Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Remembering 9/11 Ten Year Anniversary

Wondering if anyone watched the 9/11 Re-building special uninterrupted on the Science Channel last night. I haven't been following the developement of the "new" twin towers in NY but this was a great special. The new building is 1776 feet high in reference to the year 1776 and the Declaration of Independance. Unfortuantely however "safe" they make this new building I wouldn't want to be in an office THAT high off the ground. The George Bush - 9/11 interview was on after that but I didn't catch it.

http://www.wtc.com/ Official Site

By Joe Torres | August 24, 2011
    7Online.com
    You can see it on the skyline, but now take a look inside the massive construction project at Ground Zero.

Nearly 10 years after the terror attacks and the vision a new Lower Manhattan skyline is taking shape.
    "Today for the first time since 9/11, every part of the World Trade Center is under construction," said Larry Silverstein, developer. Tower 1 already soars 80-stories high. Construction on tower 3, which is scheduled for completion in 2015, has reached ground level.
    "If you look at the building now you can see the size and heft of some of these concrete walls that surround the court. That is a unique safety feature of these buildings. These buildings are built like no other buildings in the Unites States," said Janno Lieber, World Trade Center Project Developer

My wife and I will be in Frankenmuth, MI on the 9/11 Ten Year Anniversary.

The Michigan's Own Military & Space Museum in Frankenmuth is holding their 10th annual Patriot's Day Program on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM on the Museum grounds. The keynote speaker will be Brig. General David M. Hall, USAF [[Ret.) of Saginaw, Michigan. The Museum will hold an "open house" with free admission immediately following the conclusion of the program.

Unfortuantely however "safe" they make this new building I wouldn't want to be in an office THAT high off the ground
    Me neither. Personally, I think they should have just had a memorial at the site and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Me neither. Personally, I think they should have just had a memorial at the site and nothing else.
    I've thought that since right after 9/11. If that building gets finished, I'd not be surprised to see the wackos target it again.

I understand your thoughts, but I disagree. If we don't rebuild, they win. I say build it bigger, better, and taller. And I'll take a penthouse office, no problem. We've been doing a pretty good job of taking out Al Queda lately. There will always be wacko terrorists, but the only way to fight terror is with a bigger and stronger terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I understand your thoughts, but I disagree. If we don't rebuild, they win. I say build it bigger, better, and taller. And I'll take a penthouse office, no problem. We've been doing a pretty good job of taking out Al Queda lately. There will always be wacko terrorists, but the only way to fight terror is with a bigger and stronger terror.
    Even without new ugly buildings the terrorists "won". 10 years of war bankrupting the country, the Patriot act. etc.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Even without new ugly buildings the terrorists "won". 10 years of war bankrupting the country, the Patriot act. etc.
    I could not agree more.
    The very things that terrorism is meant to achieve-- disruption of socio-economic stability and the inducing of a pervasive sense of insecurity-- were accomplished almost instantly.
    Building a replacement may be a dandy show of stubborn defiance, but I attach no sense of victory to it.

Steve bennet Guest

Lower Manhattan is prime real estate. Why would you not rebuild? That would be stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Lower Manhattan is prime real estate. Why would you not rebuild? That would be stupidity.
    Yeah. Let's also build a hundred or so skyscrapers in Central Park. Prime real estate.

Sorry. The WTC site should have been left an open area; a breather in all that steel and masonry.

The Salvation Army and other organizations are behind a viral movement to fill the night of 9/11 with sky lanterns.

http://www.usc.salvationarmy.org/usc...8?opendocument

If you are interested, the local Chevy Dealers have a trove of these sky lanterns. A five dollar donation will get you one.

I hope they don't start any fires. That would be embarrassing.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yeah. Let's also build a hundred or so skyscrapers in Central Park. Prime real estate.

Sorry. The WTC site should have been left an open area; a breather in all that steel and masonry.
    Central Park isn't prime real estate because it's a park. It's not for sale.

The WTC site was never a park. It's large piece of land. Nobody benefits if it is not developed. The buildings should be rebuilt.

They are already keeping the original footprints of the towers as a memorial, so I don't know why people are complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Understandable, but when it comes to emotions vs real estate, you know what's going to win when the demand is there. The site of the memorial is quite large, and I think the bigger it gets the less meaning it has. It needs to have a delicate balance between monumentalism and intimacy of a public space for thought.

I think the presence of the towers at least shows a visual recovery. It may give some closure to people, but I can't say for sure for how many people it will. And to be honest, as someone who has never lived in NYC or lost any family and friends to the tragedy I have no right to make suggestions or vocalize any sort of criticisms publicly.

All i can say is I'm pleased so much has been done and look forward to completion and visiting an opened plaza in person. Since my visit to the site 2 months ago, a lot of progress has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I hope they don't start any fires. That would be embarrassing.
    I sent one of those off one night, and that was exactly what I thought as soon as it was out of reach.

More than 90% of all terrorism is due to occupation. We were attacked on 9/11 because we have boots on the ground in Saudi Arabia near Mecca. Its true that we've been greatly effected economically. But we have not been defeated and we still have troops there. The best way to stop terrorism is to get our troops out of these countries. We can patrol those places with aircraft carriers from international waters and can strike in minutes so no reason to be there with infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Central Park isn't prime real estate because it's a park. It's not for sale.
    I fear you missed my touch of sarcasm, Steve. That's all.

You Tube has the documentary by the Naudet brothers that followed fire fighters responding to the attacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVM_-rfhjcQ

Thanks, Pam. Watched the whole thing. I wouldn't have seen it if not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks, Pam. Watched the whole thing. I wouldn't have seen it if not for you.
    You're welcome. I watched it too. I had only seen small parts of it before. Another good one is The Falling Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU

I think it's more disturbing than the fire fighters one actually.

Seems that post[[?)-great recession that Americans shouldn't confuse the WTC with the Statue of Liberty.

In one of the more bizarre ways to memorialize the WTC tragedy... an acquaintance in the D.C. area created this model out of LEGO....

http://www.nuffy.net/misc/pics/attac...ecreation.html

It even made people at the WAMALUG [[Washington/Maryland LEGO User Group) Convention pause and reflect....

The New York Times just posted 114 never heard off audio fragments of the communication between the aircraft and the tower of Boston and other communications from the FAA, the militairy etc.

A nightmare in the making.

Very moving stuff. But kudos to those people who remained cool under these stressful situation.

I wonder if the RenCen is going to display the numbers 911 on it's screen on Sunday. It would be nice is a rememberance to that day

Anyway, I dont know about you guys but that day and the three following days for me were the most numbing days of my life. And before any news commentator said anything about it, I said to my wife something I must have heard a thousand times since then; Our world has changed, nothing will ever be the same. I knew that this was such a blow to the US, and I thought right away of how the wrath could be insane. I think that this event and all the kooky stuff like Cheney's Halliburton domain in Irak and the present crisis plus the national debt has weakened the country in an awful way. All this set against the backdrop of India, China and other giant countries may have a sobering effect on the States, but I am wary of all the tensions that could propel us into another world conflict. It only takes afew fingers on a couple of buttons at that level you know. No need for a dirty bomb plot in Pakistan, just a hot tempered moment at a time of economic duress between two massive nation states the old fashioned way...