Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default re Verlander: On what date did Denny McClain win his 20th in '68?...

Having gone 31-5 [[6?) in '68, McLain must have won his 20th in early August, aye?

Believe it or not, July 27th. 9-0 shutout against the Orioles, raising his record to 20-3. That's so good it's criminal.

I'm looking here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&t=p&year=1968

and it looks like July 16th versus Oakland was his 20th win.

Or did I miss something?

criminal is right and the last guy to win 30

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm looking here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&t=p&year=1968

and it looks like July 16th versus Oakland was his 20th win.

Or did I miss something?
    I believe you're looking at team wins. Look in the "Dec" column which stands for McLain's decisions.

bartock Guest

JV did it in his 29th start. McClain did it in his 26th start.

DM had a big advantage with the higher pitchers mound. I believed they lowered it the next season.

That 31 is going to be a hard number to top for anyone. Even with the great season that JV is having he'll still be 4 and more likely 5 short is he wins out.
    Last edited by rjk; August-29-11 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    DM had a big advantage with the higher pitchers mound. I believed they lowered it the next season.

That 31 is going to be a hard number to top for anyone. Even with the great season that JV is having he'll still be 4 and more likely 5 short is he wins out.
    With 5 man rotations standard now, I'd say 25 is the new 30. Verlander would have to win 5 of his last 6 starts to reach 25 and then he might get some serious MVP consideration. However the sooner the Tigers clinch, the sooner he starts to get extra rest.
    Verlander looks strong as an ox and has a very smooth delivery. Just the opposite of Weaver who looks like a shoulder injury waiting to happen.

Pitchers mound was how much higher in the '60s, three to six inches? McClain won 24 in '69. I suggest that having a good defensive team in the field is far more important than pitcher's mound height.

After McClain's half season suspension in 1970, his career at age 26 was pretty much toast. My guess is that harder throwing pitchers and stress producing sliders cut back on complete games.

I looked at Strasberg of Washington contorted delivery last year and wondered how long his arm would last.

You had to love how McClain kicked straight to heaven and threw BBs. How he strutted and peaked his cap. Man o man, that guy had style.

Too bad he was/is a full time asshole. I wish nothing but the worse for that dog diddling, pension robbing, coke selling glory hole sniffer.

Anyone remember Mclain's radio show on WXYT?
    What was funny was how he always sided with the little guy.
    Siding with the little guy unless of course he could be the one screwing over the little guy.

Great personality for radio/tv, but yeah, an absolute a-hole of a person.
    Last edited by rjk; August-31-11 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Pitchers mound was how much higher in the '60s, three to six inches? McClain won 24 in '69. I suggest that having a good defensive team in the field is far more important than pitcher's mound height.

After McClain's half season suspension in 1970, his career at age 26 was pretty much toast. My guess is that harder throwing pitchers and stress producing sliders cut back on complete games.

I looked at Strasberg of Washington contorted delivery last year and wondered how long his arm would last.
    If I remember correctly, the pitching mound was lowered from 15 to 10 inches in 1969. It was part of a move to bring more offense to the game, after McLain's 31 win season, Gibson's astounding low ERA season [[1.60?) and Yaz' .301 batting title. The DH in the AL wasn't too far in the future either.

Did anyone consider how many complete games McClain pitched versus Verlander. With set up guys and then closers I don't think guys now days put as much strain on their arms as back in the McClain.days

As for McClain if he wasn't such a a-hole he would be on sports talk radio today. He was very good.

I believe XYT even did a trial balloon a few years back for him. However people are not ready too forgive him for what he did. Especially in Michigan he may never get full forgiveness for his actions.

Ravine Guest

Bob Gibson, 1968 ERA: a breath-taking 1.12

Gibson's 1968 ERA was all the more amazing when you consider that he lost 9 games that year.