Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Intersection of Trumbull Grand River MLK

Getting sick of the flashing red lights at this intersection last few days. I bet there is going to be a serious accident of one has not happened already

complaining about flashing red lights ?
    I wish there were more flashing red lights.
    Stop look and proceed. Beats stop and wait.

Last weekend on Saturday and Sunday the light at either 6 Mile or 7 Mile and Telegraph was flashing red. It was really dangerous.

Autoracks, the intersection consists of three streets all three or four lanes with people turning in every direction. At normal intersections flashing reds are fine by me

i see your point

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    complaining about flashing red lights ?
    I wish there were more flashing red lights.
    Stop look and proceed. Beats stop and wait.
    In Detroit, I have found flashing red just means "motor on through" without stopping more often than not. In short, this intersection is fucked.

Thats gott be the longest light in Detroit usually. I most often skip it using the Michigan left turn arounds and side streets to avoid it.

Havent been through there the past few days. Flashing red at that light must make for some interesting traffic..

DetroitPole Guest

The flashing reds happened for a while at other very inappropriate locations, such as Alter and Warren and Warren and I-375.

Police don't respond to burglar alarms, the fire department is going to let vacant buildings burn down, the traffic signals don't work, PLD buildings have rolling blackouts[[Belle Isle was out on Saturday, and remember earlier this summer?), the traffic lights don't work [[to say nothing of the streetlights), God knows DTE could give a shit less for their part either...

Detroit has essentially descended into anarchy. Honestly, this has never really happened on this scale before. Services haven't been adequate in quite some time, but now even the basic functions of a civilized society are totally absent or too spotty to be dependable. There is no way Detroit could ever recover coming from a place like this. It's over, man. We might as well just scrap the whole place, or the fire department could just watch it all burn down.

This intersection is so awkward because MLK was stitched together from a series of other crosstown streets and the product interfaces with the previously existing grid especially poorly there.

I've long felt this intersection should be remade as a rotary.

Steve bennet Guest

How about they put some flashing red lights downtown at night? Nothing more annoying than just sitting there when there is nobody on the streets. With my luck, I'm not blowing through them.

noticed this today

if detroit is over, the whole word is

That is a bad intersection for a flashing red. It needs a full on red, yellow and green. Same thing at one of the Telegraph intersections in Dearborn... Warren I think. Very dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Last weekend on Saturday and Sunday the light at either 6 Mile or 7 Mile and Telegraph was flashing red. It was really dangerous.

Oye, all is doom... sometimes it feels that way, but I was at the Kem free concert today at Cass park and it was great. No fights, gun fire or what all. Nice weather, cool event. Perhaps there is hope................
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    The flashing reds happened for a while at other very inappropriate locations, such as Alter and Warren and Warren and I-375.

Police don't respond to burglar alarms, the fire department is going to let vacant buildings burn down, the traffic signals don't work, PLD buildings have rolling blackouts[[Belle Isle was out on Saturday, and remember earlier this summer?), the traffic lights don't work [[to say nothing of the streetlights), God knows DTE could give a shit less for their part either...

Detroit has essentially descended into anarchy. Honestly, this has never really happened on this scale before. Services haven't been adequate in quite some time, but now even the basic functions of a civilized society are totally absent or too spotty to be dependable. There is no way Detroit could ever recover coming from a place like this. It's over, man. We might as well just scrap the whole place, or the fire department could just watch it all burn down.

I recall the stupid length of that light taking children to Pelham Jr. High years ago. Joy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Thats gott be the longest light in Detroit usually. I most often skip it using the Michigan left turn arounds and side streets to avoid it.

Havent been through there the past few days. Flashing red at that light must make for some interesting traffic..

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    It has plenty of competition.

Two others that come to mind are Mack/Outer Drive and Moross/Harper. 6 Mile/Gratiot can be pretty long too depending on the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph C. Krause View Post
    This intersection is so awkward because MLK was stitched together from a series of other crosstown streets and the product interfaces with the previously existing grid especially poorly there.

Great Idea , there are a lot of places in the city that would benefit from that...But I can say MLK/GR/Trumbull would be at the top of my list as well.

if light rail were constructed on grand river, how would this affect the space there...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    if light rail were constructed on grand river, how would this affect the space there...
    It would alter almost nothing. Grand River is the widest street in that intersection and the stop at Trumbull would probably be west of the intersection.

Hell yeah on a rotary there. That would make so much sense. How do trains and rotaries mix though?

Found an example via Wikipedia in Salt Lake City of Light Rail + Rotary. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Guards...src=6&t=h&z=20

Here's a list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundab...uts_with_trams
    Last edited by laphoque; August-29-11 at 01:06 PM.

Those of us who live by that intersection have had to figure out all kinds of creative ways to avoid it. At night it's not really a problem, even if the lights are blinking red, as long as you LOOK FIRST before you pull out [[that reduces accidents, I know it's hard to believe). But from morn till eve when traffic is it's thickest there's this trepidation that you will get T-boned, so unless your making a right turn that doesn't force you to cross one of those busy roads, it's best to just avoid it if you can.

Happy to report that the light was normal tonight-no longer flashing red. I usually avoid that light too because of the long wait when red, but for some reason I occasionally decide to go through.

Thought I'd share the good news. Wonder if any accidents did happen during those few days.

Ravine Guest

QUOTE=hogz;269283]Happy to report that the light was normal tonight-no longer flashing red. I usually avoid that light too because of the long wait when red, but for some reason I occasionally decide to go through.

Thought I'd share the good news. Wonder if any accidents did happen during those few days.[/QUOTE]

You & Autoracks set a good example of how to resolve a disagreement in an internet forum.

I'm at that intersection all of the time.
    Naturally, anyone who fully eyeballs the entire area, and proceeds cautiously, will be safe, but even with normal lights, it's tricky; making a right from Grand River onto Trumbull [[in the direction of the river,) it is easy to not immediately realize that the west-bound lanes of MLK appear, in one's path, almost immediately.
    I am familiar with the damned spot, and even I have had moments when, having made that right too casually, I realized that I had dopily stuck the nose of my car almost into the path of traffic.
    Coming away from the river, on Trumbull, the damned light at MLK really does hold on red for what feels like a full four minutes.

Ravine Guest

Hogz, you & Autoracks set a good example of how to resolve a disagreement in an internet forum.

I'm at that intersection all of the time.
    Naturally, anyone who fully eyeballs the entire area, and proceeds cautiously, will be safe, but even with normal lights, it's tricky; making a right from Grand River onto Trumbull [[in the direction of the river,) it is easy to not immediately realize that the west-bound lanes of MLK appear, in one's path, almost immediately.
    I am familiar with the damned spot, and even I have had moments when, having made that right too casually, I realized that I had dopily stuck the nose of my car almost into the path of traffic.
    Coming away from the river, on Trumbull, the damned light at MLK really does hold on red for what feels like a full four minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph C. Krause View Post
    Amen! This is the worst intersection in the city and blinking red lights are hardly a solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast