Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default uDetroit Cafe-An Experiment to Boost Detroit Music and Community

So, I'm late to this game...I know...but finally stopped into this new bar/restaurant Thursday after the Model D Media discussion on Music Industry.

uDetroit Cafe Website

It was founded by the Pastoria brothers [[of recording studio fame, at least) and another investor I was honored to meet...I heard enough of their mission and quest to know that they deserve support. Some of you might've heard the interview with Brian on WDET...I cannot remember if it was on Craig Fahle's show, or Ann Delisi's.

The club itself isn't very large...I'd bet seating isn't more than 50...but standing room for events might double that, if the Fire Marshall doesn't freak. They have a small stage in the front window that continually streams the events on-line, and have scheduled a good number of artists and personalities to host shows periodically.

The drinks are reasonably priced, the majority of the waitstaff are excellent, and the management seems to be open to suggestion for improvement...if there are any complaints. I had none with my food...LOL...and they have some great inventive names for things on the menu.

So far, excessive volume during lunch hour...and definitely during the evening show I've attended...seems to be an issue. They responded well to my solutions, and if anyone had difficulty in the past...they certainly would like to hear about 'em so it can be corrected [[and ask for another chance to please their critics, I'm sure). Turns out there are a few things they need to complete with the sound system installation...and they are installing glass doors on the front of the stage for isolation during some interviews and other events.

All things considered, the uDetroit Cafe is a gem. I suspect they will need to annex the space on either side of them for future growth! Maybe they can buy one of the parking lots in that area, too.

It is time to lobby the City Council about the parking meter issue, as well. Going outside to chase the hour-meters is a pain in the ass...and this whole 10 o'clock end time is ridiculous. But that is still a better option for me than enriching the surface lot owners...

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; August-27-11 at 06:56 PM.

speaking of parking meters, can anyone verify that the meters on Elizabeth, in front of the Bucharest Grill, are faulty?

Bump...don't know preserve.

As for the uDetroit Cafe...going down for a program Wednesday night...there are a few 'DJs' that highlight various Detroit talent, and spread the word about the happenings in town. Wednesday is a fellow by the name of Nadir Omowale, who also is the spearhead behind the www.DetroitMusic.tv website. I expect good things from them, too!

Might be there Thursday, as well. Last week was too much fun to risk missing more.

Cheers