free feed on Free to Air Satellite. For a few hundred dollars with a 30 inch Dish and a basic Free to Air Satellite receiver you should be able to pick it up.

I noticed their station that shows the weather is gone too. I believe it was 7.3.

It switched over to "LWN" a week or two ago. It's a "lifestyle" network - meaning more cooking and travel shows. The Rick Bayless cooking show is actually pretty good.

Claude, any more info you could provide about FTA? Is it like a sattelite dish functioning as a regular antenna?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Claude, any more info you could provide about FTA? Is it like a sattelite dish functioning as a regular antenna?

Stromberg2
    It's using a satellite dish to pick up unencrypted satellite signals that are thus, free.

There are many unencrypted channels in the US: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I noticed their station that shows the weather is gone too. I believe it was 7.3.
    That switched to mobile tv over a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I think they got a free feed on Free to Air Satellite. For a few hundred dollars with a 30 inch Dish and a basic Free to Air Satellite receiver you should be able to pick it up.
    That was something I was checking into a few years ago. Does anybody on this forum [[Detroit area) use this at all? Do you point the dish once and forget about it? I've been without cable for three years, and would like a little more variety.

Satelliteguys.us is an excellent source of information.

There are a few good channels on FTA satellite, but its no replacement from Cable. Mostly international channels and a few clear feeds of the local networks.

I remember several years ago Wood TV which is the ABC affiliate out of Grand Rapids had an un-encrypted feed up on one of the satellites. I remember I had a really goofy setup back then, where I remodulated the signal back out of the receiver on its actual broadcast channel, and ran it into my TIVO just to record Star Trek Voyager every night,

The thing about FTA, is that its there one day and gone the next.

I lost intrest in the FTA stuff when people figured out how to hack the boxes and illegally receive encrypted programming. I was never into stealing, and with the number of people hacking, us good ligit guys where very few in numbers.
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; August-31-11 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    That was something I was checking into a few years ago. Does anybody on this forum [[Detroit area) use this at all? Do you point the dish once and forget about it? I've been without cable for three years, and would like a little more variety.
    I have been a free to air viewer 8 years. Totally love it. You buy a 30 inch dish and receiver for the basic set up. If you want deluxe you buy the set up with the SG2100 motor.

What the system does is receive the actual transmissions off the satellites themselves. Totally legal, requires no subscription. My set up cost $300 in the day but they are cheaper now. Just search free to air satellite and you'll find different companies. The cheapest price comes from Sadoun.com

You legally receive every unscrambled channel. With the motor you receive off every satellite within your view. I receive 538 channels, about 180 are English speaking. You can watch channels from every country you can imagine live as if your in your living room living over there.

You can also receive signals from live remote satellite trucks. I have watched some strange live feeds when they think only their TV station control room is watching them.

I cut the cord 5 years ago because I got tired of paying a small fortune for reality shows, infomercials, reruns and 21 minutes of commercials every hour. Have been totally entertained by OTA and FTA

The channels received are the same no matter where you live in the country. If you want more information feel free to email me.

Wow, I'd like to see some Finnish programming.

Stromberg2

These guys might know something:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453486

Or they might not.

I lost intrest in the FTA stuff when people figured out how to hack the boxes and illegally receive encrypted programming. I was never into stealing, and with the number of people hacking, us good ligit guys where very few in numbers.
    That's why I lost interest while searching for info a few years ago. But if it is legit, and the paid programming police don't kick down my door - then I might be into it. I mean, I'll be watching their commercials they were paid for anyways. Why do I have to pay a huge monthly fee on top of that?

Coming to Detroit in October, Antenna TV.
    http://www.antennatv.tv/shows/

Ed - any idea what channel that would be on? No info on the site. I get 20,38,50, 56,62,4,and 7.