Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone speak Polish?

I had a relative who use to occasionally say the following:

Yanni co hanni

That's the best I can do as far as how it sounded if it were spelled in English.

Anyone know what that translates to in English? Thanks for any help.

Thanks.

My grandmother use to say that every once in while followed by a sigh.
    We always thought it had some kind of a religious meaning in reference to my mother who died at a young age. Now I know for sure.
    I talked to my brother recently about this, now I can pass along the info.

I never learned to speak or spell Polish, but I grew up with a Polish grandmother and a Lithuanian grandfather, and they did frequently say that phrase [[usually in a fit of exasperation over something I had just done. ) The way they pronounced it sounded to my ears like "aw-YUZzus-ko-HON-ee" [[with the HON syllable rhyming with "on.") And yes, they did tell me it meant "Dear Jesus."

Other expressions I remember them using [[and again these are my best phonetic attempts, as I have no idea how to spell proper Polish) were "fi-YECK-a" meaning the stove, "pa-TELK-a" to mean a pot, "DUB-ree" or "NYEE-dub-ree" for "good" or "not good." And I'm sure given time I could think of a lot more. Unfortunately, they've both been gone for quite a while now so it's been a long time since I've heard those expressions.
    Last edited by EMG; May-29-09 at 11:23 PM.

The woman Im dating is from Senegal, speaks French, English, Woloff and Polish which she learned attending Univeristy in Poland. Ive heard her speak Polish on the phone. Some must have an aptitude for picking up languages.

I know how to ask for a kiss... [[dom-mee boo-GEE) and say thank you when I get one [[gen-coo-YEAH). Try it, if you slapped you'll know you said it wrong.
    Last edited by rajdet; May-30-09 at 02:38 PM.

There is one word that sounds like 'shakreef' and I think it means dog's blood, and another that sounds like 'holeta' but I don't know what it means except my friend got slapped for using it when we were kids.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
    "Give me" is more accurately "Dye-mee."

In Polish it's "Daj mi," and the 'j' after 'a' gives it the long 'i' sound.
    So that's why I never got on base.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    There is one word that sounds like 'shakreef' and I think it means dog's blood, and another that sounds like 'holeta' but I don't know what it means except my friend got slapped for using it when we were kids.
    Any ideas?

Loosely translated, it's dog's blood and cholera, spelled, I think psiakrew cholera.

Pronounced shah kref Ko le ra... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Loosely translated, it's dog's blood and cholera, spelled, I think psiakrew cholera.

Pronounced shah kref Ko le ra... right?
    Yep, that sounds just about right. Thanks

Off topic, but Polish related.
    Did anyone see the segment that Anthony Bourdain [[No Reservations) did on "Polonia?"
    It was suppose to be on in May. At least that's what was stated last January/February.

RJK

Head down to Hamtramck and go to some of the stores. Bozeks on Caniff; Stans grocery on Jos Campau, Polish Market, many of the employees I believe immigrated from Poland and have quite the heavy accent. Just dont Daji Mnie Boozi with those cute young Pannis.

^ I'm eating a New Palace Bakery paczki [[strawberry) as I type.

I love shopping at that stores on JC. Great food and really nice people.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    The woman Im dating is from Senegal...
    Cross post to things you expect to hear.

I married into a Polish family, and I used to hear these phrases all the time. Not so much anymore as the elders walk on. Yokshemosh, never found out about this one. Probably something rude, since I've heard it in combination with a nasty anatomical thing to call somebody. Smochne, that means something tastes good, I think. Oh, yes, bigos, for any meat dish where the meat is cooked with vegetables or sauerkraut.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Yokshemosh, never found out about this one. Probably something rude, since I've heard it in combination with a nasty anatomical thing to call somebody.
    I worked with several Polish people and it was my understanding that "yokshemosh pa'nie" - meant something like "how are you doing little one" - don't know how true that is?

I think "yokshemosh" does mean "how are you."

Great to find that out finally. I just told the non-Polish-speaking Polish husband, and he was surprised. So, does "Jak si masz, dupayasz " mean what I think?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    dupayasz
    I forgot all about that word!

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    I forgot all about that word!
    So just what does it mean?

dupayasz
    I think it means "dumb ass."

Pam
    Dumb ass is quite correct.

The "dog's blood" reference would translate to "son of a bitch"

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Pam
    Dumb ass is quite correct.

The "dog's blood" reference would translate to "son of a bitch"
    The SOB word is actually sukinsynu according to Google translation.

I've always been told that dupyasz means literally ass John, could be wrong.

Let's open the floodgates a little bit... visit this forum. A great aid for those travelling to Poland, or even Hamtramck or Sterling Heights at Polish Market!
    http://www.polishforums.com/polish_s...-17_139_0.html

Stosh:

You may be right.

My parents spoke Polish in the house almost as a secret languange. When I and my brother and sisters caught on they switched to quiet English in their bedroom.

Our parochial school taught Polish through the third grade. I can still curse a little bit but am disappointed that I have no functional ability of the language.

I can, of course, order a beer in Polish and Spanish.

Wait... that's functional,.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Stosh:

You may be right.

My parents spoke Polish in the house almost as a secret languange. When I and my brother and sisters caught on they switched to quiet English in their bedroom.

Our parochial school taught Polish through the third grade. I can still curse a little bit but am disappointed that I have no functional ability of the language.

I can, of course, order a beer in Polish and Spanish.
    Sheesh. My parents did that as well, as well as aunts and grandmother. It's a shame, I would have had a little better understanding of the language. Just the basics for me. Of course I did have a Polish class in school as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast